Not open for further replies.

Ian Dargie

Premiership Player
Jun 14, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Who will open?

Will Ponting still be there?

Will Harris ever be fit? What is the pecking order of the other quicks?

For mine:

Watson
Marsh
Khawaja
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
Haddin
Siddle
Cummins
Starc
Lyon

Obviously, either of Hughes and Warner could book a spot with a big score against the Kiwis.

Thoughts?

I didn't see too much of Starc today but I wasn't convinced. I'll need to see more of him at Test level. Obviously if Harris were fit he would come in for Starc, and I think that'd just about be our best XI.

Pretty much agree overall.

• Banned
I didn't see too much of Starc today but I wasn't convinced. I'll need to see more of him at Test level. Obviously if Harris were fit he would come in for Starc, and I think that'd just about be our best XI.

Pretty much agree overall.
Assuming Harris isn't fit, I'd go with Starc for his left-arm bounce. Gives us something a bit different. Although Pattinson and Cutting will be in the mix too, you'd imagine.

Starc would get eaten by the Indians, didnt really impress me much at all, and it was rammed home when he couldnt pitch the ball on the stumps against the phantom... he cant even make up for it with some Johnson like innings because he's not as good at batting

I would like to see this:

Khawaja
Warner/Marsh (fitness and form)
Watson
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
Wade
Siddle
Cummins
Pattinson (Harris if fit)
Lyon

I'd like this, but it won't be this.

I also think if Watson can't bowl 20-30 overs a test, he shouldn't be picked on batting alone.

Starc would get eaten by the Indians, didnt really impress me much at all, and it was rammed home when he couldnt pitch the ball on the stumps against the phantom... he cant even make up for it with some Johnson like innings because he's not as good at batting

Yes he is. Probably not as good as Johnson, but he's certainly handy. Just another tick in the "Johnson-clone" column.

But I agree, he's nowhere near ready. Has the aggression, has the raw ability, but doesn't have the consistency for Test cricket, which is pretty much what every NSW fan was saying when he was picked.

Watson - should be back, but should he be opening?
Khawaja - I think he is our perfect candidate for opener.
Marsh - our best number three option, should be right to go for Hobart, if not Boxing Day.
Ponting - as we all predicted he's saved himself here. Whether it is for the best we'll see.
Clarke - bats his best at number five
Hussey - still going. See how he goes against the Kiwis. Love him, but a few more failures against NZ and his spot is under the pump again.
Wade - Please go Haddin.
Siddle - the leader of our attack :D
Pattinson - like others I am not at all confident in Starc bowling to the Indians.
Cummins - can he live up to his first test? If he can we have an absolute gun.
Lyon - Done enough to keep his spot.

Would be interesting to see where Watson will bat because if he goes to 6, that changes a fair few things.

My realistic / hopeful 11

Marsh
Watson (I would move him down as a matter of priority but it won't happen)
Khawaja
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
Haddin (shame - would prefer Wade)
Siddle
Copeland
Cummins
Lyon

This this this.

Watson - will open, he ain't going anywhere.
Hughes - century in sri Lanka and half in Sa means he will be there
Usman/marsh - probably usman because he isn't struggling and it's hard to get out of the side.
Pointing - will be in the side, 2 consecutive half centuries.
Clarke
Hussey
Haddin - I just can't see selectors Making the tough call.... Yet.
Lyon
Cummins
Siddle
Cutting? Patto? Starc?

Watson - should be back, but should he be opening?
Khawaja - I think he is our perfect candidate for opener.
Marsh - our best number three option, should be right to go for Hobart, if not Boxing Day.
Ponting - as we all predicted he's saved himself here. Whether it is for the best we'll see.
Clarke - bats his best at number five
Hussey - still going. See how he goes against the Kiwis. Love him, but a few more failures against NZ and his spot is under the pump again.
Wade - Please go Haddin.
Siddle - the leader of our attack :D
Pattinson - like others I am not at all confident in Starc bowling to the Indians.
Cummins - can he live up to his first test? If he can we have an absolute gun.
Lyon - Done enough to keep his spot.

