Paul Salmon

Remove this Banner Ad

Some adelaide reporter got stuck into sheedy and fish on this one, blaming them for nearly all the AFLs problems. Keeping a place from a young hopeful etc

Total bull**** and I will say again - some people will be very suprised when this one comes off.

The only downside is hawthorn lose a graeat ruck coach and ironically they couldn't draft him and put him on the veterans's list. In fact the veterans's list came into force when Dunstall, the last of Hawthorns veterans retired.b

Its Lance Campbell.....aka `Lightweight Lance'

I find it odd, but mainly on account of how Fish used to labour the diminishing state of his body during his last year at Hawthorn.

I don't think age need necessarily be the be all and end all of such matters though. Ruckman are usually at their best during their thirties and Fish knows the art of rucking very well indeed. As Roger C said, Sheedy has a habit of pulling-off oddball moves and this may yet work in his favour. Essendon are clearly deficient in the ruck and I would suspect that -- even if they do draft Salmon -- they will be looking to get hold of a young beanpoll on Sunday. He'll need time, however, but if Salmon can stand-up and most of the team can stay healthy then he just may prove the difference by year's end.

I wonder what he's asking for this? Essendon, for all of its apparent salary cap woes have really only lost one player of significance, and would surely have zero room to manouvre in this regard at the moment.

Oh well, it certainly adds some spice to Sunday, that's for sure.

Kevin

Wont be to happy if he does come back and play.

When he did give it away the club (Hawks) did want him to go around again for the same sorts of reasons the Dons now want him. Ie, we didnt have any other ruckmen. To replace him we had to go after another aging 'risk' strategy in Rehn who came (considering his injury 'baggage') at a fairly high cost of a first round draft pick (not sure of the number).

Now, if Salmon had decided to rest and recuperate and tell the Hawks "Look, i need to take it easy, perhaps play 14-16 games in 2001" would the Hawks have considered it? I reckon they may have. They could have given him a lighter workload, let him go in 'soft games' (and I reckon that it does happen) so he could get a full rest period then maybe the Hawks may have been able to get another couple of seasons from the Fish as things stood.

Of course im speculating, but its still worth consideration. The Club DID want him to go on. They respected his wishes and gave him a great send of and truly he was embraced as a 'Hawthorn' man. This, if he chooses to make a comeback would in my eyes at least, diminish a lot of what made him so special to so many Hawks fans.

#12 to Adelaide, who traded it to Port for Matthew Bode. Port drafted Shaun Burgoyne, brother of Peter.

No worries, I need to get in form for Sunday ;)

At the moment, Hawthorn are doing pretty well out of that trade.

Originally posted by Grendel
This, if he chooses to make a comeback would in my eyes at least, diminish a lot of what made him so special to so many Hawks fans.

Grendel, hypotheticaly,
would he have been included in the Team Of The Century if this went ahead and the team was picked in 2 years time?
And,
do you think it should make a difference.

Oh, did you agree with his selection btw?

Just interested on a Hawthorn fans perspective.

Originally posted by MarkT

Grendel, hypotheticaly,
would he have been included in the Team Of The Century if this went ahead and the team was picked in 2 years time?
And,
do you think it should make a difference.

Oh, did you agree with his selection btw?

Just interested on a Hawthorn fans perspective.

Salmon should never have made the side. Crawford should of got on the bench ahead of him. They just rewarded Fish for his career at BOTH the Bombers & Hawks, which is wrong.

Originally posted by Grendel
This, if he chooses to make a comeback would in my eyes at least, diminish a lot of what made him so special to so many Hawks fans.
A bit harsh in my opinion. I don't think any footballer realises exactly what the void is going to be like once they give the game away. It's not like Salmon was thinking "i'll retire now at 35, sit out a year and then nominate for the draft to play".

I think the whole thing is just sad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mark, personally I dont think it would make much difference to Salmons selection in our team of the Century (rightly or wrongly).

As you say, to often players (though the Hawks stocks from the early part of our tenure in the league are exactly littered with choices) from the first half of the century are overlooked.

My own choice would be Peck in, Fish out.

Apple King, your right im being harsh, but its still how I feel about it. It just feels like 'betrayal' somehow. I guess it because I really wanted him to come to the Hawks in the first place when many at the time thought him to big a risk. Still love and admire what he did for the Hawks, guess to my view this just would take some of that gloss away.

Cheers.

Though I never saw Crimmins play personally, from what I've heard and been told, he was one of the most gutsy blokes to eveer walk on the footy field. SO, I reckon he should have got a spot in the team in the first place.

Originally posted by Porthos
Thats right, they could. Are you saying that there's no way that they could?

Given the club's made no comments that can be construed as draft tampering, no ;)

And insinuation is a fine, long established BigFooty tradition, I believe....I doubt that anyone in this thread is innocent of that :)

True :D Shooting down insinuations in flames is also a fine, long established BigFooty tradition ;)

Do Essendon? I'm sure Fremantle can match anything that Essendon can afford to pay.. [/QUOTE]

Except that they cannot draft him as a vet :eek:

Remove this Banner Ad

Paul Salmon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back