Autopsy Our Season - so how do you reckon we went?

Remove this Banner Ad

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
yes I know there's still a game to play but I had some time on my hands at lunch so I thought I'd crunch some numbers. We all know this has been our best season yet. I would have taken 10 wins at the beginning of the year - we're already a game ahead of that with a winnable one to come. But just how good has our year been?

Weeks in the top 8
2015: 14 (rds 1-12 & 15-16)
2014: 4 (rds 1-4)

Highest ladder position
2015: 2 (rd 4)
2014: 5 (rd 1)

Lowest ladder position
2015: 11 (rd 21)
2014: 18 (rd 12)

10 goal wins
2015: 3
2014: 1

10 goal losses
2015: 2
2014: 6 (inc. 2 100+ losses)

Average scores For
2015: 85
2014: 81
2013: 69
2012: 58

Average scores Against
2014: 105
2013: 136
2012: 125

Of our 10 highest scores - 5 have come this year (number to beat v D's - 104)
Of our 10 lowest scores - 1 has come this year (although 42 against Geelong equals v Syd & Rich last year but in those two games we conceded 171 and 163 points respectively - cats only scored 69) that's the number to avoid v D's.

None of our 10 highest scores conceded have come this year (number to avoid v D's - 157)
6 of our 10 lowest scores conceded have come this year (number to beat v D's - 67)

6 of our 10 biggest wins have come this year (number to beat v D's - 32)
None of our 10 biggest losses have come this year (number to avoid v D's - 113)

Average crowds at Spotless are up by 1425 over 2014 and 2365 over the three year aggregate
Average crowds at Manuka are up by 1924 over 2014 and 1802 over the three year aggregate

All in all things are definitely on the rise. We're scoring more, conceding less and being watched by more people. Happy times.

what are your thoughts on the season just (almost) gone?
The good
The bad
The ugly
The outstanding

yes I know there's still a game to play but I had some time on my hands at lunch so I thought I'd crunch some numbers. We all know this has been our best season yet. I would have taken 10 wins at the beginning of the year - we're already a game ahead of that with a winnable one to come. But just how good has our year been?

Weeks in the top 8
2015: 14 (rds 1-12 & 15-16)
2014: 4 (rds 1-4)

Highest ladder position
2015: 2 (rd 4)
2014: 5 (rd 1)

Lowest ladder position
2015: 11 (rd 21)
2014: 18 (rd 12)

10 goal wins
2015: 3
2014: 1

10 goal losses
2015: 2
2014: 6 (inc. 2 100+ losses)

Average scores For
2014: 81
2013: 69
2012: 58

Average scores Against
2014: 105
2013: 136
2012: 125

Of our 10 highest scores - 5 have come this year (number to beat v D's - 104)
Of our 10 lowest scores - 1 has come this year (although 42 against Geelong equals v Syd & Rich last year but in those two games we conceded 171 and 163 points respectively - cats only scored 69) that's the number to avoid v D's.

None of our 10 highest scores conceded have come this year (number to avoid v D's - 157)
6 of our 10 lowest scores conceded have come this year (number to beat v D's - 67)

6 of our 10 biggest wins have come this year (number to beat v D's - 32)
None of our 10 biggest losses have come this year (number to avoid v D's - 113)

Average crowds at Spotless are up by 1425 over 2014 and 2365 over the three year aggregate
Average crowds at Manuka are up by 1924 over 2014 and 1802 over the three year aggregate

All in all things are definitely on the rise. We're scoring more, conceding less and being watched by more people. Happy times.

what are your thoughts on the season just (almost) gone?
The good
The bad
The ugly
The outstanding
Resignings this year have been a highlight too, especially Jezza and Shiel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aside from West Coast and the 2 Swans debacles I'd give us 8/10.

Off field signings have been brilliant thus far also.

The good
Games into Kelly, Williams, Haynes, Phillips, Lobb, Downie, Wilson etc
Increased home crowds & membership

The bad
Still no Barrett
Curtly goes missing
Injuries to Mumford and Shiel in particular

The ugly
Perth
Swans at home

The outstanding
11 or 12 wins
Key re-signings

The Good: Re-signing so many of our core and other key players. Heater. 11-12 wins!

The Bad: Injuries to key players at key times. Startrack Oval needs to be better. Slow starts!

The Ugly: The odd blow out loss still. Nollsy. Rory Lobb's goal kicking style!

The Good: Re-signing so many of our core and other key players. Heater. 11-12 wins!

The Bad: Injuries to key players at key times. Startrack Oval needs to be better. Slow starts!

The Ugly: The odd blow out loss still. Nollsy. Rory Lobb's goal kicking style!

The Condobolin Kid?

Just looking after our patch of dirt...

The good-
-Thought we would get 10 and here we are with 11 maybe 12
-We didnt totally drop the bundle when massive injuries came into it
-Crowds on the up and the ratio of orange has massively increased
-Stars re-signing. Exodus? What exodus?
-Am very happy with how our young rucks are going. Hard to develop when your behind mummy and stuck in a shite comp like the NEAFL.
- Sydney Media is on the rise. Allot more good news stories this year. Even with members and crowds. No doom and gloom up here.
- The General returned and will get a full off season!

The Bad-
- Fricken slow starts. We are getting murdered or held in that 1st quarter and sometimes into the 2nd.
- We should be playing finals. We are good enough. (More disappointment than bad)
- The treloar show. Love the kid but he was the most vocal about the love of the club and didnt need to be. He should of followed Shiels lead.
-No Barrett. Worried the kid will head off for game time. Cant blame him though

Ugly-
- Our Aim. We are terrible in front of goal. If we kicked straight some pretty big records would of fallen this year and we would of played finals.
- Perth. We have got to stop playing there. I dont know what it is but we need to ban playing in sandgroper territory.
- Swans at spotless. Painfull terrible rotten and in front of our largest crowd.
Edit. Also that dull boring game against the cats in a sold out canberra...
-Melbourne media still seem to think we are doomed and players want out. Even after the new tv deal. Morons.

