Port Chooses Primus

Remove this Banner Ad

As long as the club did its due dilligence, then if they came to the conclusion that Matty was the best fit for the job then its all good.

I wanted an outside influence with no ties to the playing list, but hopefully Matty can again but a positive imprint on our club, just like he did as a player.
Duncanson and Haysman were firm that the process was stuck to and that Primus was clearly the best applicant.

It's a 3 year appointment.

Presser at 12.

Duncanson made the point that the committee had stayed water tight and that Rowe on 5 double crow had stated at 5 to eight that Scott would get the job. Then Dittmar 15 minutes later stated it was Primus.

Congratulations Matthew Primus.

BTW there will be a members info night tonight. I think at 5 pm but don't quote me. I assume it will be announced on the club website.

Re: Port Adelaide Football Club chooses Matthew Primus to replace Mark Williams as coach

what makes me sick are the people on our facebook page praising the decision, these bandwagon ***** have no idea. If only they didn't ban me from the PAFC fb page :(

Re: Port Adelaide Football Club chooses Matthew Primus to replace Mark Williams as coach

Not convinced at all on the Roos/Primus comparison, Roos through his career played under David Parkin, Robert Walls, Rod Austin, Robert Shaw, Ron Barrassi and Eade whereas Primus has really only played prodominently under Williams.

All being said though good luck though to Primus, I think he deserved the job after the great job he did as caretaker.

Didn't seem to do Roos too much harm, did it? ;)

I wanted Scott as coach but I'm happy for Matty to get it and will support him and the club 100%.

What will piss me off is if Kingsley remains as assistant coach though.

Congratulations and well done Matty Primus. Also well done to those who picked him.

I hope he gives us what we've been missing in the last three or so years.

As many others have already said, I was wanting Scott to coach us. But I have faith that the board did its job, weighed everything up, and appointed the man who was best for the job.

I dont think that the board engage in gold passess.. lets support Matty and put faith in him to deliver results because we are supporters

Congratulations to Primus!

It was a no brainer for me. His ability to lead men and his sheer presence as a man almost had him over the line on its own. This, combined with what I am now assuming were some very impressive presentations on game style and idealogy, made him too hard to pass on.

Looking forward to hearing what Haysman has to say.

I'm also looking forward to who he surrounds himself with.

I wanted Scott as coach but I'm happy for Matty to get it and will support him and the club 100%.

What will piss me off is if Kingsley remains as assistant coach though.
Kingsley is gone. There is thread around the boards about that.

Good luck to Matty, played a lot of youth and got some good results. Will be interesting to see how he goes with a full list and a pre season under his belt. The proof will be in the pudding.

what makes me sick are the people on our facebook page praising the decision, these bandwagon ***** have no idea. If only they didn't ban me from the PAFC fb page :(

If only they would ban you from here as well...

Didn't seem to do Roos too much harm, did it? ;)

Seriously it probably helped him as he learn't what not to do.

I will support Matty but the comparison is correct, Matty general experience is Mark Williams but I am sure he's picked up his own idea's along the way.

Roo's on the other hand had the experiences of all those coaches to draw on and make comparisons. I always thought making a mistake is good as long as I learn from the mistake.

I guess either way, Choco made enough for Matty to learn :)

Let's get the ball rolling I say, let's see what he does in the trade period and draft period, that will give us an idea on his strategy.

Hopefully he was good mates with Kirk & Basset so we get Basset and Kirk in the box :)

Not convinced at all on the Roos/Primus comparison, Roos through his career played under David Parkin, Rober Walls, Rod Austin, Robert Shaw, Ron Barrassi and Eade whereas Primus has really only played prodominently under Williams.

But Primus has also played under the great Neil Craig and the even greater Mick Nunan, who in turn played under the great Jack Oatey. So his influences will be hand ball happy, robotic and he'll be searching for a Jarman to put on the list.

Let's be honest, it was a fait accompli the moment he went 5-2. I'm torn on the appointment as I wanted a change in direction for the club but if the process has identified him as the best candidate then so be it. The proof will be in the pudding over the next 3 seasons.

