Port Chooses Primus

Remove this Banner Ad

Port Adelaide members and supporters will have the opportunity to chat with Matt Primus this evening at The Port Club at Alberton Oval. Matt will be at the Port Club between 5.30pm and 7pm.

Re: Port Adelaide Football Club chooses Matthew Primus to replace Mark Williams as coach

Yeah I was better at Speaking at assemblies and Small Buissness were my stronger attributes at school.

Thats 2 posts in a row now without a " ! ".

Is the "1" on your keyboard playing up?

Although i think Scott would also have been a good choice I don't see a problem with appointing Primus.

A few people have said the 5-2 was against lesser teams etc but I tend to think he was handed a team with injuries and way down on confidence so wasn't a bad effort really.

Anyway will be renewing my membership and hope to get home for at least a couple of games next season and supporting the Club!!

Oh- and on Assistant Coaches would like to think there is room for someone like Michael Wilson in there. Another worth a look would be Darren Mead. Just think that their attitude alone would be useful.

Our last process idnetified Choco as the best candidate, from pretty much the same group who ran this process.

Agree with you entirely on the cleaning house bit. If Kingsley gets a new contract, and our list stays much the same, then I think the club has made an error again by playing safe.

Happy for Matty though. Great guy, excellent footballer in his time. Just don't think he's the man to drag us upwards.

I really think we needed a complete change. New faces, new ideas, someone to come in and start making some well overdue tough calls on most aspects of our footballing department starting with our list.
That's not entirely true. The last process regarding the head coach was whether or not Port Adelaide would reappoint Mark Williams. The search for a bona fide head coach never got underway until this assessment.

Hopefully the board has made the right decision and Primus makes the hard decisions in who is required at Port Adelaide. For mine he can show he's his own man by reinvigorating the coaches box and surround himself with astute football minds.

I'll be happy to be proved wrong, but wins - after giving up leads in some - against bottom sides, spanked by teams that don't allow front running and the panic chip-chip when down and giving up were still all there during his 7 weeks.

The whole process is about as believable as the two amigos in Canberra. It reeks of the result being decided, now lets have a drawn out 'process' that looks like justifying it.

I'll believe Primus is his own man if I see someone he's played a decent number of games with either traded against their desire to remain, or delisted. Unless that happens, it'll take awhile for me to come round to this not another jobs for the boys, same old same old decision.

That's not entirely true. The last process regarding the head coach was whether or not Port Adelaide would reappoint Mark Williams. The search for a bona fide head coach never got underway until this assessment.

Hopefully the board has made the right decision and Primus makes the hard decisions in who is required at Port Adelaide. For mine he can show he's his own man by reinvigorating the coaches box and surround himself with astute football minds.

If fact his hardest decisions are in front of him - and they are not player related - it is the make-up of the ACs and he might need to cut guys who have been part of the team, and most likely friends, for a few years now.

This will be a real test of his strength and character.

Re: Port Adelaide Football Club chooses Matthew Primus to replace Mark Williams as coach

Thats 2 posts in a row now without a " ! ".

Is the "1" on your keyboard playing up?

I just lost my gear. Possibly pised my pants a little. :D

I'll be happy to be proved wrong, but wins - after giving up leads in some - against bottom sides, spanked by teams that don't allow front running and the panic chip-chip when down and giving up were still all there during his 7 weeks.

The whole process is about as believable as the two amigos in Canberra. It reeks of the result being decided, now lets have a drawn out 'process' that looks like justifying it.

I'll believe Primus is his own man if I see someone he's played a decent number of games with either traded against their desire to remain, or delisted. Unless that happens, it'll take awhile for me to come round to this not another jobs for the boys, same old same old decision.
Andre we got the guy that wrote the book on coach selection processes for the AFL to be on the panel. He's come out and said that Primus was the right choice and the process the club used to make that choice was world class. Based on that you should be confident that the process was not contrived.

