Pearce off Jack

Senior List
Apr 24, 2006
In the 2's
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Australia,Storm
With harbrow on the move and our window open i hope that Rocket and co can manufacture some sort of trade. Imagine Gilbee and Drummond on our half back line!

The Lions would be loath to lose him, with so much effort having gone into his development after picking him as a rookie-listed player.However, they cannot afford the $400,000-$450,000 a season he is believed to be demanding.

It is unlikely any club would make a similar offer to a player with his injury record, who has just come off a LARS knee reconstruction. But if there was a cashed-up club willing to take the risk, the Lions would have to let him go.

Link

The Lions would be loath to lose him, with so much effort having gone into his development after picking him as a rookie-listed player.However, they cannot afford the $400,000-$450,000 a season he is believed to be demanding.

It is unlikely any club would make a similar offer to a player with his injury record, who has just come off a LARS knee reconstruction. But if there was a cashed-up club willing to take the risk, the Lions would have to let him go.

Link
What would we have offered Harbrow?

Can somebody explain why we couldn't afford Drummond at 450k?

Johnno gone, Akermanis gone, Eagleton, Hahn and Harbrow gone, surely that frees up a bit?

How old is he? Would he be worth it? I mean his injury record isn't great although gilbee is on the slide( no offence, he's a champ) so maybe drummond could take over.

drummond can play, and Id love to have him (He's Gilbee 4 years ago), but I cant see us having the cash. Johno & eagle were Veterans list so we dont get much cap relief there. Aker wasnt on a bundle, neither was harbrow, hahn, Tiller, Callan etc. Factor in the increase for guys like Cooney, Griff, lake etc and I can see us being pretty close to capped out already.

How would we secure him in terms of a trade?

No draft pick earlier than 50 available, and almost all of our players fall in to either the "too little trade currency" or "untouchable" baskets.

I don't think so. Good player but he is 28 next year coming back from knee surgery with history of injury marred seasons.

From the Hun

Josh Drummond

Jumper Number39Height189Weight87DOB19/04/1983Recruited FromNorthern Eagles (Qld)Career Matches72Career Goals30

Drummond is rated as one of the best kicks in the competition, but his durability remains a concern. He averaged the fifth-most effective long kicks of any AFL player last season, also ranking fourth in the competition in rebound 50s and ranking No. 1 at Brisbane in rebound 50s, second in effective kicks, seventh in total kicks and sixth in marks - all despite missing four games for the season. His 20 games last season was a personal career-high, as he had failed to play more than 14 games in any season previously

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Drummond is a good player, no doubt, but trading in a player in the season after he has a knee reco is a stupid idea.

He still has trade currency on past form, but history tells us time and time again that full recovery from knee recos takes the season you heal, and the following season where you get confidence again. So many examples, Malceski was crap last year, Rhys Palmer was rubbish this year, so on, and so on.

IMO, we would be better off going after Sherman for the same role. We'd get him cheaper - his trade currency is way down right now...

For that matter, I hope the Dogs look at players like Rhys Palmer, whom I am not sure is available, but would be a great pick-up on the basis that he should be cheaper than perhaps he is worth. The gamble is whether or not he will ever return from the knee reco.

If we are trading for anyone it should not be for a 28yo injured player. I like Drummond but it doesnt add up, what we need is 23-26 yo with pace who can run and carry through the midfield / wing or replacements for Johnno / Aker

Sorry, but the Premiership window get's tighter and possibly closed after this year. Even if we won it this year, i still think last year was our better chance. It's time to restart building for the future for our next window, delay that, and it could hurt you big time in the future

Drummond is too old and gets injured too much as it is. Rather look to youth/young players! Back a couple of years ago i would of been 100% for it

If we are trading for anyone it should not be for a 28yo injured player. I like Drummond but it doesnt add up, what we need is 23-26 yo with pace who can run and carry through the midfield / wing or replacements for Johnno / Aker
Farren Ray seems to fit that bill.

Sorry, but the Premiership window get's tighter and possibly closed after this year. Even if we won it this year, i still think last year was our better chance. It's time to restart building for the future for our next window, delay that, and it could hurt you big time in the future

Drummond is too old and gets injured too much as it is. Rather look to youth/young players! Back a couple of years ago i would of been 100% for it

Agree with that. Before people looking at recruiting players, they should look at what phase we in our list. We are rebuilding so we should be sticking with the draft or if we have to trade, trading for young players that we really really need. Anything else is list clogging.

Drummond is 28, injury prone and wants a lot of money. I may be stupid but I can't see any rational logic in why we would look at such a player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Please get Josh Drummond Rocket!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back