The amusing-
-Inamedthegiants meltdowns on a big loss. It puts a smile on my face when feeling down.
-G-Man. That guy rocks.

Last edited:
The good-
-Thought we would get 10 and here we are with 11 maybe 12
-We didnt totally drop the bundle when massive injuries came into it
-Crowds on the up and the ratio of orange has massively increased
-Stars re-signing. Exodus? What exodus?
-Am very happy with how our young rucks are going. Hard to develop when your behind mummy and stuck in a shite comp like the NEAFL.
- Sydney Media is on the rise. Allot more good news stories this year. Even with members and crowds. No doom and gloom up here.
- The General returned and will get a full off season!

The Bad-
- Fricken slow starts. We are getting murdered or held in that 1st quarter and sometimes into the 2nd.
- We should be playing finals. We are good enough. (More disappointment than bad)
- The treloar show. Love the kid but he was the most vocal about the love of the club and didnt need to be. He should of followed Shiels lead.
-No Barrett. Worried the kid will head off for game time. Cant blame him though

Ugly-
- Our Aim. We are terrible in front of goal. If we kicked straight some pretty big records would of fallen this year and we would of played finals.
- Perth. We have got to stop playing there. I dont know what it is but we need to ban playing in sandgroper territory.
- Swans at spotless. Painfull terrible rotten and in front of our largest crowd.
-Melbourne media still seem to think we are doomed and players want out. Even after the new tv deal. Morons.

The amusing-
-Inamedthegiants meltdowns on a big loss. It puts a smile on my face when feeling down.
-G-Man. That guy rocks.
Glad I could help mate!!

Even happier it's only been 3 times this year.

The good=got all our injuries this year andearly recovery for 2016 +_general back was also bonus.
The bad=3 ruckman to choose from next year.
The ugly=Perff.must stop having dinner at Coniglio's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DUDE!!!!???? WHAT THE heck???????

Its along the lines of we should have a good year of injuries next year when our players will be even better, because of the disaster of this year. Right @vanpeebles?
Getting operations out of the road early and not post season is a must in todays footy.
Recovery and preseason training will be all better for 2016.
Better off having all your injuries in one year,rather than into the year of your top 4 expectation year.
2016 onwards is our big years to come,this year was always just another step in the right direction.

The good:
- Beating the defending premiers and going on to notch up 11 (hopefully to tick over to 12) wins
- The re-signings off all our young stars
- The emergence of young guys like Buntine, Haynes, Corr, Steele, Williams
- Heater with AA form all year
- Mumford getting through has first season without getting a suspension (ignore the bit where he missed half the season injured)

The bad:
- the injuries - all came at once and just derailed what was looking like a maiden finals birth
- the two debarcles against the swans and the eagles

All in all, a successful season - sets a great platform for next year.

I set the bar at 10 wins at the start of the season and when big mummy went down I thought we might struggle but they pulled together, I think this year is a big success

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best win - Round 6 against Hawthorn - our maiden win agains the Hawks, the only top 4 side we managed to beat

Worst loss - the home derby against the Swans - injuries aside, we didn't turn up to play

Must do better in 2016
a) the derbies
b) our trips to Perth
c) our record against the Eagles, wherever we play them

Objective for 2016 - top 8 finish

I think we deserve a B-

Would of said a B if we won today but that loss was rubbish.

The boys keep improving but really need to work extra hard in the off season and we need an infusion of new ideas to help Leon.

Brereton may be a self proclaimed God but if he can't coach our forwards to utilise complimentary leading patterns than he can piss off to a solarium.

Every expert has questioned why all our forwards hold back and wait for the ball...it's nuts.

Sunshine should just be asked to watch Barry Hall tapes and told to lead in and work. The kid loves to play but give him a plan. Tomlinson should be used the same way.

We seem to only be able to attack up the middle but when our time is cut we fall apart and have no plan B.

Bring in Johnson and if necessary give him a 12 month deal. He's smart and would be a point of difference. Move on one of our talls and use the bounty to get an experienced ruck and a mature 195 KPD.

If we do nothing I feel we will stagnate and actually fall behind a few teams.

Balls in your court Gubby and Leon

I was really happy to see significant improvement with our defence... We drastically reduced points against per game. I was also happy with the improvement in the forward line.... I though the McCarthy Cameron combination was awesome to watch. Obviously there is still improvement to be had but it seemed to move in the right direction at both ends of the field

I wasn't really happy with the development of the midfield to be honest. I thought our contested ball, our stoppage work and our defensive efforts in the midfield were simply not up to scratch for most of the season. Its a stupid talented midfield group but if that isnt matched by output and effort then it counts for little. I want huge leaps and gains in this are next year

I was really happy to see significant improvement with our defence... We drastically reduced points against per game. I was also happy with the improvement in the forward line.... I though the McCarthy Cameron combination was awesome to watch. Obviously there is still improvement to be had but it seemed to move in the right direction at both ends of the field

I wasn't really happy with the development of the midfield to be honest. I thought our contested ball, our stoppage work and our defensive efforts in the midfield were simply not up to scratch for most of the season. Its a stupid talented midfield group but if that isnt matched by output and effort then it counts for little. I want huge leaps and gains in this are next year
Wonder if Lenny will have an influence there? Hope so. I agree that we went backwards a little there missing Mummy and Shiel doesn't help.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Our Season - so how do you reckon we went?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back