Prelimianry finals

Remove this Banner Ad

catfan29 said:
Dont assume anything other than Geelong beating Stkilda on that weekend
HAHAHA - Man...Geelong fans really do have a great sense of humour, I mean they still think they're as good as the Saints..oh my.

PS. No chance against the Swans up there anyway.

Sydney should study the tape of the Geelong / Richmond game closely. Thompson was definitely outcoached as Richmond, despite the fact that Geelong fielded a stronger team, nearly stole the game.

Just been announced that St. Kilda's preliminary final will be played on Friday night, 16th September 2005.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

catfan29 said:
Looks like a 7 day break for the Cats before the Prelim. The good thing though is that we will get an 8 day break before the Grand Final.
Not really. Come September 9th, you get a 162 day break until you play your next game.

It's funny how people think the AFL have shunned the Saturday night Preliminary Final.

The only reason there is no Saturday night Preliminary Final, is because the West Coast Eagles are involved, meaning the AFL "can" schedule it during the afternoon, and still have it start at 4:30 Eastern time and finish around 7:00pm - perfect for ratings. When channel 7 used to telecast two matches back to back, live on Sunday, the second twlight game (usually starting arounf 4:30 Victorian time) was always a bigger ratings winner than the afternoon game.

If the West Coast Eagles weren't hosting the game, the match would instead be on a Saturday night. The AFL can get the best of both worlds with the 2 hour time difference. They can get an afternoon game to please the fans and make everyone "think" they are scheduling it in the afternoon out of the goodness of the heart. And the also get the good ratings, simply due to the fact that the match starts in the early evening.

FastnetRock said:
HAHAHA - Man...Geelong fans really do have a great sense of humour, I mean they still think they're as good as the Saints..oh my.

PS. No chance against the Swans up there anyway.

If Geelong played anyone else but Melbourne last week you would of lost. Even Fitzroy could of put up a better effort then what Melbourne did.

Dan26 said:
It's funny how people think the AFL have shunned the Saturday night Preliminary Final.

The only reason there is no Saturday night Preliminary Final, is because the West Coast Eagles are involved, meaning the AFL "can" schedule it during the afternoon, and still have it start at 4:30 Eastern time and finish around 7:00pm - perfect for ratings. When channel 7 used to telecast two matches back to back, live on Sunday, the second twlight game (usually starting arounf 4:30 Victorian time) was always a bigger ratings winner than the afternoon game.

If the West Coast Eagles weren't hosting the game, the match would instead be on a Saturday night. The AFL can get the best of both worlds with the 2 hour time difference. They can get an afternoon game to please the fans and make everyone "think" they are scheduling it in the afternoon out of the goodness of the heart. And the also get the good ratings, simply due to the fact that the match starts in the early evening.
interesting point.

also, i believe the eagles and subiaco oval requested an afternoon game. whether that get considered above ratings is another matter entirely.

zero said:
interesting point.

also, i believe the eagles and subiaco oval requested an afternoon game. whether that get considered above ratings is another matter entirely.

Ratings were the AFL prime consideration (provided both clubs had a least a 7 day break.) And that's not a bad thing, by the way. TV ratings are very important.

There is no doubt whatsoever, that had some other club been hosting that second Prelim, it would be on Saturday night. The AFL want maximum TV exposure and a 4:30pm start in the east does that, so they can get away with holding an afternoon game and make everyone think they are doing it out of the goodness of their hearts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prelimianry finals

Remove this Banner Ad

Back