Our best 5 players since 1990

Remove this Banner Ad

Depends on how you view stats to impact on the game.

Cunnington has Boomer covered easily.

If I'm an opposition player i would rather Harvey play than Cunners.
Tell that to that Franchina fella from Carlton. He has nightmares about the day he was trying to run back and forth chasing Boomer. You mightn't get the ball off Ben, but you'd be run off your feet tailing Boomer.

1. Carey
2. Harvey
3. Stevens

I think after that it gets very subjective, and subject to nostalgia or recency bias, as well as position bias.

Rucks - McKernan or Goldstein? Or neither?
Backs - Does Archer or Martyn make it?
Forwards - Longmire or Petrie?
Mids - Schwass, Grant and Bell or Swallow, Simpson & Cunnington?

Could make an argument for any of these.

My personal opinion is 4. Grant and 5. Goldstein - but many would feel stiff.

Carey
McKernan
Archer
Longmire
Martyn

Another interesting thread would be Best 5 who have played < 150 games? And < 100 game?

Worth scanning down this list, it is sorted by games played
Just noticed Charlie Cameron played for NMFC in 1926-1934

For context, All Australians since 1990
7 - Carey
4 - Harvey
3 - Archer
2 - King
1 - Longmire, McKernan, Bell, Pickett, Stevens, Grant, Goldstein, Thompson, Petrie

It depends if we are going overall contribution, including longevity, or just peak year.

I'm going to put Carey, Archer and Boomer in.

Goldy is hard to pass by for either. He was legitimately a top 5 player in the comp in 2015 and has longevity.

Lastly, I am leaning towards McKernan. He was MVP and top Brownlow vote getter in 1996. He was arguably the best player in the comp that season.

So...
Carey, Boomer, Archer, Goldy, McKernan ... followed by a lot of guys that I feel bad for leaving out

I'd say Schwass better than Stevens in many ways.

Schwass best for swans.

Was Stevo our best?

Schwass was a more dynamic player at North than Sydney. He was a hb there picking up cheap stats.

Stevens was better for longer. B&F in a premiership season. Barely missed a top 3 finish.

Firrito my favourite player. (as did Dumont)

Had to say as he treated my daughter with such respect.

I wouldn't put Boomer in my top 5. Nothing personal just not good enough.
hmmmm interesting exercise...Boomer won 5 Syd Barkers....what is also intersting is how we rate our "best players" vs how the coaches do for players performing their role in any one season...eg/ Brawlings 3 Syd Barkers.

Personally:
Carey, McKernan, Boomer, Cunners, Archer.....

Love to include Schwatter and Shagger in there as well who funny enough we traded one for the other.....win win for both clubs.

Also back to "role players" I'd have to give special mention to a player that few would even consider on here but he bled blue and white, one of my all time favourite players, AND probably one of the best small forwards in the history of the club, and probably the best since 1990,,,Lindsay Thomas. Guy kicked 32 goals in just his second season, kicked a bag of 7, 6 and multiple bags of 5. Who'd forget his opening few minutes lighting up the semi against geelong 2014? Career best of 53 goals in the 2013 season. Yet if you google his name all that comes up is hits on selwood, ducking, and a bunch of negative stuff......the media hounded the guy, yet he was tough and resilient.....I personally rate him on par or better than Charlie Cameron for example who the media love.....different times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Carey
2. Harvey
3. Stevens

I think after that it gets very subjective, and subject to nostalgia or recency bias, as well as position bias.

Rucks - McKernan or Goldstein? Or neither?
Backs - Does Archer or Martyn make it?
Forwards - Longmire or Petrie?
Mids - Schwass, Grant and Bell or Swallow, Simpson & Cunnington?

Could make an argument for any of these.

My personal opinion is 4. Grant and 5. Goldstein - but many would feel stiff.

Wristo_ likes this.

How dare you reach into my subconscious and post my thoughts on a matter I haven't even read about yet.

The only possible change would be Stevens or Archer for Schwass.
Yeah I can live with Arch replacing him but 2 x Syd Barkers, 3 x SOO, AA, NMTOTC and quite simply the fact that Schwatta was so scintillating to watch live he gets the nod for mine. What a footballer he was.

Yeah I can live with Arch replacing him but 2 x Syd Barkers, 3 x SOO, AA, NMTOTC and quite simply the fact that Schwatta was so scintillating to watch live he gets the nod for mine. What a footballer he was.

I guess that's where "best" becomes interpretative - best in a short burst of form (McAdam, Abraham) vs best for a sustained period vs best in terms of overall contribution to club fortunes on-field.

Stevens doesn't get on the first 2 criteria but a B&F in a premiership year pushes him in on the last 1.

#6-10 post-1990 in no particular order:

Goldstein
King
Pickett
S.Thompson
Petrie

Corey didn’t even win the B&F in ‘96, but I still think it’s the greatest single season I’ve seen from a North player. For a brief period there he looked superior to Carey.

I reckon Schwass is criminally underrated in North lore.

Yes "Seriously""

I'd prefer Cunnington in my team over Harvey easily.
I get that it's opinion but this seems a strange one. We all love Cunners, but Boomer is a 4 time all-Australian and 5 time Syd Barker Medallist. Cunners has never been all-Aus and has 2 Syds playing in weaker teams.

I'll interpret "best" as meaning who would you pick playing at their best, rather than longevity.

1- Carey
2- McKernan
3- Boomer
4- Archer
5 - Stevens

Remove this Banner Ad

Our best 5 players since 1990

Remove this Banner Ad

Back