2nds Official Swans Academy Thread (Player News and Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder how many points Brisbane will need for Ashcroft?

Top 5 as it stands.

Ben Camporeale top 5 for blues

Lucas Camporeale top 20 for blues

Our boys... maybe top 20 for Harrison and top 40 for Woods and Cochran. Will depend on their performance

Was there a reason we let go of, or lost, Buckley to the Giants… it really hurts because he’s exactly the player we need right now! 🤦‍♂️

He quit the academy at 15

"To be honest, I just didn't think I was that good by," Buckley told AFL.com.au.

"I wasn't getting picked for any of the games. I enjoyed playing at the Maroubra Saints on a Sunday, but I wasn't loving it. The intensity wasn't anything great. It was just at that time in my life, I was 15 and to be honest, I just didn't really care enough and I didn't see myself being an AFL footballer. I had the dream, but I didn't think it was achievable.

The Giants took a flyer on him at the age of 20 in 2017 as a Cat B rookie after 6 games in their reserves. Spent 3 years on their rookie list and missed another year with an ACL.

Can’t fault anyone here for once. Kid just didn’t want it enough at 15.

Woods - played in the middle and he plays exactly like Papley when in the middle
Genuinely mistook him for papley at first glance, they even bloody look the same!

Scouting Notes: 2023 AFL Under 17 Futures

TEAM SELWOOD:

Joe Harrison (Swans Academy)
Midfielder | 179cm | 20/07/2006

Another player who was utilised in all thirds of the ground, Harrison’s contested game and general competitiveness were on show across all roles he was deployed in. He cracked in consistently hard to win the footy or stop opposition players from moving freely with ball in hand, while also Harrison proving proficient when moving the ball by hand himself with quick passes to release outside runners.

Mitchell Woods (Swans Academy)
Midfielder/Forward | 179cm | 15/05/2006

Woods is a player who got better as the game wore on, initially getting involved with his defensive pressure before eventually finding his share of possession. The talented dual-sport athlete was energetic with ball in hand, driving his legs and stepping opponents in short spurts to help drive Team Naitanui forward. He started up forward, but also got a run at the centre bounces and spent time on the wing.

Joel Cochran (Swans Academy)
Forward | 195cm | 28/03/2006

It wasn’t an overly prolific day for Cochran, though he took his moments to hit the scoreboard with two goals. Having played a key role in the Swans Academy’s Under 16 championships as a defender/ruck, the tall utility plied his trade as a forward on Saturday and made it work. His first goal came via a recovery and snap in term two, before he earned a free kick in term three and slotted the set shot.

Scouting Notes: 2023 AFL Under 17 Futures

TEAM SELWOOD:

Joe Harrison (Swans Academy)
Midfielder | 179cm | 20/07/2006

Another player who was utilised in all thirds of the ground, Harrison’s contested game and general competitiveness were on show across all roles he was deployed in. He cracked in consistently hard to win the footy or stop opposition players from moving freely with ball in hand, while also Harrison proving proficient when moving the ball by hand himself with quick passes to release outside runners.

Mitchell Woods (Swans Academy)
Midfielder/Forward | 179cm | 15/05/2006

Woods is a player who got better as the game wore on, initially getting involved with his defensive pressure before eventually finding his share of possession. The talented dual-sport athlete was energetic with ball in hand, driving his legs and stepping opponents in short spurts to help drive Team Naitanui forward. He started up forward, but also got a run at the centre bounces and spent time on the wing.

Joel Cochran (Swans Academy)
Forward | 195cm | 28/03/2006

It wasn’t an overly prolific day for Cochran, though he took his moments to hit the scoreboard with two goals. Having played a key role in the Swans Academy’s Under 16 championships as a defender/ruck, the tall utility plied his trade as a forward on Saturday and made it work. His first goal came via a recovery and snap in term two, before he earned a free kick in term three and slotted the set shot.

I don't know, two goals for Cochran seems pretty good in such a high standard game. He was not up against any easy players in that game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given that Woods is 179cm I wonder if he would lean towards AFL as 179cm is a bit on the smaller side for an NRL player.

Not sure if you've ever watched a game of NRL, but the halves(5/8th,1/2) and hooker are around ~180cm

LCulturally, that's not as big a thing in Sydney as it is in Melbourne.

One of theBris Academy kids iirc is in Melbourne boarding at school but is still connected to their Academy

It is one of the few legit means of competing with Leeeeeg.

Not sure what else we can do. 😭

Seven young players from the QBE Sydney Swans Academy have been awarded scholarships to assist their progression through the elite training program.

Well done to Joel - only 1 of 2 NSW boys in the 2024 AFL Academy group!

Also interesting to see how Jobe goes (not tied to an Academy)

Well done to Joel - only 1 of 2 NSW boys in the 2024 AFL Academy group!

Also interesting to see how Jobe goes (not tied to an Academy)

Interesring that Harrison didn't get a place, but strong mid group in 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds Official Swans Academy Thread (Player News and Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back