Opinion Posts That Don't Deserve a Thread (Random Opinion or Questions)

Remove this Banner Ad

This is a very 'Victorian' view... and kindly keep your character aspersions to yourself! I completely understand that many south melbourne supporters are very happy, lucky them...

I have followed Sydney since they got here, before that I followed South Melbourne. The excitement of having our own team and the opportunity to be here from the ground up was exhilarating! That's how they sold it to us... A Sydney club! And some of us bought into it, lock, stock and barrel... we kept the colors, we kept the V, we kept 'the swans', we included 'SMFC 1873' on every jumper... we honored our beginnings. But we were the SYDNEY club!

And then when we emerged from 20 years of pain, and and spend another 20 years growing into a successful club with an outstanding finals record and two recent grand final wins, you dumped us! You returned to South Melbourne and the South Melbourne jumper for Victorian games... and once again, it became clear its a very Victorian centred game.

I feel like they promised us a Sydney club and then they are changing the story... Yes, I feel betrayed and I begrudge the jumper from 50 years ago. If we had kept it for heritage round, that would have been fine, Souths are our heritage. But that's not what has happened.

I do not need you to feel the same way as me to validate my feelings...

But it is rather hypocritical to hang on to a 50 year old relic from the past as sacred, and then tell someone else they're close minded and mean spirited.

Pardon. Here is the Ticky post I referenced.

There's an area around the back where you can walk into the Noble and get access to the escalators. But when we were seated in the Bradman they would never allow people to go up or down that way.

AND they refused to allow people with disabilities or prams to use the lift because it was a goods lift. Not sure if its changed over the years or not because we moved out of there as quick as we could because of that limited access.

This is exactly the reason behind it. The club has struggled at times to cater to the demand of the Melbourne market while trying to grow their membership numbers in Melbourne while the number of games is lower than at any time in our history.

The club currently as a whole is balancing the two cities one club dynamic as best as they have in the last 20 years, the Red V jumper is everywhere on fans when you go to games in Melbourne and its such a small thing that drives fan engagement and ultimately membership and merchandise sales
Likewise open training, fan days etc. Kids are our future (no matter the location) so getting out amongst them is super important. Having players who parents approve of likewise. The club does well on all these measures IMO.
I'm particularly happy with our recent efforts with the indigenous kids and if course how brilliantly our AFLW effort has been launched. All these things help secure the future of the club but equally importantly have been done in the right way.

Thought this was the best place to ask this question but i can't seem to find a Corey Warner thread. Am i missing something or do we just not have a thread for him?

Thought this was the best place to ask this question but i can't seem to find a Corey Warner thread. Am i missing something or do we just not have a thread for him?

Yep on me didn't look back far enough in the forums

You mean the very jumper that was worn for the first 5 seasons as the "Sydney" Swans.

Do you mean use it for a Round that doesn't exist?

That is South, not Souths.

Just remember that those of us in Melbourne never agreed for the club to be moved to Sydney in the first place and what we were promised after the move was forced upon us by the VFL has NEVER been followed through on. So wearing our jumper for Victorian games goes a small way to make up for that.
You mean the very jumper that was worn for the first 5 seasons as the "Sydney" Swans.
Yes, that's right... that's the one... the one that was out of date 35 years ago!

Pick a game, make a round...

Only for Victorians... you were souths up here

Just remember that those of us in Melbourne never agreed for the club to be moved to Sydney in the first place and what we were promised after the move was forced upon us by the VFL has NEVER been followed through on. So wearing our jumper for Victorian games goes a small way to make up for that.

So because you were sold a pup first, I'm not allowed to feel bad about being sold a pup later? Your injury happened first, so therefore it's more important and makes mine insignificant?

