Paul Salmon

Remove this Banner Ad

Naw, Fish hasn't been in the VFL.... closest thing hes done to do with footy is Around the Grounds on Channel 7.

It would be nice to see the Hawks get him, but i certainley dont' see it happening.

Yes Paul Salmon has registered for the 2001 National Draft!!!
Amazing really. I think its the wrong choice.

Apparently whats happened is Kevin Sheedy has spoken to him and asked him to nominate for the draft so the Bombers will pick him up. Sheedy said that his legs have had a year off and he should have 1-2 years left in him.

Funny if someone else picks him up first!!!

Surely Salmons body wouldnt be up to it. His legs might be all better...but surely at his age (whats he...34??) he wont be able to play out a full game of football at this level.

I too thought it was a early April Fools Day joke - but its 100% correct!

Originally posted by mattyc2422

It would be nice to see the Hawks get him

Why would Hawthorn take such a regressive step?

Its quite clear that the only reason Essendon want him is so that they can try and squeeze one more premiership out of its current playing list.

Not even the Essendon spin doctors could explain this beauty away

Cheers

Originally posted by phatandphreaky

Why would Hawthorn take such a regressive step?

Its quite clear that the only reason Essendon want him is so that they can try and squeeze one more premiership out of its current playing list.

Not even the Essendon spin doctors could explain this beauty away

Cheers

I'm with you. I'd be extremely annoyed if Hawthorn picked up Salmon. We've already got an old injury prone ruckman! :D

Let me be the first to post that this could work.

At hawthorn training just before the finals fish was taking part and looked in good shape and moved beautifully. Rehn was injured at the time and I remember thinking that perhaps we let him retire too early.

Go Fish

ahahhah i was drivin along and heard about Fish on the radio and nearly smashed the car lol now all we need is RiCkY to make a cum bak :D sweet!

Thanx for that list of whos nominated its a bit of a pissa i must say...Tim Elliot aahahhaha John Spaull ahahhahahahha Wasley ahahahhahahahahah and Nick Stone apparently is training with the Dees hmmm.

Originally posted by Spidergirl~RiCkChiCk
ahahhah i was drivin along and heard about Fish on the radio and nearly smashed the car lol now all we need is RiCkY to make a cum bak :D sweet!

Thanx for that list of whos nominated its a bit of a pissa i must say...Tim Elliot aahahhaha John Spaull ahahhahahahha Wasley ahahahhahahahahah and Nick Stone apparently is training with the Dees hmmm.

Wasley will be playing at Norwood next year...doubtful he will get redrafted.
If you were delisted youd probly re nominate as well...might get lucky. I mean Brayden Lyle has bloody nominated for the draft...and Nathan Steinberner (the biggest dud ever)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Macca19

Wasley will be playing at Norwood next year...doubtful he will get redrafted.
If you were delisted youd probly re nominate as well...might get lucky. I mean Brayden Lyle has bloody nominated for the draft...and Nathan Steinberner (the biggest dud ever)

Surely Harwood is a bigger dud:D

Our duds in Byrne and O'Loughlin nominated too

they ahve no chance of being drafted which is just a tad more than Braden Lyle!!:p

Originally posted by Jars458

Surely Harwood is a bigger dud:D

Our duds in Byrne and O'Loughlin nominated too

they ahve no chance of being drafted which is just a tad more than Braden Lyle!!:p

Nah Harwood was only a half dud. He had something that at least half resembled talent for a while there. He actually had a pretty good 99 and 2000 for us until he did his shoulder.

Byrne is a dud. O loughlin...maybe sydney will pick him up (heres hoping cos that means he cant play for the magpies anymore :D )

I can't believe Fish has nominated for the draft & I hope the Bombers don't pick him up, it is too much of a risk, I was disappointed when they let Lalich go, he would have been less of a risk than Fish.

Please don't let this be true.:(

Originally posted by JUBJUB

He'll probably nominate for the pre-season draft in December.That way he put a price on his head [or abs :p ]

You know Jubjub, I was thinking about it last night - and I reckon you are pretty close to the mark. Is that how it works, you can not nominate for the national draft and then nominate for the pre-season?? Is that what Francis has done to go to Freo?

But regardless of what you think of Lord, he is a better player than quite a few others on that list.

As for Fish....he was still a good player in 2000 - we didn't realise how good he was until we had no ruckmen last year. Having said that, where is the long term planning in this decision? It's all very well to say he will be a ruck coach for Hille - but why not just employ him as that, rather than wasting a spot on the list that could have been used for a younger ruckmen, or even a delisted ruckmen with more than 1 season in him (ie O'Farell or Dooley, both of who have been training at Windy Hill)?

Fish even said today he still feels 'very Hawthorn', I don't really think he is 100% committed at this stage, and if he isn't 100% committed, he shouldn't play, as there are plenty of others who are.

This may be a great fairytale for Sheeds, but what about Mark Harvey in a couple of years time when he takes over a side with no ruckmen?

re:

From afl.com.au

"Sheedy said Salmon's age was not a factor -- ''just look at Barry Round,'' he said -- and that his experience would help Steve Alessio and David Hille, and also give the team far greater balance."

Didn't Barry Round stop playing in about 1988?

One would think that the game has increased considerably in intensity since then. In fact football is played at 200% of the pace 30 years ago. A 37 year old (Bradley probably being the exception) may struggle to keep up over a full season.

Still, people would have said the same about Tim Watson (remember he was only 32, however).

cheers

We're laughing now, but I haven't seen Sheedy make too many big mistakes. If he thinks Salmon is good enough to squeeze a year or two out of, it's probably true.

But I'll believe it when I see it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Paul Salmon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back