Paul Salmon

Remove this Banner Ad

Come on, it's not like his body's fallen apart in one year - he'll be a great pick up if he decides to do it.

If it doesn't succeed, so what - at least he's given it a go.

Come back Fish! (in fact, i just found a sig!)

:D :D Jeez...Leave it to Sheeds ...even off-season & he's got everyone talking...the guy's a phreak! LOL

The only unfunny bit would be .....lose Hardwick pick up er Salmon???

I hear Dunstall's thinking about having another go as well!
Bring on the senior side!

Originally posted by NYMets
Why dat??

The draftees have to be open to everyone?

Yep. Collingwood got fined a few years ago when Brett Chalmers said he wanted to only be drafted by Collingwood, and there was talk about Essendon being fined for James Davies reportedly saying he only wanted to play for Essendon.

So if Salmon does this.......could be interesting.

:D :D Jeez...Leave it to Sheeds ...even off-season & he's got everyone talking...the guy's a phreak! LOL

The only unfunny bit would be .....lose Hardwick pick up er Salmon???

I hear Dunstall's thinking about having another go as well!
Bring on the senior side!

Perhaps dunstall did think about it when he heard plugger had made over a million dollars out of being the all time goalkicker

Originally posted by RogerC
We're laughing now, but I haven't seen Sheedy make too many big mistakes. If he thinks Salmon is good enough to squeeze a year or two out of, it's probably true.

But I'll believe it when I see it.

I think they said barnes was past it

Firstly, if Paul Salmon thinks that he can get through another year of AFL football, then good luck to him. I sincerely hopes that he does well.

Secondly, if Essendon do draft Salmon, then the question has to be asked, "How will Sheedy use him?". If Salmon is used as the first ruck, I can't see him surviving beyond the first month. As he said when he retired, it was taking him up to three days to recover from a match. Although he's been able to put his feet up for the past year and a bit, I think that it wouldn't take too long for those aches to return. However, what happens if Sheedy uses Salmon as a pinch hitter? Throw him on when the game is tight.....the guy has over 300 games of experience behind him. Or if he's used as a relief ruckman? The last five or ten minutes of each quarter....he could be damn useful. I truly doubt that Salmon will be used as the Dons #1 ruck, but as a pinch hitter, there's merit in that idea.

Originally posted by Porthos
Yep. Collingwood got fined a few years ago when Brett Chalmers said he wanted to only be drafted by Collingwood,

Because it came to light that Collingwood actively encouraged him to do so.

and there was talk about Essendon being fined for James Davies reportedly saying he only wanted to play for Essendon.

"Talk", "reportedly", lots of supposition in there. Probably why there was no action taken eh?

What Salmon does is his business. The AFL could only fine Essendon if they have encouraged Salmon to tamper with the draft and so far I haven't seen the club say anything to this effect.

Given Salmon can be included on Essendon's veteran list and no-one else's most other clubs wont be able to draft him anyway. And I'd be willing to bet that most wont want to due to his age.

That's not to say that someone wont spring a surprise ;)

Yep. Collingwood got fined a few years ago when Brett Chalmers said he wanted to only be drafted by Collingwood, and there was talk about Essendon being fined for James Davies reportedly saying he only wanted to play for Essendon.

Porthos

I can just see all the clubs falling over themselves to draft fish first.:)

Originally posted by Dave

What Salmon does is his business. The AFL could only fine Essendon if they have encouraged Salmon to tamper with the draft and so far I haven't seen the club say anything to this effect.

Given Salmon can be included on Essendon's veteran list and no-one else's most other clubs wont be able to draft him anyway. And I'd be willing to bet that most wont want to due to his age.

That's not to say that someone wont spring a surprise ;)

I read somewhere today Salmon said if any club other than Essendon draft him he will retire again! Is that draft tampering? Or because he said, and not the club it's OK??

I don't think it matters much anyway, like mantis said, I can't see clubs falling over one another to get the Fish!

