Recruited From: Norwood/Melbourne Reserves
Jumper #: 8
Debut: Round 1, March 28, 1998, Vs Carlton @ Princes Park
Career Game: 178
Career Goals: 23
Honours: Best Team Man 2005
...........................Runner up Best & Fairest 2005
...........All Australian 2006

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: #8 - Nathan Bassett

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,23048296-23211,00.html

Bassett ready to soar for Crows

By Zac Milbank
January 14, 2008

ADELAIDE defender Nathan Bassett has put his hand up to play in every NAB Cup match, declaring his left ankle ready for the rigours of AFL football.

Bassett, who missed two months last season after having a pin inserted into his ankle, could be forgiven for easing himself into 2008.

But the 31-year-old, who failed in his brave bid to be fit for the Crows' elimination final against Hawthorn last year, is eager to throw his body into the fray again.

"I'd like to play as much as (coach) Neil (Craig) wants me to play in the NAB Cup," Bassett said after a recent trial game.

"If there's a game, I want to play. But we'll see how we go. I'm right to play this week if there was a game.

"(And) that was as hard a game as you can play out on the track today, so I feel like I'm right to go now. I'm back with the main group and my fitness is pretty reasonable."

Admitting his recovery had not gone to plan, Bassett said his confidence had soared during recent training runs.

"It's been a bit slow," the 190cm Bassett said.

"I feel like I can actually start to move and do the full work on the track again, so I'm starting to feel more positive about it.

"The bone has healed fine. It's just that some of the stiffness is still there, but that will work through.

"Once you get going, it's OK, so I feel pretty good at the moment."

Bassett has played 187 AFL games, but is refusing to think about scraping into the 200 club.

"I'm not sure at this stage, I'll see how I go," Bassett said of his future.

"I just want to do this year well. I'm contracted for this year, and my plan when I signed a two-year deal a year ago was to do both those years really well.

"I'll play as well as I can and see what happens."

Re: #8 - Nathan Bassett

http://afc.com.au/tabid/4417/News/NewsArticle/Default.aspx?newsId=54602

Bassett to ride for a cure
4:22 PM Mon 14 January, 2008

This weekend Nathan Bassett will bike ride 160kms through the picturesque Barossa Valley to raise much needed funds for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF).

Bassett, who was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when he was 19-years-old, will head the Team Crows Foundation cycling team made up of Adelaide Crows staff members who have been training over summer for the event.

On Monday Bassett took time out from football training to meet three young children with type 1 diabetes who will hopefully benefit from the funds raised over the week-end.

McKenzie Tilbrook (aged 5), Bryce Tindall (6) and Hayden Supple (5) are all too young to compete but Hayden's dad Andrew is one of over 100 competitors who have signed up for the 160km ride.

McKenzie's mum Kerri Tilbrook said knowing that Nathan Bassett lived with type 1 diabetes every day "kept it very real for children such as McKenzie".

"We watch the Crows on television and every time Nathan gets the ball it is mentioned in our house," Mrs Tilbrook said.

"It refreshing for children to know that you can live a normal, active and healthy life with type 1 diabetes.

"Nathan is a role model for children such as my daughter McKenzie, for far more than just being a star footballer."

McKenzie was diagnosed when she was just 18 months old and needs regular insulin injections to keep her blood sugar levels normal.

Bassett too, injects insulin daily and has several blood tests and up to six insulin injections on game day.

Anyone interested in making a donation this week to Team Crows Foundation can either donate by going to www.crowsfoundation.org.au or enter the link below: http://ride.jdrf.org.au/thecrowsfoundation

The dedicated team has set a target of $60k to raise for JDRF and late last year held a Quiz Night which raised $10k. Thanks to all those who supported the evening including Jim Murphy for his generous donation of a houseboat.

Team members include pictured from back left Tim Baker, Nick Takos (Corporate Development and Melbourne Operations Manager), Allison Kane (Brand Coordinator), Josh Smith, Graeme Dunstan (Football Manager), David Couch (Membership Manager), Tate Kaesler (Merchandise Manager). Front left: Jack Kane and Nathan Bassett (absent: Kris Rule and Stephen Sanders)

You are invited to play a vital part in the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF) international challenge to find a cure for diabetes and its complications. You can challenge diabetes and challenge yourself at the Ride to Cure Diabetes, a spectacular bike ride to be held in the Barossa Valley, South Australia from 18-20 January 2008.

Open to individuals and teams, the Ride to Cure Diabetes is a weekend adventure. You will enjoy the challenge of an amazing bike ride (you choose the distance that suits you, 35, 80 or 160 km) in a stunning location with inspiring, like minded people. Most importantly, you will have the satisfaction of knowing that you are making a significant contribution to finding a cure for diabetes by raising funds for the best and most promising Australian diabetes research.

Looks like Bass is going to prematurely become an old man and he's dragging Scott Stevens along with him...:D

Crackerjack future for former Crow

Andrew Faulkner | November 08, 2008

Article from: The Australian
FACED with the vexed 'life after football' question, newly retired Crows defender Nathan Bassett contemplated a return to the grade cricket ranks of his youth.
But deciding his "chances of playing state cricket are nil" (given the Redbacks' woes some might disagree), he is donning the flannels on a different arena - a lawn bowling green.
Bassett, 31, makes his pennant bowls debut today for the Sturt club in Adelaide's well-heeled inner suburbs.
The 210-game veteran's competitive juices flow so strongly he is determined to give this new challenge his all, and perhaps, if all goes well, add national bowling honours to his 2006 All Australian football guernsey.
Bassett's performance as a social bowler has already drawn an offer of tailored coaching from Bowls SA's high performance manager and former Test cricketer Jeff Hammond.
"I really warmed to his attitude," Hammond said yesterday after calling Bassett this week to discuss a future in bowls.
"If he puts in the same commitment he had for his football he'll be knocking on the door in three to four years.
"We've offered to fast-track his learning curve, you never know what will happen in the end."...

More at: http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24618355-5012432,00.html

was there any real reason for no 98 GF selection? or just didn't make the cut
Presumably he didn't make the cut. 1998 was the year he made his debut (R1 vs Carlton). He played 13 games, the last of which was in R19 vs Port. He played the first 10 games of the season, but only 3 after that point. 1999 was when he really established himself as a regular player in the team.

Presumably he didn't make the cut. 1998 was the year he made his debut (R1 vs Carlton). He played 13 games, the last of which was in R19 vs Port. He played the first 10 games of the season, but only 3 after that point. 1999 was when he really established himself as a regular player in the team.

thanks mate :thumbsu::thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back