Game Day Port Adelaide v Essendon Game Day Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

But there is a middle ground between being "proud of a loss" (which no one is, but never mind...) and carrying on like Chicken Little throwing his toys out of the pram because he has sand in his cloaca.
Game was there to be won. Please stop trying to tell everyone how they should behave. It's an internet forum and people are allowed to act/feel however they want (with in reason). Just because it doesn't line up with your meek outlook doesn't make it wrong.

Game was there to be won. Please stop trying to tell everyone how they should behave. It's an internet forum and people are allowed to act/feel however they want (with in reason).

...and by the same token, people are allowed to point out when other people are being snivelling hysterics.

Just because it doesn't line up with your meek outlook doesn't make it wrong.

I don't think you know what that word means.

Having gone to the game myself, I thought it was quite hypocritical.

Why were they booing anyway? If got offered better terms that what Essendon offered... I don't think the Bombers even cared

Some shit posts in this thread. Comparing this game to how we would have gone last year in attempt to justify how shit we were lol.

No, this isn't 2012. This is 2013, where we beat Collingwood and Sydney in consecutive weeks. We should have won this game and to be proud of this loss is a cop out to what we're capable of.

No one is trying to justify anything. We ARE a young side who is running on adrenaline most times rather than skill. No one is saying we shouldn't have won this game. We should have. But if you want to succeed, you focus on the positives and next week work on eliminating the negatives.

If that game was played at AAMI, we would have won. Which is where we beat Collingwood and Sydney.

People were looking at this run of four and thinking "If we can win one, I'll be happy." We win two, and are in the game for most of the third, and you're not happy? Seriously?

Furthermore, what can you, as a supporter, do about it? Do you think riding the guys saying 'That's not good enough' is going to make a scrap of difference? Just be ****ing thankful that we have a coaching staff that is finally getting development into our players, and a fitness staff that allows us to run out games so we CAN compete. It'd be a different story if we went into that game as a 50/50. It wasn't. I'll say it again - this is the team that went over to Subiaco twice and got the chocolates. Essendon are a genuine top four side, and we were playing them away.

I'm not proud. I'm disappointed, but I'm not going to say the game was a waste of time for developing this young list of ours. They will learn, and they will get better.

There IS a reason why we are fighting for a spot in the top eight, rather than being entrenched in it, you know.

I think booing Gus was just because Essendon are big and have a bunch of those sheep fans. Of course some may have never liked him and have their own reasons but haven't Essendon always had the stigma that West Coast/Adelaide get about the mob mentality fans? Don't mean to be attacking their supporters here - big red and black army helped them today.

2 things pissed me off today..

Gray not centring the ball and angus checkside

2 selfish acts resulting in 3 goal turnarounds and momentum...Either then that we were solid

Monfries is so unclutch

Why were they booing anyway? If got offered better terms that what Essendon offered... I don't think the Bombers even cared

Terms are irrelevant. It was a trade, not a free agency.

That said, all supporter groups boo ex players from time to time. We've done it.

I think it might have had something to do with his reaction when Hamish got knocked over after taking a mark? He got into it a bit with the Essendon players. Cant recall their fans booing him before that..

No one is trying to justify anything. We ARE a young side who is running on adrenaline most times rather than skill. No one is saying we shouldn't have won this game. We should have. But if you want to succeed, you focus on the positives and next week work on eliminating the negatives.

If that game was played at AAMI, we would have won. Which is where we beat Collingwood and Sydney.

People were looking at this run of four and thinking "If we can win one, I'll be happy." We win two, and are in the game for most of the third, and you're not happy? Seriously?

Furthermore, what can you, as a supporter, do about it? Do you think riding the guys saying 'That's not good enough' is going to make a scrap of difference? Just be ******* thankful that we have a coaching staff that is finally getting development into our players, and a fitness staff that allows us to run out games so we CAN compete. It'd be a different story if we went into that game as a 50/50. It wasn't. I'll say it again - this is the team that went over to Subiaco twice and got the chocolates. Essendon are a genuine top four side, and we were playing them away.

I'm not proud. I'm disappointed, but I'm not going to say the game was a waste of time for developing this young list of ours. They will learn, and they will get better.

There IS a reason why we are fighting for a spot in the top eight, rather than being entrenched in it, you know.
Great Post!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it was because Monfries was gifted a goal by the umpire in the first quarter.

To be fair I thought he copped a forearm to the head and was therefore a legitimate free.

Quality game today boys and girls; you gave us a VERY decent crack. A couple times I thought we were going to bury your boys but you just kept coming. Very impressed with Hinkley; and I reckon you've got some absolute gems coming through.

Terms are irrelevant. It was a trade, not a free agency.

That said, all supporter groups boo ex players from time to time. We've done it.

Yeah every team does it; I certainly didn't though. Gussy was a great servant to our club and as far as leaving a club goes, I think Monfries leaving Essendon was about as amicable as it gets. Best of luck to him.

Monfries was good today.
He put his body on the line on a number of occasions.
Open your bloody eyes and improve your player analysis.
Same goes for criticism of Gray.

meek

/mēk/

Adjective
Quiet, gentle, and easily imposed on; submissive:

Synonyms
gentle - mild - humble - submissive - tame - soft

Thanks for looking it up. That's the most I could've asked.

Last I checked, this is the mindset that made Port the best club in the land. Those of us who think like this are no longer true supporters though - how we have softened as a supporter group

Because some are realists, that means they aren't true supporters?

After appearing to turn around a remarkably bad 5 year stint in which there was heavily compromised drafts and the fact we could barely afford to pay the minimum salary cap, let alone have the money to attract big name players.

The world of the AFL beast is a different one and it is hard to stay up and even harder to return to the top in a short period.

Sure, be disappointed in the loss. I am. Cause we all know we could of won it, but to be sitting in the 8 with an 8-6 record is something to take into consideration, especailly when oir previous 48 games returned the same amount of wins.

We still are the best Club in the land.

Some shit posts in this thread. Comparing this game to how we would have gone last year in attempt to justify how shit we were lol.

No, this isn't 2012. This is 2013, where we beat Collingwood and Sydney in consecutive weeks. We should have won this game and to be proud of this loss is a cop out to what we're capable of.

I was at the game. It was a ridiculously hard game with that crowd, and the umpires raping us early on.

We smashed Essendon after half time after being behind, it was a tremendous effort and a fantastic game to watch, not unhappy at all with that performance.

3 things. Robbie Gray is back, Brad Ebert is a star, and Ollie Wines is the best first year player we'll ever have.

Quality game today boys and girls; you gave us a VERY decent crack. A couple times I thought we were going to bury your boys but you just kept coming. Very impressed with Hinkley; and I reckon you've got some absolute gems coming through.

Despite what ever problems your club might be facing, there is no denying the quality of your list and players. Was a great game, and good luck for the rest of the year.

Oh, and if you can beat everyone who is trying to take our spot in the eight, that would be much obliged.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day Port Adelaide v Essendon Game Day Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back