Mar 17, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
QLD Bulls, Brisbane Heat
- Broke even in contested possessions. 125/126
- Won the tackle count. 81/68
- Won the clearance count. 40/30 (Whilst losing the hit outs)
- Ran out another 4th quarter really well.

We did better than break even against one of the best engine rooms in the competition. Crowley severely diminished Judd's impact, two weeks in a row he has done his job extremely well.

Instead of one or two guys really standing up it was a team effort, guys like Pearce, Mzungu and Ibbotson continue to improve. Barlow and Mundy were good without being exceptional, both still look to be regaining fitness, Mundy in particular looked to be dragging around his body at times. Duffield, Johnson and McPhee were good down back again for the most part and Griffin stood in well for Sandilands. Neale was great in the last quarter with the fresh legs, his kicking into the forward line noticeable and that quick handball off to McPharlin for the goal was Black like. Need to blood him into a full game next week against Gold Coast.

Disappointing loss but really a game we should have won if not for our inaccuracy in front of goals.

Jack Anthony has to go, tries hard but just doesn't provide any results.

Discuss?

We're always going to have a chance at winning 'the stats game' with Ross's game plan notorious...I don't think it's something we should hang our hat on - anyone who saw tonight's game saw a masterclass in butchered disposals, ineffective forward entries and structural flaws in our own forward 50 under the fast break.
I think the best thing to take away from tonight was that we didn't rollover and get slaughtered. This game plan does not allow for blow-outs but conversely if we don't finish with polish we won't get the win as they are closely fought 'rolling maul' contests. Last week we had polish inside 50 and forward of centre, this week not so and the result reflected it.
Looks like The boys need to get down to Supercheap auto and get a bucketload of Kitten!

I actually think Ross's gameplan is working for us. If we had of kicked a couple of the 10+ regulation goals that we missed then we would have knocked off a top 4 side.

We don't have an elite team, we are very much like st kilda where we have a few A graders but bottom 5-6 are utter plodders.

The Freo of old would have lost by 10 goals to carlton tonight.

Our forward structure hasn't worked for years so I'm not about to blame that onto Ross (just yet)

Hill's game- busted a gut, is starting to look for the hand off around the back of the mark a lot more which is good to see, keeps him involved and dangerous. Mzungu, Ibbo and Creepy tried hard. Thought Fyfe, Barlow and Mundy all had their colours lowered a bit and we only lost by 8.

Yep, agree. Freo of old would of folded and Carlton would of run out 10 goal winners.

Pearce continues to play well. 10 tackles for the kid tonight.

Robinson may be better than Suban according to that other thread, but Pearce would give Robbo a run for his money at the moment.

Had a gret 2nd quarter, controlled the game and really limited Carlton's supply. Defence worked hard and know how to help each other, really need that work in the midfield. This game would be so differently talked about just based on the kicking for goal.. Sadly it's not the first time this has happened. Mzingu, deboer, barlow had chances. To be a winning side, must nail those goals.

Hill's game- busted a gut, is starting to look for the hand off around the back of the mark a lot more which is good to see, keeps him involved and dangerous. Mzungu, Ibbo and Creepy tried hard. Thought Fyfe, Barlow and Mundy all had their colours lowered a bit and we only lost by 8.

Not sure the hand off can be a great thing. Was the main culprit behind JA's decision to play on, blamed Hill for being a selfish idiot instead of letting JA just line up and kick it. Sadly JA copped it. Other than that, he had a very speedy first quarter and tried to get fast goals. That first goal can do wonders for his confident.

Ibbo was very very solid tonight. He beat betts and yarran and his precision kicking was spot on out of defence.
Johnson wasn't beaten.. becoming a back line general
Pav was great in the middle? wtf?
Ryan killed the eye gouger

Ibbo was very very solid tonight. He beat betts and yarran and his precision kicking was spot on out of defence.

Just on this, my mate showed me a tweet from Gaz Jnr sometime in the 4th quarter calling Crowley a dirty dog or something similar, that dude has a massive chip on his shoulder. He'll blitz us next week of course but he should just keep his mouth shut, surely I didn't miss some kind of Judd-like technique being used on Judd tonight?

Massive positive seeing Crowley continue his very good tagging form.

He must have played well if he's beaten Yarran from opposite sides of the country.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only significant positive for mine is that the team just kept working hard. The one consistent thing this season has been the work-rate and effort of the team overall extending right to the final siren.

