Preseason 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Same for me. I was the definition of a benchwarmer in highschool footy. Most games the coach literally wouldn't send me on at all unless we were winning or losing by an impossible margin. I was born with what doctors have described as "hypersensitive self-preservation instincts." I honestly would not take possession of the ball unless I had 10 metres of space in every direction. I don't think I ever laid a tackle nor received one. The worst injury I ever did was straining my quad in the pregame stretches which put me out for an entire season (didn't want to take any risks with it).
AT least its easier to remember your career highlights when you were a crap footier :think:

They’re the sort of blokes I used to envy in high school - good looking roosters , great athletes and if that wasn’t enough Lord Jebus gave them the ability to do the book learning too.

Stef’s Wikipedia page makes for interesting. He was a basketballer who didn’t play footy until he was 19 & only debuted when he was 22. He didn’t break out into a regular first team player for years after that.
That's probably why he is still able to perform at a high level. Yes, he's 34, but he has only played 13 seasons. More importantly, he has played less than 200 games and he prides himself on conditioning. There's no reason why he can't continue to perform at a high level for another two seasons.

Interesting that he mentioned having trained a few sessions vs Sweet already, with English having trouble with state border closures. It'll be doing Sweet the world of good. I like that Martin wants to get a good working relationship with the young rucks and teach them things.
By all reports out of Brisbane he was great helping them develop as a team

AT least its easier to remember your career highlights when you were a crap footier :think:

true! Since this is a safe space, I feel I can relate my one and only highlight from my career - kicking a goal in Laverton under 12s victorious grand final.

for reasons nobody understands, I was shifted to FF late in the last quarter after having no previous impact on the game in any position.

The ball came in and hit the deck in goal square... I ran to pick up the loose ball but was tackled before I could take possession. whistle! I remember the umpire chuckling at the vehemence with which I threw my arms in the air as I flopped for the free. I went back and slotted it truly from 5m.

Last edited:
Yep I once played for the school B team that used to get smashed every week and topped the goal kicking with 2 goals 1 behind and our team score was only 2 goals 1 behind
Legend!
true! Since this is a safe space, I feel I can relate my one and only highlight from my career - kicking a goal in Laverton under 12s victorious grand final.

for reasons nobody understands, I was shifted to FF late in the last quarter after having no previous impact on the game in any position.

The ball came in and hit the deck in goal square... I ran to pick up the loose ball but was tackled before I could take possession. whistle! I remember the umpire chuckling at the vehemence with which I thew my arms in the air as I flopped for the free. I went back and slotted it truly from 5m.
Legend!

The ball came in and hit the deck in goal square... I ran to pick up the loose ball but was tackled before I could take possession. whistle! I remember the umpire chuckling at the vehemence with which I threw my arms in the air as I flopped for the free. I went back and slotted it truly from 5m.
legend!!!

This bloke moves pretty well for a "cooked" 34 year-old. Can't wait to see how he contributes to the development of big Timmy and Sweet.

Was about to write this here, but wanted to catch up on the pages on this thread first. Beat me to it, he looks ready to go well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope this is the right thread for this chat but I'm interested in hearing who people think will be cut from the leadership group and who will be elevated.

In 2020 we had the following as our leaders

BONT C
HUNTER VC
WOOD
JJ
WALLIS
DUNKLEY

I can see both Hunter and Dunkley loose their respective positions for the season 2021 only

I also think that one of the the recruits will be added to the leadership group along with 3rd year sensation Bailey

So my 2021 leadership group would look like this

SMITH C
BONT V....haha we can all dream can't we!
Ok I'll be serious now...

6 Man Group
BONT C
JJ or WALLIS VC
WOOD
SMITH
MARTIN or DANIEL for the last spot

Im happy to hear others thoughts on the matter.

Last edited:
I hope this is the right thread for this chat but I'm interested in hearing who people think will be cut from the leadership group and who will be elevated.

BONT C
HUNTER VC
WOOD
JJ
WALLIS
DUNKLEY

I can see both Hunter and Dunkley loose their respective positions for the season 2021 only

I also think that one of the the recruits will be added to the leadership group along with 3rd year sensation Bailey

SMITH C

BONT C
JJ/WALLIS VC
WOOD
SMITH
MARTIN

Crozier seems to be stepping up in interviews etc so maybe him. Hunter has to go obviously. Dunkley I’d leave entirely up to the club to assess where they’re at with him.
Keath strikes me as being very professional and setting standards etc.

BONT C
HUNTER VC
WOOD
JJ
WALLIS
DUNKLEY

SMITH C

BONT C
JJ/WALLIS VC
WOOD
SMITH
MARTIN

If it's a group of 5, and assuming the new recruits (i.e. Martin) aren't straight in:

Bont - C
Wallis - VC
JJ
Crozier
Daniel

Daniel and Crozier the new additions. Both have been very active from a club media perspective lately, are among our more consistent and experienced players, and importantly are of great character. Hunter to drop out with potential to come back in for 2022, and Dunkley gone too. The last spot in the group would be between Daniel and Dunkley I feel. Keath another possibility

If it's a group of 5, and assuming the new recruits (i.e. Martin) aren't straight in:

Bont - C
Wallis - VC
JJ
Crozier
Daniel

Daniel and Crozier the new additions. Both have been very active from a club media perspective lately, are among our more consistent and experienced players, and importantly are of great character. Hunter to drop out with potential to come back in for 2022, and Dunkley gone too. The last spot in the group would be between Daniel and Dunkley I feel. Keath another possibility

Yeah i have to agree with your points made about Daniel and Crozier

If Martin doesnt make it i think Daniel is a much deserved and worthy option

I get future senior coaching bevo style vibes from him lately
he's really developed into a great clubman, player and person

Remove this Banner Ad

Preseason 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Back