News AFL Tribunal appeals board upholds Houston's 5 Week Suspension

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't believe people are normalizing this as a 5 week suspension. Way over the top. 3 weeks would have been a reasonable penalty.

Waiting for a moment in a close contested final for a player to go in hard, win the ball knock a guy out and cop a suspension.

I can't believe people are normalizing this as a 5 week suspension. Way over the top. 3 weeks would have been a reasonable penalty.

Waiting for a moment in a close contested final for a player to go in hard, win the ball knock a guy out and cop a suspension.

That bump could easily have knocked a few years off Rankin’s life, and probably has.

His body is spasming due to intense brain trauma.

It shows maturity that people are taking this more seriously. Maybe something to consider.

Byron Pickett got 6 for a similar act, although he did go past the ball.

Matthew Lloyd got 6 for a similar act.

The penalty is justifiable (Maynard excepted) - what’s at issue is the AFL’s laughable Appeals system.

The penalty is justifiable (Maynard excepted) - what’s at issue is the AFL’s laughable Appeals system.
I think 5 weeks is excessive. You still get a strong message across with 3 weeks. And yet a guy can elbow another player in the back of the head and get nothing. Riley Tilthorp can intentionally tunnel under a player potentially leading to serious injury and gets nothing.

Laura Kane has made a mess of the AFL.

No suspension through 18 SANFL games and 168 AFL games. So the clean record along with not getting Rankine high should hopefully reduce the suspension down to 3 games.
It doesn't matter. You should be judged on an isolated act not the good bloke card. No attempt to go for the ball and basically ironed out a player not expecting brutal front on contact. It's not 1995 anymore. It's a rough conduct charge even if the head wasn't involved because it was a reckless careless act. This is the sort of stuff they should be stamping out not incidental concussions from tackles.

That bump could easily have knocked a few years off Rankin’s life, and probably has.

His body is spasming due to intense brain trauma.

It shows maturity that people are taking this more seriously. Maybe something to consider.
Maturity would be the AFL telling players that <insert 2023 incident here> worth a 3 week suspension, would be worth 5-6 in 2024.

What they’ve done with Houston is the exact opposite of maturity.
It’s a knee jerk reaction, and sacrificing Houston’s 2024 in the process.

Maturity would not be quoting Websters’ 7 week penalty as a factor supporting Houston getting 5, when they are significantly different incidents. That’s searching for a reason to justify their poor knee jerk reaction decision.

It doesn't matter. You should be judged on an isolated act not the good bloke card. No attempt to go for the ball and basically ironed out a player not expecting brutal front on contact. It's not 1995 anymore. It's a rough conduct charge even if the head wasn't involved because it was a reckless careless act. This is the sort of stuff they should be stamping out not incidental concussions from tackles.
There were people who wanted Cotchin rubbed going for the ball. Look at how Geelong are playing atm. They basically hold one arm, stand still in a tackle. This game will slowly become sanitized to the point that it will become non contact.

There were people who wanted Cotchin rubbed going for the ball. Look at how Geelong are playing atm. They basically hold one arm, stand still in a tackle. This game will slowly become sanitized to the point that it will become non contact.
How you could correlate this with any tackles that result in concussion is beyond me. A player should not be expecting full force with a bump when there going for the ball like that. A hard tackle yes and if he did try to tackle than there is nothing to see here. Houston even admits it himself he had a brain fade. Stop living in the past with this sort of mindset. This incident should always result in a suspension and it should have back in the Byron Pickett days too.

What a poor defence of the Tribunal decision. You can’t be equating Lloyd targeting Sewell’s head to this, surely?

Is this an example of AFL AI?

Ahh but the good bloke card has been played twice this year to have reduction in sentences, so yes it has been played this year and in my eyes should have seen this reduced. As the others were.

How you could correlate this with any tackles that result in concussion is beyond me. A player should not be expecting full force with a bump when there going for the ball like that. A hard tackle yes and if he did try to tackle than there is nothing to see here. Houston even admits it himself he had a brain fade. Stop living in the past with this sort of mindset. This incident should always result in a suspension and it should have back in the Byron Pickett days too.

Four weeks

Maturity would be the AFL telling players that <insert 2023 incident here> worth a 3 week suspension, would be worth 5-6 in 2024.

What they’ve done with Houston is the exact opposite of maturity.
It’s a knee jerk reaction, and sacrificing Houston’s 2024 in the process.

Maturity would not be quoting Websters’ 7 week penalty as a factor supporting Houston getting 5, when they are significantly different incidents. That’s searching for a reason to justify their poor knee jerk reaction decision.
Basically everyone everywhere thought 5-6 was about right, this is not some out of the blue surprise.

Write, Parker, Webster etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Basically everyone everywhere thought 5-6 was about right, this is not some out of the blue surprise.

Write, Parker, Webster etc
Which one of your examples was not head high contact, both feet on the ground, lowered body, kept elbow in, ball in play and not past the ball or after disposal?

Using examples that aren’t equivalent is meaningless.

Prestia didn’t have the ball, Stewart made direct head contact.
Rankine did have the ball, Houston did not make head contact.

Keep going with the no head contact. He’s responsible for any whiplash and you don’t get concussed by not hitting the head. End of the day he could have executed a tackle and he wouldn’t have been suspended it’s that simple

Prestia didn’t have the ball, Stewart made direct head contact.
Rankine did have the ball, Houston did not make head contact.
Do you really think you would be arguing this if it was Houston who was spasming on the group due to head trauma?

Think about it mate.

He chose to bump and knocked a bloke out.

Do you really think you would be arguing this if it was Houston who was spasming on the group due to head trauma?

Think about it mate.

He chose to bump and knocked a bloke out.
Sound like a supporter of the AFL “punish the outcome not just the action” club.

It was an in-play incident, treated like an off ball snipe.

I can see the difference between rough contact (a couple of weeks) and the outcome (including the ground head contact). The AFL in the end does what it wants. Don’t have to agree with it.

Sound like a supporter of the AFL “punish the outcome not just the action” club.

I can see the difference between rough contact (a couple of weeks) and the outcome (including the ground head contact). The AFL in the end does what it wants. Don’t have to agree with it.
Do you understand what “duty of care” means?

The players themselves are for these rules too you know?

The problem is ..is that you come across as a "punish someone else, except us, because maybe we'll make the GF" and the world isn't fair

I think 5 weeks is excessive. You still get a strong message across with 3 weeks. And yet a guy can elbow another player in the back of the head and get nothing. Riley Tilthorp can intentionally tunnel under a player potentially leading to serious injury and gets nothing.

Laura Kane has made a mess of the AFL.
Thilthorpe intentionally tunnel a player? What? You think he wanted to risk KO himself by running directly at the leg and hip of another player even if he lead with his shoulder to protect himself like Houston? You do know there was a similar tunnel accident this year and there wasn't a free or report.

Maybe the extra 2 weeks was because he lead with his shoulder 2m out so he protected himself before the collision and got Rankine high.

Do you understand what “duty of care” means?

The players themselves are for these rules too you know?
For reasons I won’t go into, no I’m not one of those people, and I’d advise you not to descend into hyperbole to make your point. It’s insulting and unwarranted.
Unless hyperbole is how you want me to respond.

Remove this Banner Ad

News AFL Tribunal appeals board upholds Houston's 5 Week Suspension

Remove this Banner Ad

Back