Delisted Paul Cahill

Remove this Banner Ad

Code:
Pos Number Player       Age    Games    Price        2009            2008            2007       
                        DT     SC     Played    DT Avg    SC Avg    Played    DT Avg     SC Avg    Played    DT Avg     SC Avg
FWD 41 CAHILL, Paul    19    0    $94,500    $100,200 0    0.0    0.0    0    0.0    0.0    0    0.0    0.0

Could Paul Cahill ( In the tradition of Sam Fisher and James Gwilt, and Montagna ) be the real smokey from the 2008 draft. 6th last pick in the draft, he has missed out on a lot of the attention given to Lynch, Stanley and even A Smith.
His early games at Sandringham for 2010 seem to indicate he can get the ball and kick goals, maybe moreso than Lynch. The Saints site has him at 81 Kg ( last year ) but I read elsewhere that he is 85 Kg atm.

I admit that I havn't seen him play yet, but are there any bad reports?
What do those who have seen him think?

Going back to his comments at draft time:

In his own words
Strengths?
I’ve been fairly consistent. [I’ve shown] the ability to kick a few goals, pushing up the ground, quick leads.

Weaknesses?
Defensive pressure. That’s what I’ll be working on back at home – physical presence when tackling, just getting my attitude right as well, not dropping my head when things don’t go my way.

Which AFL team do you support?

No-one. I used to be a Crows (Adelaide) fan but I don’t like the style of footy they play anymore, so I just watch the good players that I aspire to be like.

Which AFL players do you try to model yourself on?

Buddy Franklin – he is the one for me. I just love the way he plays. He’s just electrifying. You can tell half the crowd’s there to watch him and the way he performs under pressure. He’s so young and he deals with all the pressure and media off the ground and still performs. And he kicks a few great goals as well. Nick Riewoldt is a bit of a softy but deals with all the hard nuts that are put on him. He doesn’t brawl. He also shows maturity, having taken on captaincy at a really young age.

He must have immediately thought about his comment on Roo when his name was read out by the Saints on draft day! :eek:

Would say his leap is his biggest asset, but unfortunately this has created a habit (assume from his junior days) of trying to outmark from behind. AFL defenders (as a rule) don't seem to get knocked off the ball that easily, so it's good to see that PC has been working harder on getting front position in the games I've seen this year.

Has reasonable skills and good goal sense.

Whilst PC and Lynch are about the same height, PC just seems to have a greater presence (to me, Lynchy is more of a scrounger who should maybe play up field - although he's a pretty deadly kick for goal).

Would be interesting to see how PC goes at the Dome with better delivery from the midfield, but I think the club will wait until next year - if he stays injury free and puts a bit more size on in the arms and kicking leg, he could definitely be a prospect for the post Kosi era.

From what I've seen he's behind Willy J and Walsh too. Unless the penny drops soon (nice bloke or not) Siposs might even go past him.

We are gathering a fair few tallish mediums.
Who was better last weekend. Fergason or Cahill?

Cahill is only 192 cm which will make it harder for him when, Stanley, Gilbert, Kosi, Walsh, Archer and Fergason are all taller, and I'd suspect some of them play better at ground level.

To make it as a medium he needs to be able to be a contested ball winner as well. He would need to be better than players like Gamble, Lynch, Siposs, Heyne etc.

I wouldn't write him off yet but he needs to do something this season.

He would be OK at ground level, other than trying to take possession one-handed too often. Kicks both sides and is reasonably accurate.

His problem is the same as Lynchy, in that he's not one grab with his marking under a little pressure (although Lynch took a couple of decent ones last week).

And whilst he works hard, it just appears (real or imagined) that his opponent often reads the play a half step quicker.

Whilst as a bloke on the street he's got a great physique, as a CHF with a decent sized and experienced VFL opponent he's just not the size you'd expect for a guy who's completed his 3rd pre-season.

Will we see a Walsh build over time and less of the Lynch build? Not sure.

I really do hope he comes on soon, as the club desparately needs a mobile forward (mobile like Gilbert but one who has the skills to use both sides and nail the goals more often than not).

I'm just not expecting it.

Just curious about what is happening with Cahill at the moment? I Checked the Sandringham seniors and reserves lineups for last weekend and he isnt listed. Is he not able to crack the ressies?? or please tell me he is just injured at the moment.

Thanks for the response, sad to hear that because I had really high hopes for him before he was drafted. Absolutely dominated at U17s but I guess playing against men is a whole different ball game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back