2nds Peel Thunder 2024 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

He'd have played all year for us if we could've picked him

went straight to the VFL and dominated, he is an AFL player IMO

We definitely helped his development, would join our pre season scratchies (also played v the crows last year I reckon) + having a good system from Freo at Peel.

Reckon North have missed a trick, they are crying out for KPD and missed the best one in all the state leagues

By saying he played a small contribution for us, I reckon he could’ve helped Davies, Draper etc. Looked like a real leader in that backline which our younger KPDs were part of.

Agree he would’ve played a lot of games this season but we set our list so we had plenty of KPD depth - We just got really unlucky in round one losing no. 1/2 and no. 3 in the pecking order straight away. Having talented youngsters play a few games is good for the progression of the list imo - they’ve just played a bit more than planned. Maybe you draft Blight instead of McDonald but that’s all hindsight - I don’t blame the list management teams for Saturday’s situation at all.

Last edited:
Yeah, they play this silly game where AFL emergencies don’t get named in the team sheet, despite everyone knowing they didn’t get on the plane.
Voss Hughes and Ras are our emergencies. Ras will come in but not sure whats up with Emmett

By saying he played a small contribution for us, I reckon he could’ve helped Davies, Draper etc. Looked like a real leader in that backline which our younger KPDs were part of.

Agree he would’ve played a lot of games this season but we set our list so we had plenty of KPD depth - We just got really unlucky in round one losing no. 1/2 and no. 3 in the pecking order straight away. Having talented youngsters play a few games is good for the progression of the list imo - they’ve just played a bit more than planned. Maybe you draft Blight instead of McDonald but that’s all hindsight - I don’t blame the list management teams for Saturday’s situation at all.
Yeah, this is one you can't put on the team and everyone should just be happy Blighty is getting a go and what it says to players coming to join Peel from interstate.

McDonald had AFL experience which was the main criteria for picking that mature back-up. Draper was NGA so no point picking Blight over him two years ago. Could have picked Blight over Davies but I'm confident that was the right call, Davies comfortably ahead of Blight at the same age as it stands.

Yeah, this is one you can't put on the team and everyone should just be happy Blighty is getting a go and what it says to players coming to join Peel from interstate.

McDonald had AFL experience which was the main criteria for picking that mature back-up. Draper was NGA so no point picking Blight over him two years ago. Could have picked Blight over Davies but I'm confident that was the right call, Davies comfortably ahead of Blight at the same age as it stands.
As I said when we picked him up, McDonald used to be AFL standard and was best 22 at Melbourne before they decided to recruit May and Lever.

Injuries might've ruined him after that but that didn't appear to be the case in the VFL last year. It's certainly why he was delisted from Carlton - too much depth in KPDs had an impact at Melbourne too I'd say.

I wasn't against McDonald

Just saying if we could've picked blight after those 2 injuries then we would have imo

Would be interesting if the ssp ran until round 3 or so but the cutoff is before preseason games
I think we'd always recruit with next season at least in mind tbh. If it's a short term problem you just back the squad you've got to work it out.

Six KPDs on the list is too many if anything in normal circumstances.

People keeps saying 6 KPDs is too many, we also have 6 KPFs (Amiss, Treacy, Tabs, Voss, Kuek, Jones)
We also have 4 rucks (Darcy, Jackson, Reidy, Knobel)
I think this is by design and not some overcompensating list fail.

People keeps saying 6 KPDs is too many, we also have 6 KPFs (Amiss, Treacy, Tabs, Voss, Kuek, Jones)
We also have 4 rucks (Darcy, Jackson, Reidy, Knobel)
I think this is by design and not some overcompensating list fail.
I have no issues with carrying 'too many' of one type of players if there's a reason for it.

We lost Logue then Hamling and were left with younger KPDs in reserve that aren't ready and/or may never be good enough.

For KPFs Kuek was supposed to be out for the year. Plus I think everyone knew Taberner barely had any time left.

Personally I think four rucks is perfect.

Once we're more comfortable with our depth I expect those numbers to shrink.

McDonald was a good selection - a genuine solid replacement for Hamling. Did well all pre-season and selected for round 1 due to good PS form.

What no one in their right mind expected to take place was two long term injuries to experienced KPD in that first game. It has opened up the door for games experience for Draper and Davies - which bodes well for 2025 and beyond. McDonald is negatively impacted by this but at least he is back in around 2 months to possibly play a couple of Peel games and get ready for a full pre-season.

I think we'd always recruit with next season at least in mind tbh. If it's a short term problem you just back the squad you've got to work it out.

Six KPDs on the list is too many if anything in normal circumstances.
I think blight is more than next season

He played 2 game sta vfl and he was clearly the best Backman in that league

Honestly it was by a mile

it's why I don't see why people xitn rate the wafl

I think blight is more than next season

He played 2 game sta vfl and he was clearly the best Backman in that league

Honestly it was by a mile

it's why I don't see why people xitn rate the wafl

We don’t need seven KPDs on our list of 44. That’s beyond ridiculous - we play two of them each in our best 22.

Blight could easily play for Richmond for ten years. He’s good enough but us recruiting him to cover injuries this year and Richmond recruiting him is apples and oranges.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We don’t need seven KPDs on our list of 44. That’s beyond ridiculous - we play two of them each in our best 22.

Blight could easily play for Richmond for ten years. He’s good enough but us recruiting him to cover injuries this year and Richmond recruiting him is apples and oranges.
The defenders were injured?

Did you even read my post lol, it was a hypothetical AFTER the KPDs got injured

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds Peel Thunder 2024 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back