Pies time is now superthread

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Collingwood will play Simon Prestigiacomo to tag Simon Fisher this week.

When pretending to be in the know it helps to actually have the name of the players correct.

Presti is a good chance to play and we may just use one of our defenders as a defensive foward but it won't be Presti.

The thing about playing too many "defensive" fowards is you really help a team like St Kilda clog your fowardline. Beams was well, well, well below par and really needs to lift and make someone accountable, Gwilt was on Dawes for most of the match. Maccaffer can only really match up on one defender. Not carrying a Davis in the fowardline will probably help. The best way to make stop a good rebounding defender is to hurt them the other way. Heath Shaw and the way teams match up on him is the best example of it.

You are really over thinking it we don't need to try and reinvent the wheel on grand final day. We managed a draw with none of Didak, Pendles, Swan or Cloke being in the top 5 players on the ground and Hayes and Goddard being the best two on the ground, if you had told me that was possible a week ago I wouldn't have believed it. When need a lift from those guys and guys like Beams etc. That will make the movement into the fowardline better making it harder for Fisher, Gilbert et al to pick it off, in turn forcing them to be more accountable. On top of that we can't afford to play Leon. Beams and Dawes really need to lift too.

:thumbsu: This - Presti as a defensive forward LOL. I cannot see MM changing our structure that dramatically. All we need is for Goldsack to come in and run with Goddard and more from the likes of Beams . Macaffer up forward and for Leon to be sitting in the Stand.

Too may of our good players were down yet we still led for 117 minutes. We need all 22 players to lift for one final shot at Glory. GO PIES!!!!

Does Presti even have the agility to TAG a Sam Fisher? :confused:

Someone needs to catch THE FISH!

genImage-3.aspx.jpg

Tag him and bag him.

Sack, Reid, Heath Shaw,Caff whoever...

1 on 1 with THE FISH, else he will get 50 possessions and control our tempo footy.

all day.

and we must not just bomb away..

to set up play..

for St Kilda's way...

I never claimed to be in the know, I just read the Age.

His goddamn name isn't Simon :cool:
Yes it is, don't you know the poster known as "Pies Time is Now" knows everything and has the "inside word".

SAM Fisher obviously has changed his name in the last few days.:p

If we stop Stan Fisher, We can win the Premiership.

If we let him run wild, GONSKIE!

I just watched on The Couch and even Gerard Healy said so.

Stoppages

How do we improve our work at the Stoppages.

St Kilda is the stoppage kings and they smashed us in the second half.

Granted Lenny Hayes had a blinder.

But St Kilda ramped up the number of stopages and got back into the game.

But we looked disorganised.

How many times did St Kilda have a third man up..

We never had one.

Bombed the ball into the 50.

and smashed in the clearances.

We need to change there.

Any thoughts?

Re: Stoppages

I'm trying to remember what caused the stoppages in the first place. Came up with...

1) The ball trickled over the boundary line.
2) Somebody got tackled and a ball-up was called.

So basically don't play near the boundary and move the ball quicky (so to not get tackled). We can't help if a Saints player gets tackled and we don't get the free kick for it. We just have to deal with it.

Yes but it didn''t happen in the first quarter and a half and we outscored St Kilda by 4 goals.

We need to get the ball moving quickly.

So St Kilda don't close us down.

They can't run with us..

But they can beat us at stoppages..

Run, Run, Run!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If they are going to play Fisher down back, loose, we have to take a risk.

Back Maxwell and co. to beat their men one-on-one and work off their men to support Presti/Brown on Reiwoldt.

This gives us an extra player around the stoppages. This helps the defence out as well, as if we win the stoppages, we don't let St.Kilda get it forward.

Also our runners such as Johnson and Wellingham need to get into the game, we need to run and break the lines more or else we will get bogged down.

I agree. We were too predictable with our forward entries and Fisher had a field day.

Lower our vision, stop "bombing" it in and we may be able to stop Fisher's influence.

there was one occasion on Sat when bombing the ball to the top of the goal square would have been a totally valid option.

Dawes had marked with 2/3 mins left 50 odd metres out and Cloke was alone in a one on one with Simon - he(Dawes) should have just bombed it to the top of the square to see if Trev could have marked it! Honest. By the time Colin pumped it in - the cavalry had arrived!

That is the only time to test Fisher when he is in a one on one with Trav.

NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

please people we don't need to overreact and go defensive that plays straight into the Saints game plan...tag Goddard tag Fisher tag Hayes etc soon you'll have Montagna running crazy.

FACT - we lead most of the game
FACT - we bombed the ball unintelligently into the forward line where Fisher could rebound at will
FACT - we are the best team in the AFL this year
FACT - the Saints DID NOT beat us
FACT - we have more leg speed than the Saints
FACT - we were behind with 5 minutes to go and fought back
FACT - the back six defended brilliantly the last 3 minutes

The coaches will not be focusing on shutting a team down who shouldnt beat us
They will get our structures right - maintain the discipline - and not fall into the defensive one on one game that plays into St Kilda's hands.

My theory is we dropped off a little in the second half knowing we were totally outplaying them...and they threw caution to the wind and raised their intensity and clawed their way back.

There is a lot of talk on how to beat the Saints...we already have the game plan...

GO Pies

Well said. How about, St.Kilda are agood side so if we drop off a little, they will come hard, especially in a GF. Whilst i think that Collingwood can do more to improve than St.Kilda, the key will be to play the style we want, not what they want (mentioned ad nauseum). Let's just forget that Presti was ever mentioned in this light. /Thread

Presti cried behind the bus before the parade as he told Mick he wasn't worth or ready to take on the first Grand Final.

If Presti could harness all this crying power for good, we might have a chance for him to cover ground to contest after contest and lock the ball in our forward line.

I fear I am going to see..

ROUTE 1 - BOMB!

Next week too.

And Saints defenders lining up to mark about 30 metres out from our goal...

AGAIN!

How do we improve our work at the Stoppages.

St Kilda is the stoppage kings and they smashed us in the second half.

Granted Lenny Hayes had a blinder.

But St Kilda ramped up the number of stopages and got back into the game.

But we looked disorganised.

How many times did St Kilda have a third man up..

We never had one.

Bombed the ball into the 50.

and smashed in the clearances.

We need to change there.

Any thoughts?

All this destruction and yet WE DREW THE GAME!!

Any thoughts?...well...let me see..over-reaction...desperation...pessimist...

It's a GF, there's going to be stoppages, though I get an inkling this week is going to be more free flowing, just don't think both teams will physically be able to reproduce the hard effort this week. Will suit us more if we use the ball well going forward.

However, stoppages have been a weakness this year, our contested ball is better in flow. The 3rd man up has been the issue as teams have sought to counter Jolly at stoppages. First point, I think 3rd man up shouldn't be allowed, 2nd point, need to keep more players spread outside to take advantage of our pace if they do this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Pies time is now superthread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back