Our Midfield

Remove this Banner Ad

Getting a little nervous about the mids becoming very '1 paced'

Prestia-Cotchin-Martin-Graham-Ross-Taranto-Hopper, none of whom have an explosive turn of speed.

We're really going to have to rely a lot on the outside players to provide that link with speed and delivery, ie: Bolton-Sonsie-Rioli-Rioli-Picket etc.

I'm not concerned. Our pace has never come from our inside midfielders. We've had Prestia and Cotchin in the middle who both are great through traffic and then Graham, Edwards and Ross taking the third spot. None of these players are what you'd all lightning fast. Taranto and Hopper would have it all over these guys in a foot race. We rotate Bolton through from time to time which would not change adding these two new additions.

Where are real pace comes from is our wingman, half backs and half forwards. They are feed the ball, chain up and race forward. This would not change but the amount of time s we win the ball to get it into their hands would.

He is a forward.

Plays a bit like Daffy but primarily a good forward hopefully.

Those trying to make him something else is against the applecart and ignoring the grains in the wood of precedence
But he was drafted as a mid/forward and probably would have been trained as one if he hadn't done a knee. He found a niche as a forward in his comeback. Stack played as a forward but he is a back. Ross was a centre mid but has played all over the park looking for a more rounded player. The Daffy comparison is not to bad, but Daffy played a lot up the ground and occasionally through the middle. Just think deep forward is a killer position unless you can jup on heads like Modra or lightening quick.

Last edited:
in the contest sidewards movement counts for more [than] off the mark speed

mood GIF

Career averages of Hopper & Taranto. Career averages always going to lower than a peak season for example.
1662616553168.png
By comparison below is our best inside mid, Dion Prestia at his B&F season in 2019
1662616680279.png

:fire: Nankervis - Prestia - Hopper - Taranto - Cotchin - Bolton - Martin - Sonsie :fire:
Holy **** that bats deep even without the inclusions of Graham, Ross etc

Where would that midfield stock rate in the comp? Only behind Melbourne and Bulldogs maybe?

:fire: Nankervis - Prestia - Hopper - Taranto - Cotchin - Bolton - Martin - Sonsie :fire:
Holy * that bats deep even without the inclusions of Graham, Ross etc

Where would that midfield stock rate in the comp? Only behind Melbourne and Bulldogs maybe?
More then anything, it gives us flexibility. Cotch, Prestia, Martin call all miss games to rest up.

So what do you think the order of our pure midfielders will be?

For mine, at this early stage, it would be -

1. Prestia
2. Taranto
3. Hopper
4.Cotchin
5. Graham
6. Sonsie

Backups/Part timers would be -

7. Bolton
8. Dusty
9. Ross
10. Short
11. RCD

Wings -

McIntosh, Pickett, Ralph-Smith, Banks, Brown,

You could also play Cumberland, Baker, and Rioli (either) through there.

To me that's a bloody strong midfield line up with plenty of developing depth. Our midfield has suddenly gone from a weakness to a strength. I'm looking forward to seeing how it match's up against the better midfields in the league. Imagine how much we'll score if we begin to win the contested ball count! :oops:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So what do you think the order of our pure midfielders will be?

For mine, at this early stage, it would be -

1. Prestia
2. Taranto
3. Hopper
4.Cotchin
5. Graham
6. Sonsie

Backups/Part timers would be -

7. Bolton
8. Dusty
9. Ross
10. Short
11. RCD

Wings -

McIntosh, Pickett, Ralph-Smith, Banks, Brown,

You could also play Cumberland, Baker, and Rioli (either) through there.

To me that's a bloody strong midfield line up with plenty of developing depth. Our midfield has suddenly gone from a weakness to a strength. I'm looking forward to seeing how it match's up against the better midfields in the league. Imagine how much we'll score if we begin to win the contested ball count! :oops:

The vfl team looks to potentially have a fairly competitive bunch.

Depending on who comes and goes -

Ross (medi sub senior team?)
Sonsie
Dow.
Rcd.
Stack.

Brown or banks might be seen as inside too

I'd be really interested to see the stats for oppo scores from stoppages and where we ranked against the competition, I would think that with the addition of TT and Hopper that stat would diminish considerably

Trade period will address inside mids need, I’d like to see another gut running 2-way mid on the list ala Lambert.
Maybe Banks eventually ends up in this role or maybe wing , Clarke a high hf, but think it’s a need that could be addressed later in the draft or the RD.

Trade period will address inside mids need, I’d like to see another gut running 2-way mid on the list ala Lambert.
Maybe Banks eventually ends up in this role or maybe wing , Clarke a high hf, but think it’s a need that could be addressed later in the draft or the RD.
Ross did a fair job of it. Played mainly half forward but worked up the ground and back. His creativity with the ball was his strongest suite, who would have thought those words would ever be in the same sentence, but his running game went to a new level as well. Not exactly a Lambert clone, but was in our best half a dozen players in the the last few games of the year playing a similar role so you can't do much more than that.

Banks looks like a wingman so with Pickett 31 next year and MacIntosh 29, those spots will become available at some stage. Reckon both Banks and Clarke are another year away so no hurry. Hugo is more likely.

We have replaced the creative players like Edwards , Lambert , Cotchin and Dusty in the midfield with Hopper
And Taranto .
The balance is completely rooted .
Neither hopper or Taranto are great at release a player from stoppages , nor creative by hand or foot or got great pace .
If club continues with these two blokes playing excessive minutes within the midfield together our midfield is going to continue to got smoked .
Players like Sonsie , Shai , baker and even Cotchin who can actually hurt the opposition from stoppages must play more midfield minutes .

Remove this Banner Ad

Our Midfield

Remove this Banner Ad

Back