Player Watch Pick #52 (2013) - Darcy Byrne-Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

Two very nice goals, and an absolute cracking running tackle on Impey with a few minutes left.

If we didn't switch DBJ back up forward, we lose that game. Played his role to perfection.

Keep him forward. He has forgotten how to play as a dedender.

He knows how to kick goals which is what you want from a forward.

After nearly two full seasons im the forwardline he was hopeless last week trying to defend.

Keep him forward. He has forgotten how to play as a dedender.

He knows how to kick goals which is what you want from a forward.

After nearly two full seasons im the forwardline he was hopeless last week trying to defend.
He never was a defender to begin with. Just found lots of the pill seagulling off half back when we were top of the ladder and dominating.

Players with 40+ direct goal involvements this season. (Goal + Goal Assist)

DBJ 50 (25 Goals + 25 Assists)
Georgiades 43 (37 G + 6 A)
JHF 42 (23 G + 19 A)
Players with 45+ direct goal involvements this season. (Goal + Goal Assist)

DBJ 53 (28 Goals + 25 Assists)
Georgiades 51 (43 G + 8 A)
JHF 49 (27 G + 22 A)
Rioli 45 (32 G + 13 A)

He never was a defender to begin with. Just found lots of the pill seagulling off half back when we were top of the ladder and dominating.
He was great in defence in his AA year, he just struggles aerially. On the deck his tackling and chasing etc has always been elite.

We just couldn't afford to have him being outmarked time and time again in defence.

He was great in defence in his AA year, he just struggles aerially. On the deck his tackling and chasing etc has always been elite.

We just couldn't afford to have him being outmarked time and time again in defence.
Nah he was just never exposed as badly in 2020 because of how solid the midfield and rest of the defence was. Always had an uncanny ability to never be within 15 metres of his opponent and got burnt too badly, too often going the other way.

His 2020 AA was solely due to his rebounding, not his defending

Rioli, SPP and DBJ is a handy small FWD group.

Rioli probably should play against bottom 6 sides, let him rest play the young kids instead.

How about:

DBJ is not a player I respect or like. Went missing again when it counts. So glad he was removed from the leadership group.
We wouldn't have even been in that game if not for DBJ's performance against Hawthorn the week prior. Or for that matter his performance against Hawthorn in the H&A season.

Pictured - A player who never stands up when it counts, apparently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DBJ is perplexing I mean he's fine in the forward line and creates goals, but he does repeat offend with soft efforts.. If I had a dollar for every time Ginever has pretty much called him soft this year I could get a nice bottle of hooch.
He's been soft for years. Good year when he won our B&F. But generally he's just floated along with little desire to be more than that. He aggravates me more than any other player & it's all about his attitude.

We wouldn't have even been in that game if not for DBJ's performance against Hawthorn the week prior. Or for that matter his performance against Hawthorn in the H&A season.

Pictured - A player who never stands up when it counts, apparently.

Yes, he played well against the Hawks. Big deal, his other 2 finals were crap. Our standards are so low. He was on the leadership group. He should be bringing that standard to most games not once in every 5 games. He's a massive part of our problem.

Look DBJ has worked out alright as a forward, but as others have mentioned his flaws are horrendously exposed when we aren’t playing well.

He plays so loose that I’m genuinely beginning to wonder if he has some life threatening condition that’ll cause him to explode if he steps within 10 metres of the opposition.

Is he “worse” than the Trio of Tragedy©️? No - but at least I can see them making an effort to beat an opponent 1-on-1. DBJ only looks remotely interested when the ball is loose

I think DBJ is being undersold here.

Hes no star but as a pressure forward he is easily good enough to be the 6th forward.

Whether you can have both him and SPP playing that role rather than a more offensive weapon is probably the issue (and SPP is better).

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think DBJ is being undersold here.

Hes no star but as a pressure forward he is easily good enough to be the 6th forward.

Whether you can have both him and SPP playing that role rather than a more offensive weapon is probably the issue (and SPP is better).

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

DBJ is far from our biggest problem.

Odd player to get your knickers in a knot about

You could always make the same argument for Rioli who goes missing in games too.

But the fact that's being ignored is that our gameplan does not suit small forwards. Need the bounce of the ball to go right for your forwards to be in play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Pick #52 (2013) - Darcy Byrne-Jones

Remove this Banner Ad

Back