Andre we got the guy that wrote the book on coach selection processes for the AFL to be on the panel. He's come out and said that Primus was the right choice and the process the club used to make that choice was world class. Based on that you should be confident that the process was not contrived.
Spot on Toots. No conspiracy theories required here. Not sure how we set Grand Final week as the time initially but that's not important if we've made a good pick.

We've gone for someone new to the caper and there's always some risk and uncertainty. However all the realistic applicants seemed to be part of this group and therefore we've gone for one with the charisma and immediate respect of the playing group.

Congrats Matty, it will only get harder from here!

This assumes that there are players on our list who, throuigh poor performances, deserve to be traded/delisted against their wishes.

If we open this up to all of the BF posters to name such players, based on the usual bias, we will get all 40 on the squad nominated.

So how can it be a valid measuring point?

This was a courageous decision i think Primus has shown something with the short time that he has had i think he will have a lot of hard work ahead of him but i anybody was to succeed i would rather it be Primus than anyone else:thumbsu:

If fact his hardest decisions are in front of him - and they are not player related - it is the make-up of the ACs and he might need to cut guys who have been part of the team, and most likely friends, for a few years now.

This will be a real test of his strength and character.
You're absolutely right Natman. We can bitch, moan and debate who was the right person for the job. The fact is a process was undertaken, Primus was deemed the best person for the job and has been appointed for 3 seasons.

Make no mistake. Matthew Primus is going to be under more scrutiny than anyone in the history of the Port Adelaide Football Club since AFL inception. As far as I am concerned he has the opportunity to shape the club in his image and get away from the stigma of Williams Port Adelaide. Bring in the wrecking ball Matty and have at it.

The foundations of Primus Port Adelaide should be laid today and I'm not interested in any revolution, 12th and loving it or Live The Creed campaigns. Get out there, do it and makes us all believe.

Build it and we'll come Matthew.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well done to the selection committee and congratulations to Matty.

To paraphrase Tredders when he retired talking about Matty's captaincy and to something the club can use as a club slogan, lets all;
JUMP ON THE MATTRESS!

The difficult part about the delistings is that Matty may feel that some players were not given a fair go. If Broadbent was playing for Williams still his head could be on a chopping board. The Hoff was toast only a month and a half ago and with the compromised draft we just don't know what is out there.

I was in the Scott camp but now Matty is coach he has my full support. I don't expect immediate results but if the team could keep up the same endeavor it had in the last few weeks I will be happy.

2) Primus says "ahh" and "umm" way too much.. lol

This drove me blinking crazy!! I almost had to turn it off before he got to the end of his brief statement.....Pleas lord, let someone work with him on this, it is excruciating!!

His PTV spot doesn't say much but you could see how thrilled he was to get the gig. I'm excited to jump on the Mattress! ;)

he did make the point that "we would probably have new assistants"

In between the ahh....ahhhh.ahhhhh...uhm....ahhhh...I did glean this...ahhhh.....ahhh...piece of....ahhhh.....uhm....information.

This drove me blinking crazy!! I almost had to turn it off before he got to the end of his brief statement.....Pleas lord, let someone work with him on this, it is excruciating!!
Matt spoke for 1:36 = 96 seconds

he said "ahh" 30 times = 1 every 3.2 seconds
he said "umm" 10 times = 1 every 9.6 seconds
he said "you know" 6 times = 1 every 16 seconds

ahh, umm or you know came up once every 2.2 seconds

lol

still im sure he was nervous as all hell and excited... which probably made it a hell of a lot worse

Matt spoke for 1:36 = 96 seconds

he said "ahh" 30 times = 1 every 3.2 seconds
he said "umm" 10 times = 1 every 9.6 seconds
he said "you know" 6 times = 1 every 16 seconds

ahh, umm or you know came up once every 2.2 seconds

lol

still im sure he was nervous as all hell and excited... which probably made it a hell of a lot worse

I will no tbe able to listen to any of his pressers if he keeps up that ratio. Kudos for you for being able to listen to it again and count them!!

I wish him all the best. He did some nice things when he took over. So I look forward to seeing what Primus will change over the summer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Port Chooses Primus

Remove this Banner Ad

Back