I'll add that I think the game plan is fine, we really should have won that game. Some individuals had reasonable games too, that's about it.

The only significant positive for mine is that the team just kept working hard. The one consistent thing this season has been the work-rate and effort of the team overall extending right to the final siren.

I'll add that I think the game plan is fine, we really should have won that game. Some individuals had reasonable games too, that's about it.

I would have to strongly disagree with this, the 3rd quarter was an abomination and annoyingly we've been very strong in the premiership quarter this year, were trailing and were at home, should have come out blazing after halftime to rectify the dodgy goalkicking but we surrendered and I don't think we even scored a point until well over halfway in the term, wouldn't have even gotten a goal if not for a great kick from Clarke.

I was at the game though so it was more noticeable IMO.

I would have to strongly disagree with this, the 3rd quarter was an abomination and annoyingly we've been very strong in the premiership quarter this year, were trailing and were at home, should have come out blazing after halftime to rectify the dodgy goalkicking but we surrendered and I don't think we even scored a point until well over halfway in the term, wouldn't have even gotten a goal if not for a great kick from Clarke.

I was at the game though so it was more noticeable IMO.

Actually, you're right there. I was just thinking that after my post, the effort was there, but in the third quarter we were simply not switched on and as a few things didn't go our way and the boys just put their heads down and went flat in all areas. A far more skilled Carlton pounced and that was that.

So I'll correct that, the effort and work-rate was there for good parts of the game and might give them something to hang their hat on.

Just on this, my mate showed me a tweet from Gaz Jnr sometime in the 4th quarter calling Crowley a dirty dog or something similar, that dude has a massive chip on his shoulder. He'll blitz us next week of course but he should just keep his mouth shut, surely I didn't miss some kind of Judd-like technique being used on Judd tonight?

Massive positive seeing Crowley continue his very good tagging form.

Ablett posted that sort of stuff because Crowley does a brilliant job and it works. Seriously, one of his tweets about Lingy made me laugh, the ginger is just as worst with his holding on and grubbiness. Little baldy needs to realise that is his job and is told to do that. The goal would've made him eat humble pie. Also, Dennis Cometti also got involved in the act. Seriously, are these people soft ?

Thought Mzungu was ordinary, Mundy was worse.

Barlow's 3 easy misses just killed us.

The positives were Crowley, McPhee and Stephen Hill.

Hill in particular was playing a lone hand at on stage running himself ragged.

Lachie Neale was good too

Right there. Positive is that he's really finding ways to get into games and did tonight, but his skills (kicking in particular) have taken a dive coming back from injury. I'm not sure if it's a mechanics or confidence thing, but there's no way Micky would have missed all three of those two years ago.

Good post Notorious. For me I thought Griffen held his own in the ruck contests, although he did not do enough to impact the game around the ground. I start to think that maybe he could fit into the side with Sandi, use Sandi more in the square as a bomb target and have Balla and Mayne run through.

Crowley was perhaps our best player, but a negating player only gets real accolades if you win. Amazing job on Judd in career best form all the same, and a great goal.

Fyfe's courage astounds me. He continually puts his body on the line and tackles better than others. He is class. He is a competitor of the highest order.

Ibbo and McPhee. McPhee was almost BOG for me tonight. He continually worked to the contest and spoiled as necessary and his kicking was perfect. For me he kept us in the game. Ibbo's 4th quarter was what we all want from him.

I would love Silvagni in the team next week, and McPharlin to go forward again.

most of the above. Hill was exceptional early and just kept running all night. Our forward setup was dysfunctional with Carlton continually setting up across half back and picking off the long kick. Hill was about the only one who busted a gut breaking the lines, trying to provide some sort of target inside 50.
Ibbo was excellent as was McPhee & Johnson.
Beaten by a classier midfield. Their field kicking particularly Gibbs just destroyed us and our inside 50 entries were poor. Plenty to work with.

I REALLY REALLY want Morabito in the team soon. His speed and long kicking would be very handy. But he isn't even playing WAFL this weekend.

The main positive is that we can match it with the best teams.

I just remembered another huge positive (miracle even), Judd getting pinged for HTB was a thing of beauty.

Oh, yes yes yes. I couldn't believe he was pinged (and rightly so I might add). He nearly always get's away with that sort of thing and the umpires finally had the balls to nab him, right in front of goals too. It was a great chance for a team lifting goal right when we had ascendency in general play .... of course we missed the shot :mad:.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Positives

Remove this Banner Ad

Back