Training Preseason 22-23

Remove this Banner Ad

I’d suggest everyone makes their way over to WOOF to read the preseason reports posted almost daily - really good content that we don’t get much of here.

I could post them here but I’d prefer WOOF gets the clicks & views for their own content rather than that money hungry ad-**** Chief

Link?

Now I don't know what to believe.

View attachment 1573653

happy zapp brannigan GIF

If Lade is taking on a more hands on role directing other coaches and actually being a senior assistant, that is huge for me. Back in 15/16 Monty actually ran most of training and Bevo concentrated on building belief, relationship management and developing a sound game plan.

After the flag he took a more hands on role in a lot of areas he Should have left to others and his coaching suffered massively. Coaching has been our Achilles heal over the past 5 years and yes that includes the 2021 GF. If the coaching load is more evenly split and Lade is a real Senior Assistant then I am very optimistic on our chances this year.

View attachment 1573653
I was at training on Monday and there was ZERO standing off the mark. So, this poster is certainly contradictory to what happened before my very eyes for the entire session three days ago. I will be attending training tomorrow, so will report back, with a video...

I was at training on Monday and there was ZERO standing off the mark. So, this poster is certainly contradictory to what happened before my very eyes for the entire session three days ago. I will be attending training tomorrow, so will report back, with a video...

It can come down to what was being run at the session you were at.

Only going by the footage you provided, it seems they were working on offensive ball movement with an emphasis on transitioning quickly. If that’s what they were doing, the defensive aspect could have just been mock pressure if the coaches wanted to see how it looked without a lot of pressure.
Other days they may run drills with more of an emphasis on defending opposition transition. That would have been a better indicator of how we are going about the standing the mark rule.

A lot of early pre season is match simming different aspects of a teams system. One day offensive transition, another defensive, with stoppage work sprinkled in. At some stage usually as the season approaches, both aspects are run and training becomes more full match sim where they run two mock teams against each other with each playing to both offensive and defensive systems. Pending which has the ball.

Saying that, it was only a short clip and you may be able to share more of what was being trained.

Knowing Bevo though, I wouldn’t put a cross through the 5 metre rule until the 5 min mark of Rd 1.

View attachment 1573653
Well, there might be room for both. I’ve seen other teams use it sometimes, and it might be appropriate for us to use sometimes. Maybe they are being taught to judge when to best use the tactic under various circumstances.

Just… devil’s advocate…

Well, there might be room for both. I’ve seen other teams use it sometimes, and it might be appropriate for us to use sometimes. Maybe they are being taught to judge when to best use the tactic under various circumstances.

Just… devil’s advocate…
Yeah this is my first thought - I’m more than happy to use it in the back half of the ground, I don’t think it matters much either way back there and I can see the merit in allowing us time to thoroughly set up behind the ball in our own half and hold position rather than losing your shape pushing up to the mark - but once you hit around that halfway mark we just have to shift to a more in your face/territory based defensive structure. And if we dont, this year is going to be another write off before it’s started.

I’m keen to see how we’ve evolved our methods as I can’t see us going full 100% man the mark, but if there’s no changes it’ll be a disaster so will be interesting to see what we’ve got in store.

Loving the details update mate. Keep it up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Preseason 22-23

Remove this Banner Ad

Back