Playing two ruckmen

Remove this Banner Ad

pure demon

Team Captain
Dec 10, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Going by Pederson's interview, and training reports, it seems the coaching staff are hellbent on playing both Jamar and Gawn in the same side (if fit).
It ALMOST worked last year, as Gawny does have some ability as a forward, but it seems, if your almost 7ft tall, then new rules apply. Undersized opponents are apparently 'allowed' to scrag, chop arms, drag down over the shoulder, and fall in the back attempting to spoil, without penalty.
What does everybody think? Can this work to our advantage, and stretch opponents up forward and in the ruck?
Or are we robbing ourselves of someone more agile who can help hold the ball in and get repeat fifty's.?

I like the idea.

Each of Gawn and Jamar are good for a mark and a goal deep inside the forward 50.

You're right though - guys like Pederson, Watts, Fitz, Howe, Spencer Garland and Frost are going to need pretty good form to hold their spots, because we are short of running players as it is. I think we'll see some decent tall players spend a few weeks at Casey during this year.

I always through it was poor analysis to straight away blame An extra ruck on a side getting beaten in The middle
Tall blokes give you a target, and if they do it well give you predictability in the crumbs which will be perfect for Kent, JKH, Petracca and Garlett

I don't like it unless Gawn improves a fair bit up forward. At least I don't like it against all teams. Pedo works so well as second ruck because he's a good utility who provides some run and pressure.

In my mind, Gawn has to be as least as good as our third big in the forward line to justify selecting both he and Jamar in the same 22.

Hogan and Dawes are the first two picked. According to his interview yesterday, Watts indicated that he will be spending the majority of his time forward which fills the mid-size role. For balance, we then need two of Garlett/Kent/JKH/Salem et al. That leaves 1 spot if we accept the traditional 6-man attack.
I don't think we can afford to have that vacant spot filled by Pedo or Fitz and then rest a ruckman forward as well. Having the ruck rotate through the bench cripples us in terms of keeping the midfield fresh.

Therefore, we either need to rotate Jamar/Gawn through the forward line, or require one of them to take on the majority of the ruck work with a chop out from Pedo/Fitz as required. Given Pedo's early season form last year I'd be inclined to agree with Theseventhhamster and prefer him over carrying a second ruck. When Gawn can prove that he's capable of consistently threatening the opposition as a deep forward we can drop Pedo and push Hogan/Dawes further up the park. Similarly if Gawn takes over as the #1 ruck, Jamar will need to prove the same to stay in the 22.

Whoever plays the second ruck will rest on the bench, and deep in the forward 50 (you cant expect a second ruck to play the hard running CHF role while resting).

I reckon both Gawn and Jamar are better 'long ball' targets than Pedo, and also better ruckmen. Pedo, is your hard working CHF type - but we have Dawes and Hogan ahead of him.

Fitz wouldnt be a bad option, but doesnt have the senior runs on the board yet so he'd need to have a step up in form.

I reckon Pedo and Fitz may miss out on a lot of games this year, which is a shame.

I don't like it unless Gawn improves a fair bit up forward. At least I don't like it against all teams. Pedo works so well as second ruck because he's a good utility who provides some run and pressure.

I completely agree with this though , pedo is a must in the team now , his second efforts and ability to get around the ground are huge for us

This is what i dont like about the playing two ruckmen scenario.
One of grimes or garland is likely to miss out on a game in best 22 scenario, while howe plays back.
Get rid of the second ruck and play howe forward.
I mean what the hell did we draft frost and lamumba for?
Meanwhile its only january, they could suprise me

This is what i dont like about the playing two ruckmen scenario.
One of grimes or garland is likely to miss out on a game in best 22 scenario, while howe plays back.
Get rid of the second ruck and play howe forward.
I mean what the hell did we draft frost and lamumba for?
Meanwhile its only january, they could suprise me

Lumumba will play majority in the midfield

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lumumba was best used off half back for Collingwood, why would he play in the middle where he struggles?
I'm guessing because he's a terrible defender and his Brent Moloney type kicks are better going into the forward line than out of defense?

Lumumba was best used off half back for Collingwood, why would he play in the middle where he struggles?

He's been playing for collingwood on the wing and in an interview he has said he will be used in the middle of the ground, probably because he can escape contests and drive the ball forward and as old mate above me said he can't defend

We could still do with an extra couple of ready-to-go midfielders. We faded so badly in that area last year.

Newton and Lumumba have been touted as the ones, and Lumumba said as much himself.

That said, we were also desperate for some run, carry and penetration from half back last year so I can see Lumumba playing a little of both, at different times myself.

Gawn is approaching the age of when he should start to really dominate, even last year he looked like he needed to build his strength up more.

How is fitzys ruck work coming along? I always thought he was good enough to get a game as a forward so long as he could break even in the ruck

his ruck work is pathetic, that is the whole problem.. There are A LOT of people on here severely overrating him and he still has a long way to go to even be fighting for a spot in my opinion

Remove this Banner Ad

Playing two ruckmen

Remove this Banner Ad

Back