If Primus wants to succeed immediately, he can start by cleaning house in the list and the coaches box (and suggesting a new FOM ;)).

Good luck mattress.

Our last process idnetified Choco as the best candidate, from pretty much the same group who ran this process.

Agree with you entirely on the cleaning house bit. If Kingsley gets a new contract, and our list stays much the same, then I think the club has made an error again by playing safe.

Happy for Matty though. Great guy, excellent footballer in his time. Just don't think he's the man to drag us upwards.

I really think we needed a complete change. New faces, new ideas, someone to come in and start making some well overdue tough calls on most aspects of our footballing department starting with our list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

probably would have been happier with someone outside the club, but i reckon he's shown enough to be given a shot. his wins may have been against fairly crap opposition but it was an opposition we were perfectly capable of losing against the way we were going this season. the players and the public respect him, and with some new assistants at his side he should be able to turn the club around.

good luck to him, should be an interesting couple of years :)

Adelaide - Had a terrible year this season
Hawthorn - are pretenders and got found out
West Coast - the worst team and we only won by a point after giving up at 3-4 goal lead in the last quarter
Melbourne - They do not travel well
Richmond - Once again gave up a 10 goal lead and nearly lost it to 15th placed tigers

Forgive me if I am wrong but that looks like a chocco summary

And now you are on the main board bullshyting about being close to the presentations - you now have lost any credibility that you had, which was little in any event.

Go and "support" another team.

But Primus has also played under the great Neil Craig and the even greater Mick Nunan, who in turn played under the great Jack Oatey. So his influences will be hand ball happy, robotic and he'll be searching for a Jarman to put on the list.

Who is this "great" Neil Craig you speak of :confused:

Look,

I will be lying if I said I wasnt a little worried.

But will continue to support this club 150%, will be buying even more memberships this year, even though I supported Scott more.

The club made the decision, they knew more than we will ever know about all the candidates.

Congratulations to Matty, fantastic player and hopefully a fantastic coach.

I'm also looking forward to who he surrounds himself with.

This will be the key. I feel Primus is not up to the job, without some good solid support from someone with experience.

I hope the club finds him a mentor or bring in one or two career assistant coaches.

Bring on 2011! I look forward to development of our youth and development of our coaching panel!

Very happy for matty. He's a great leader of men, which would have set him apart from scott. At least russ will be happy.

This will make for an interesting off season - Krakouer already gone, motlop going. Already the mental fortitute of our team looks all the more stronger.

Will be interesting to see if those 5000 members who refused to sign up because of choco will now sign up or find some other cop out excuse to not be a financial member of the club.

There is no proof that bringing in an outsider just for the sake of it will bring success to a club - just look at matthew knights and essendon, richmond footy club in general. On the other hand Choco, Paul Roos and John Worsfold are all 'favourite sons' who have coached their clubs to premierships over the past decade. Neil Craig and Brett Ratten were both assistant and caretaker coaches who have led (relatively) successful revivals for their clubs so far. So I think it's time to swing behind the club's decision and look forward to returning to our rightful place at the top end of the ladder!

I can now honestly say I have no faith in our club anymore, once again we took the easy option. I will not be renewing my membership next year and the williams era can now be renamed the williams-primus era instead now because its still not finished.

If you are a true Port supporter mate, you support the club.

Whilst I was marginally in favour of Scott, I am pretty comfortable with the Primus appointment. He has not done too much wrong over the last 7 weeks and i have notice a distict change in game style since he took over. The players seem to kick longer now and to a contest.

He deserves a chance and I will certainly support him and urge all Port fans to do the same.

I wanted Scott.... but im not disappointed too much about this appointment
to be honest i knew all along Primus would get the gig... it was so bloody obvious

To those that are saying Kingsley is gone... no he isnt... he hasnt confirmed it and also mentioned that he would go IF Primus didnt get the job

So i fully expect that Kingsley will remain at Port

Good luck to Matty. I really do hope he got the job on merits rather than due to a popularity contest. Hopefully his presentation was strong and he brings some new people to the club rather than just stick with the same old monkeys we have had for years

Remove this Banner Ad

Port Chooses Primus

Remove this Banner Ad

Back