Post-goal song ideas for our players

Remove this Banner Ad

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Thought this one could be a bit of fun for our board and potentially a great brainstorming session. We all know the post-goal songs that are played for individual players up the road at the Gabba and we've seen how iconic that has become for players like Charlie Cameron with Country Road. So what about our players? What are some post-goal songs that our guys could use at home games that would fit the scenario? A few of the top of my head:

Ben King: The King of Wishful Thinking - Go West
Malcolm Rosas - All Night Long - Lionel Richie
Mac Andrew: Return of the Mack - Mark Morrison

By his own admission, Mally looks like a young Lionel Richie if you're wondering.

I think post-goal songs only work if they're good, they're accepted by the crowd and player, and hit at the right time. Country Roads is pretty incredible, but most post-goal songs aren't too flash. Post-goal songs have to hit at least one of these criteria:

1. Sound good, either through the song itself or by the crowd singing it. Some good songs wouldn't translate.

2. Have some relation to the player, either through some pun (Hey Jude for Hugh McCluggage), or personal connection to the player

3. Hits the varying demographics that attend the footy, both age, taste, and experience. The songs can't all be boomer anthems or Gen Z hyperpop, and they can't all be the same genre.

Additonal criteria: The crowd has to know the player's names and which song is associated with that player. Might be a bit tough with casual crowds and the large percentage of traveling away fans.

I'm possibly a bad person to be answering this since my tastes are so eclectic, but here's a few ideas, most of them are shi tposts or terrible puns:

Jake "the Snake" Rogers: Snake Eater (MGS3) - Cynthia Harrell (or Donna Burke's version)

Sam Flanders: Everybody Hates Ned Flanders - Homer Simpson ft David Byrne, Carl Carlson, and Lenny Leonard

Matt Rowell: Bulls on Parade - Rage Against the Machine

Matt Rosas: Red Like Roses Part II - Jeff Williams feat. Casey Lee Williams & Sandy Casey)

Sam "The Closer" Clohesy: Hold Me Closer - Cornelia Jakobs

Ethan Read: Read About It - Midnight Oil

Noah Anderson: Take your pick of the million songs about moustaches

brayden fiorini

sam day

bailey humphrey

ben long

sean lemmens

ben king

joel jeffrey

malcolm rosas

sandy brock