Review Preliminary Final, 2024 - Geelong vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Geelong?

• [1] Kai Lohmann

• [3] Joe Daniher

• [4] Callum Ah Chee

• [5] Josh Dunkley

• [6] Hugh McCluggage

• [7] Jarrod Berry

• [8] Will Ashcroft

• [9] Lachie Neale

• [13] Logan Morris

• [15] Dayne Zorko

• [16] Cam Rayner

• [23] Charlie Cameron

• [26] Conor McKenna (sub)

• [28] Jaspa Fletcher

• [30] Eric Hipwood

• [31] Harris Andrews

• [33] Zac Bailey

• [35] Ryan Lester

• [37] Brandon Starcevich

• [40] Jack Payne

• [43] Noah Answerth

• [44] Darcy Wilmot

• [46] Oscar McInerney

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Saw it at the time and was absolutely spewing. I felt that Dunkley should've made a much bigger deal of it.

We did get one back when Dangerfield took the tap because I think he nominated but then Daniher engaged with Stanley or whoever it was.
Every week there's a blow up of whatever the umps missed and how we've been dudded.

Honestly I think I'm one of the worst at having a crack at the umps but in this finals series the umpiring's been for the most part fine. There were decisions missed for both teams yesterday. That's really the nature of it. You just don't want howlers at crucial moments.

Goes to show how important the entire off field team and also why there needed to be a cap on spending. No doubt the big clubs would’ve benefited hugely from being able to employ guys like Cotchin while the Lions were struggling to get anyone to the club

I can see why the last free to Stanley was paid because it appeared Andrews had interfered with him front on with no interest in the ball. But the replay showed that Andrews barely touched him and Stanley was never going to mark it with his hands together as they were,

Could've been an interesting one if they were under a goal behind.

Saw it at the time and was absolutely spewing. I felt that Dunkley should've made a much bigger deal of it.

We did get one back when Dangerfield took the tap because I think he nominated but then Daniher engaged with Stanley or whoever it was.
Yes, Danger nominated.
Stanley was a long way away and obviously did not hear the umpire's call.
Bad luck for them but Lions fans was quite happy

I can see why the last free to Stanley was paid because it appeared Andrews had interfered with him front on with no interest in the ball. But the replay showed that Andrews barely touched him and Stanley was never going to mark it with his hands together as they were,

Could've been an interesting one if they were under a goal behind.
Another goal for the Cats was possible if he kicked that one.
But i was pretty confident they would not get another with just 26 seconds left.

Every week there's a blow up of whatever the umps missed and how we've been dudded.

Honestly I think I'm one of the worst at having a crack at the umps but in this finals series the umpiring's been for the most part fine. There were decisions missed for both teams yesterday. That's really the nature of it. You just don't want howlers at crucial moments.

It has certainly been better than the regular season which is to be expected I guess…I have no issue with you or others complaining here about umps, better than yelling at the tv in front of the kids I reckon 😂

7 minutes left in the 3rd the ump missed the most obvious ruck infringement free in our forward pocket. Dunks and Stanley were the nominated rucks, some other Geelong player engaged Dunks, Stanley took it out of the ruck and cleared the defensive 50

How do the umps miss this?

I wanted to rage out about that last night when I watched the replay. Utterly awful umpiring.

The ump clearly identified Dunks as the nominated ruckman too. Absolutely stunningly bad.

Last night they just swallowed their whistle completely in the last. There were so many potential infringements both ways that I was just waiting for the whistle for (and at least a couple where several players looked around because they'd expected to be pulled up too).

Last night they just swallowed their whistle completely in the last. There were so many potential infringements both ways that I was just waiting for the whistle for (and at least a couple where several players looked around because they'd expected to be pulled up too).

The amount of front on contact frees they were ignoring was infuriating.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The amount of front on contact frees they were ignoring was infuriating.

That's why that one against Harris near the death was galling.

Hardly touched him and it was more of a case of Stanley mistiming his leap.

Felt like the umpire getting caught up in the vibe of a grandstand finish

A highlight was Joe taking the mark on the line and not breaking a stride and running away.

No one knew where joe was running or what he was doing. Joe did not know where he was running or what he was doing

In more BREAKING NEWS - Llordo “confirms” the Cats threw the game.

All jokes aside is there a bigger pelican in the game? Would like his opinion on how we carried our ruckman for 2 quarters with one arm and whether that cost us.

Not being able to make a decision on replacing an injured player, when they had Duncan, a quality winger, on the bench was terrible and possibly game changing mistake. I have to wonder if King, the assistant coach is the brains in the Cats coaching box. Almost amateur hour.

Goes to show how important the entire off field team and also why there needed to be a cap on spending. No doubt the big clubs would’ve benefited hugely from being able to employ guys like Cotchin while the Lions were struggling to get anyone to the club
I think getting in Cotchin shows how mature the club is, and going to the end to improve on last year. We clearly have the talent, the fitness, the coaching. Now it’s the final 1%.

So rapt for you guys. Herculean effort over the last two weeks, and it's great that the Grand Final is the two best and IMO most deserving teams in it. It was an amazing game, and the way the Lions played in the second half was a thing of beauty. Some of the most scintillating football I can recall.

As a proud Queenslander that only follows the Swans because my old man does, the Swans vs Lions has always been my dream Grand Final, to the extent that you guys winning effectively turned yesterday into my Grand Final.

I'll be a happy man however next week goes. All the best for the week and the game.

Also, Cal Ah Chee is a champion. One of my favourite players.

on the replay 2 that were a little in our favour… Charlie’s mark on the boundary. Very hard to call, would have needed the ARC to overturn on the replay. Rub of the green on that one.

The “unduly rough play” or whatever it was on Kai, I think it was Stanley. Hodgey called it wrong, and that’s tough prelim football. I think it was correct, but maybe a correction in the right direction from the AFL to protect exposed players jumping for the ball. Plenty of players have broken ribs and worse in those kind of incidents, and i feel it’s right to protect them. Perhaps it’s one more step to the bump disappearing, but if Lohmann had been injured and taken from the ground, that is not right. Correct call for me.

on the replay 2 that were a little in our favour… Charlie’s mark on the boundary. Very hard to call, would have needed the ARC to overturn on the replay. Rub of the green on that one.

The “unduly rough play” or whatever it was on Kai, I think it was Stanley. Hodgey called it wrong, and that’s tough prelim football. I think it was correct, but maybe a correction in the right direction from the AFL to protect exposed players jumping for the ball. Plenty of players have broken ribs and worse in those kind of incidents, and i feel it’s right to protect them. Perhaps it’s one more step to the bump disappearing, but if Lohmann had been injured and taken from the ground, that is not right. Correct call for me.

The impression I got with the Kai one was Stanley had no eye on the ball and took Kai front on. Borderline but think it was a 5050 call at worst.

As an old Fitzroy family, i’m loving having my family around and fully invested in the Lions again. They were heartbroken in 1996 and went their separate ways (Hawthorn, Carlton).
Dad came to the 2002 GF with me, but everyone else skipped the 3-peat.
This 2nd coming of the Lions under Fagan has drawn them back. Perhaps enough water has gone under the bridge, but they are genuinely supporting 2 teams right now, wearing Lions guernsey’s to the match last night. Dad (80) and 2 brothers will be there next week, having queued from 5am for seats in the MCC. Sure, they didn’t live through the dark years pre-Fagan, but there’s enough dark years in our past. The brother in the attached photo is flying down from Sydney next weekend for the match.

IMG_4773.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Preliminary Final, 2024 - Geelong vs. Brisbane Lions

Back