Our top 5 Coodabeens

Remove this Banner Ad

Hojuman - you were an u19 watcher.

Eric Lissenden

Another consideration is the Great McCarthy.

And Digby Morrell - we saw him almost set the G on fire one Friday night. What happened?

And Gasometer would be nominating Shannon Watts I reckon.
I liked Shannon. I knew someone who knew him back in the day and said he was a top bloke. What I disliked was the constant Whipping Boy that became him on here.

But I digress

The big Jase D for mine; set the G on fire in 97 in the Saints Preliminary for all the wrong reasons

But I’ve also heard he’s a top bloke

No argument from me. John Rantall and Tiger Croswell up there too.

Was thinking on Sam too. He burst onto the scene like a shooting star, but between his knee, his brother and off field adventures we really never saw the best of him sadly.
Thinking back l'll make a BIG statement -
he coudda been Ablett snr.but better.

Was thinking on Sam too. He burst onto the scene like a shooting star, but between his knee, his brother and off field adventures we really never saw the best of him sadly.
Dunno about better than Ablett. Didn’t have as good a leap. But had pace and huge strength. Could have been as good though. That’s an enormous wrap. He was like Petracca but about twice as good. Good luck getting in front of him. He worked with my Dad when he first came down. In insurance. Can you think of anything he was less suited to ?

Dunno about better than Ablett. Didn’t have as good a leap. But had pace and huge strength. Could have been as good though. That’s an enormous wrap. He was like Petracca but about twice as good. Good luck getting in front of him. He worked with my Dad when he first came down. In insurance. Can you think of anything he was less suited to ?

Publican ?

Veganism.

Daw
Garner
Harper
McKenzie
Jacobs
Very good call tZ.

I'd almost consider w80 a coodabeen. He was great for us but if hadn't lost so many games to injury, especially in 2016, then who knows where we'd have ended up.

Mark Powell. Could of been seen in our club colours but decided to quit after we recruited him (traded pick 61 for him).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very good call tZ.

I'd almost consider w80 a coodabeen. He was great for us but if hadn't lost so many games to injury, especially in 2016, then who knows where we'd have ended up.
It's funny with w80, I used to rib Carlton mates about the fact that he was the next big thing year in, year out, way past the usual break out player age. Then with us I felt he was cruelly cut down before his time.

Ben Brown

Mark Powell. Could of been seen in our club colours but decided to quit after we recruited him (traded pick 61 for him).
Other coodabeen North greats who never actually appeared in our club colours despite originally committing to play for us were Alex Jesaulenko and Nathan Buckley. Another who never played a senior match for us was Michael Kekovich

John Mossop
Mark Hepburn
Peter Spencer , a couple who spring to mind

Also, for those older than me, I vaguely remember Graham Melrose.
How good was he?
Very unlucky to be injured on most grand final days.
Did we see his best?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Other coodabeen North greats who never actually appeared in our club colours despite originally committing to play for us were Alex Jesaulenko and Nathan Buckley. Another who never played a senior match for us was Michael Kekovich
Also Dick Clay. Originally signed with us, then later was offered a radio by Richmond to sign with them. Radio just happened to come with a car wrapped around it!

I always thought Carman was an apt comparison for Sam. Super athletic big man who on his day could tear you to shreds but ultimately held back from true greatness by his temperament.

Blake Grima was a good shout. Descimated with injury (shoulder and hammies from memory). He was a very similar player to Will Phillips as I recall.

Paul Spargo from eons back (although he was the first whipping boy that I can remember).

JWS - Larke medalist in a draft class that included Franklin, Delidio, Roughy, Griffen. Seriously talented footballer who we were seriously short changed with

Daylight

Jonas - freakishly skilled footballer, freakishly injury prone

Ebert - came over after we chased him for years. Two ripping seasons before heading home to SA to rack up games and Margarey medals

Cornes - like Ebert, but only one season. Could have been a sliding door moment had he played 100 games for us. Could have had 2x Corn boys play for us F-S, and then perhaps little Corn may not have run the campaign to take JHF away so soon

Abernathy - another SA boy who played a couple of very good seasons before being lured away, this time by Collingwood, where he went on to being not much in a not much side

Remove this Banner Ad

Our top 5 Coodabeens

Remove this Banner Ad

Back