Would be interesting to see where Watson will bat because if he goes to 6, that changes a fair few things.

I like this team. I think Haddin would have to be awful in these two tests against NZ with the bat for them to drop him unfortunately.

Maybe Bollinger is the possible inclusion with the ball. He has done well a couple of times against the Indians at test and one day level.

Watson
Marsh
Khawaja
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
Wade
Harris
Cummings
Pattinson
Lyon

12th man Siddle/Cutting

A good mixture of experience and youth. They need to make the call on Haddin, it's only a matter of time before he goes so the sooner the better. The difference between him and Ponting/Hussey (besides the fact the latter are great players) is Haddin has a ready made replacement kicking the door down. Hughes needs to go back to shield cricket and get his action right. A mid 30's average just isn't good enough, too inconsistent. Khawaja needs to start making runs too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watson
Marsh
Khawaja
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
Wade
Harris
Cummins
Pattinson
Lyon

12th man Siddle/Cutting

A good mixture of experience and youth. They need to make the call on Haddin, it's only a matter of time before he goes so the sooner the better. The difference between him and Ponting/Hussey (besides the fact the latter are great players) is Haddin has a ready made replacement kicking the door down. Hughes needs to go back to shield cricket and get his action right. A mid 30's average just isn't good enough, too inconsistent. Khawaja needs to start making runs too.

edited

Watson
Khawaja
Marsh
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
Haddin (can't see the selectors and new coach not giving him a fair run)
Siddle
Cummins
Pattinson
Lyon

I wish guys like Harris and Bollinger were fit and in the picture we could potentially have a top 2-3 world class bowling lineup/squad.

My realistic / hopeful 11

Marsh
Watson (I would move him down as a matter of priority but it won't happen)
Khawaja
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
Haddin (shame - would prefer Wade)
Siddle
Copeland
Cummins
Lyon

Being realistic this is the best side I think we could/would be willing to put out against India. Do not rate Starc as a bowler really, got a couple of easy wickets but did stuff all apart from that. Would much rather Siddle/Cummins as the 'strike' bowlers, Copeland to tie an end up and Lyon as the spinner - seems well rounded to me. If Marsh isn't fit I guess stick with Hughes but he's becoming Northish with his scoring - stuff all or heaps. Not reliable at all. Certainly can't have both him and Warner opening though, I like Warner a lot but he's a bit flaky.

I'm more thinking what happens at the END of the series. I'm assuming a Ponting retirement - and probably Haddin too, though he had a good game today.

Warner
Khawaja
Marsh
Watson
Clarke
Hussey
Wade/Paine
Cummins
2 of Siddle/Copeland/Starc/Johnson/Harris/Cutting
Lyon

Hussey should go soon too - not sure if they'll do three at the same time. That number six spot is a bit tricky. Perhaps Khawaja goes down and Hughes comes back.

I'm more thinking what happens at the END of the series. I'm assuming a Ponting retirement - and probably Haddin too, though he had a good game today.

Warner
Khawaja
Marsh
Watson
Clarke
Hussey
Wade/Paine
Cummins
2 of Siddle/Copeland/Starc/Johnson/Harris/Cutting
Lyon

Hussey should go soon too - not sure if they'll do three at the same time. That number six spot is a bit tricky. Perhaps Khawaja goes down and Hughes comes back.

Number six is tricky. You would want the player to be able to play spin. I'm curious to see what the selectors have in mind once Hussey goes - whenever that will be.

I suppose you could put Shaun Marsh there, he played spin pretty well in Sri Lanka.

I wouldn't bank on Punter or Haddin going anywhere.

Even though I don't rate Siddle that highly, I would be reluctant to drop him if Watson was not able to deliver overs during the match

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back