Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
No go Woe
By ANDREW CAPEL
10dec05
PORT Adelaide has all but ruled itself out of a shock swoop for Brownlow Medallist Shane Woewodin at Tuesday's AFL pre-season draft.

The Power is understood to have taken several phone calls from Woewodin's manager, Liam Pickering, pleading for his client to be thrown an AFL lifeline.

And Woewodin, who won the Brownlow Medal with Melbourne in 2000 before being traded to Collingwood and delisted last month, says he is prepared to move to South Australia to continue his 200-game career.

But the Power, while intrigued at the possibility of securing a Brownlow Medallist, says drafting the 29-year-old would go against its new youth policy - a policy which this year signalled the end of premiership players Roger James and Brett Montgomery.

"We haven't ruled him out but it would go against our principle," Port football operations manager Peter Rohde said.

"There's been some discussion about him but drafting him would be very unlikely."

Port will have a final draft discussion on Monday before deciding which player to choose with its one pre-season draft pick.

He has been training at Port for a month and has impressed Williams with his endurance and tough, ball-winning ability.

The Crows, who say they are not interested in Woewodin, also are in the hunt for Logan. But Port picks one spot before its arch-rival, leaving it in pole position to secure him. The Power also is considering playmaking North Adelaide and ex-Collingwood defender Jason Roe, who also has been training at Alberton. "They are both in the mix," Rohde conceded.

Former Melbourne midfielder Steven Armstrong and ex-Essendon on-baller Marc Bullen, both linked to Port in the trade period, loom as other possibilities. If Adelaide misses out on Logan, it is likely to select one of the premier teenagers overlooked at the national draft with its pre-season selection.

The AFL yesterday confirmed nine clubs - resulting in 10 players being taken - could participate in the pre-season draft. Essendon gets two picks. St Kilda was ruled ineligible because of salary cap restrictions.

The rookie draft will be held straight after the pre-season draft with Adelaide and Port to pick four players each.

It surprised at how interested people are in this. I just see it as a beat up.
But when I went up to the shops this morning it was all the go. The guy in the newsagent is also a Port supporter and spent 5 min talking about it. The guy at the fruit shop is a Cows supporter but spent 10 min talking about it.
He's not a bad player but he's not for us.

I'll cop flack for this but you could do worse than picking Woewodin up.

I certainly dont want us too, he is as soft as they come but I think he still has AFL footy left in him.

He does not fit in our plans it would seem but he plays the receiving style well enough that surely he presents an option for an AFL club somewhere.

The Club is being consistent WRT rebuilding & their reasoning is sound.

Not neccesarily a reflection on Woey IMO ('tho I'm not a fan, I do respect how he made a career out of nothing).

Interestingly the Club seems to be addressing the age profile of the team. It almost seems they took notice of some discussion here I found very interesting where posters were analysing the age profile & it showed we basically had a reverse bell curve happening.

Lo & behold the Club has dropped some oldies, traded for some early to mid 20s players & adopted a youth policy.

It would be interesting to see that age profile discussion revisted after the PSD & Rookie draft are completed.

(BTW apols for not naming the two or three posters who did the hard yards producing the analysis I mention above. I don't have time now to search for the thread, but I really value that sort of discussion when it appears:thumbsu: )

pafc4life said:
Can't say i'd be dissapointed if we picked Woewodin up in the PSD. Brownlow Medallist, bloody good player and has a few years left in him yet.

This is wrong in every regard, even the personal opinion bit at the start. You WOULD be dissappointed after he'd played one game.

Soft, slow, and he had a few years left in him around five years ago. He's done!
Collingwood have delisted him......and still no alarm bells going off?

Remove this Banner Ad

Power say NO to woewoedinful

Remove this Banner Ad

Back