"Talk", "reportedly", lots of supposition in there. Probably why there was no action taken eh? Well, yeah. thats why I used those words.

Sure. Just that the AFL need to watch out in case they do....Fremantle are in the market for a ruckman, after all.

Originally posted by GOALden Hawk
I read somewhere today Salmon said if any club other than Essendon draft him he will retire again! Is that draft tampering?

Given past cases probably yes, but by Salmon, if indeed he has said this. I'd be very surprised if he did however.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sure. Just that the AFL need to watch out in case they do....

Ahh, you sir however said that the AFL could fine Essendon, insinuating they'd already done something wrong ;)

Fremantle are in the market for a ruckman, after all.

LOL! Have they got the salary cap room? :eek:

Ahh, you sir however said that the AFL could fine Essendon, insinuating they'd already done something wrong ;)
Thats right, they could. Are you saying that there's no way that they could? And insinuation is a fine, long established BigFooty tradition, I believe....I doubt that anyone in this thread is innocent of that :)
LOL! Have they got the salary cap room? :eek:
Do Essendon? I'm sure Fremantle can match anything that Essendon can afford to pay..

I meant it would be nice to see Fish at Hathorn for sentimental purposes, but its not logical. I hope he knows what he's doing. My Bomber mate was rapped to hear that they want him. :rolleyes:

Well everyone in Perth thought it was absurd when Guy McKenna spoke of a comeback...
but Paul Salmon coming back has topped that one in the crazy stakes.

It seems so silly and unfair for all the other young draftee hopefuls...why should Salmon get another shot of it instead of letting a young player have a shot at AFL football?

Why dat??

The draftees have to be open to everyone?
Also, speaking of old Dons, in that list somebody posted I didn't see Scotty Cummings. Is he staying put or totally gone?

He didn't nominate for the November 25th draft. But he is putting himself in the ring for the December draft.

Originally posted by GoEagles

He didn't nominate for the November 25th draft. But he is putting himself in the ring for the December draft.

I get thebiggest kick out of him. I wish he'd come here to Sydney & I could sit & eat pies and watch him kick a bag. This year I didn't see him do ****.:D

Originally posted by GOALden Hawk

If Fish wants to ruin his glorious career by another year in the Essendon medical room all the best to him.

First of it isn't going to ruin his career. Look at Michael Jordan for example. If he f*cks up with the Wizards it won't makes us think any less of him. He still achieved all those remarkable things.

Now Fish isn't MJ, but you can't take his achievements away from him. They will always be there. If he feels he still has something to offer, who are we to say that he can't do it? The only person that knows is him.

Salmon qualifies for Essendons veterans list - 10 years service and over 30.

There is nothing in the rules that says he can't leave the club and come back.

With Long and Wallis gone they have room for him without delisting anyone else and money isn't a factor at Essendon.

For Essendon there's no risk.

Originally posted by Dan25

First of it isn't going to ruin his career. Look at Michael Jordan for example. If he f*cks up with the Wizards it won't makes us think any less of him. He still achieved all those remarkable things.

Now Fish isn't MJ, but you can't take his achievements away from him. They will always be there. If he feels he still has something to offer, who are we to say that he can't do it? The only person that knows is him.

True - if Fish feels that he's up to it then good luck to him, but what id hate to see is him getting beaten by a younger, fitter, faster player.
His experience can only do so much for him....

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Essendon may have entered the last couple of seasons with less than the maximum amount of players on the list.

If Salmon is selected as Essendon's last player and it doesn't work out, no harm will be done. It's not any different to entering a season with 37 players instead of 38, and who knows - it may pay off! Ruckmen generally hit their peak whe they are older. Most can play well into their 30s. He is a year re-freshed, over his injuries, and we "need" (badly) a ruckman.

Perhaps it's worth the gamble? There is no reward without risk.

Remove this Banner Ad

Paul Salmon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back