As two dedicated Swans fans I'm sad to see you angry. You feel how you feel of course and I would never tell you otherwise but I hope you might remember how much you have in common.
As to the Vic jumper I suspect that the club is trying to put more Swans bums on seats in games in Vic and build the fan base there beyond what it is at the moment. That plus sell some more merch. $$$$.
I have absolutely no doubt you are right... I completely understand why they have done what they have done. The club is an extremely well-run business, who are building a very bright future and ensuring their very bleak past is never repeated.

That does not change any of my thoughts, or the betrayal I feel.

This is exactly the reason behind it. The club has struggled at times to cater to the demand of the Melbourne market while trying to grow their membership numbers in Melbourne while the number of games is lower than at any time in our history.

The club currently as a whole is balancing the two cities one club dynamic as best as they have in the last 20 years, the Red V jumper is everywhere on fans when you go to games in Melbourne and its such a small thing that drives fan engagement and ultimately membership and merchandise sales
Except it's not such a small thing... If it was small it wouldn't be having the impact it is!

This club is bigger than two cities so you should all get over it.

Vic fans without the club moving to Sydney you wouldn't have a club. Sydney fans wouldn't have a club if it didn't move there and the vic fans didn't stay loyal. I remember watching as a kid in the early 90s and neither group of fans seemed to give a **** then.

My point is it's great to be able to wear a guernsey that is a nod to our roots and to have the best jumper in the land everywhere else.

But if you think this club is just two cities well heck off 🤣 there are fans everywhere. We can be the biggest sporting club in the land, so who cares about which town claims it more , just great you all and we all love the great club.

The club has a great balance right now imo. People want to get different guernseys , see the indigenous round, the round zero jumper , the clash strip and the V. It's everywhere , people love it and we have the luxury of having a second offering that is a nod to our roots and our past.

I love both. I am just glad we don't have to bastardise our guernsey for clash purposes and wear complete crap like other clubs.

Don't give me open minded... your part of the group that tossed the Swans jumpers for an old red and white V...

And we're not talking about 20 - 40 years, we're talking about now... Mostly we get crowds in 30Ks in Sydney, for either really big games, or when we're winning pretty consistently. Having an 80K stadium with a 40 - 45K crowd will have a really poor atmosphere. I like the SCG, I like the crowd, and I like the feel of it... It's where we started in Sydney...

We played at ANZ for about 15 years, and when we went back to the SCG we were welcomed home! The crowds improved and grew. Now we've built a state of the art facility for the players and staff less than a five minute walk away, and you want to move the club somewhere else...

If we draw 40K crowds for a season or two, then we'll get some leverage to have a say in the surfacing.. but lets make sure we get there first!
Don't have to move , just rebuild 2 stands

Souths , can't believe it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geez your fast.
It a long story , 1st game was in a pram !

I'm no Jack Hiscox but I go ok.

Yeah share it sometime if you ever want too, it's those stories that make the club great, how people go into it, especially if you were lucky enough to grow up around the club.

I am jealous of that aspect , as I didn't go to my first live game of Swans Footy until 2004 at Telstra dome 😂. Had been to like a practice one here

Used to follow the local stuff as close instead

I'm no Jack Hiscox but I go ok.

Yeah share it sometime if you ever want too, it's those stories that make the club great, how people go into it, especially if you were lucky enough to grow up around the club.

I am jealous of that aspect , as I didn't go to my first live game of Swans Footy until 2004 at Telstra dome 😂. Had been to like a practice one here

Used to follow the local stuff as close instead
Thanks Kingy , i think there's a page to introduce your self , but would seem a bit self indulgent

On a semi related note

AFL cheer squads

do they get paid ? or their tickets and travel paid for? or are they just following their clubs around?

Who can be stuffed making a banner
Used to do it every Friday night at the Lake Oval , about 5 of us every week

Among all the ACL injuries that some clubs are experiencing would that be related to a change in the strength and conditioning/nutrition of those clubs in the offseason?
I don't know, but they had better figure it out fast... there seem to be a lot of injuries for just on half way through the season

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Posts That Don't Deserve a Thread (Random Opinion or Questions)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back