Private Internet Access vs TorGuard

Remove this Banner Ad

I have TorGuard and it's allright but pretty slow. But I've set up deluge (uTorrent equivalent on linux) to run through all the TG proxies. I only really have TG set up for when I need to use public WiFi.

I have TorGuard and it's allright but pretty slow. But I've set up deluge (uTorrent equivalent on linux) to run through all the TG proxies. I only really have TG set up for when I need to use public WiFi.

So you find Torrents are lot slower with TorGuard.

Does a Good job with Pubic WiFi?

Torrents slow down a bit but they are still pretty decent speeds. If I remove the proxies and keep running whatever torrents I have going they speed up by about 20-30% I reckon.

With Public WiFi it does what I need it to do and that is get me onto a secure connection. When it's slow it's hard to gauge whether that is the public wifi (which are usually pretty shit) or the VPN. On my home network browsing speeds are about half as fast on VPN as to when I'm not on VPN. What I really need to do with public WiFi is set up OpenVPN on my home network so I just connect through to home. That's the best way to ensure security.

This is all very anecdotal testing too. I haven't actually sat down and gone through any metrics to test it out. I'm also not 100% sure how much I believe TorGuard with their no logging policy.

I just checking these Forums out and they been lot of Help:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/87

I replied to you on whirlpool but i'll post the same reply here:

I'm testing out PIA at the moment, it seems fine so far. Browsing speeds when connected to the australian servers are not too much different to my usual speeds and torrents are not much slower.

So far PIA seems great.

I work in the networking industry and have done plenty of my own testing to ensure that it's secure when browsing and downloading torrents. :)

I'm testing out PIA at the moment, it seems fine so far. Browsing speeds when connected to the australian servers are not too much different to my usual speeds and torrents are not much slower.

So far PIA seems great.

I work in the networking industry and have done plenty of my own testing to ensure that it's secure when browsing and downloading torrents. :)

Thanks for the Info Mate.

Yeah, I read on Whirlpool and PIA does sound good Choice. Good without being to Expensive.

With being Connected to the Aussie Server it still be very safe to use for Browsing and Downloading?

Work’s on MAC Okay?

Thanks for the Info Mate.

Yeah, I read on Whirlpool and PIA does sound good Choice. Good without being to Expensive.

With being Connected to the Aussie Server it still be very safe to use for Browsing and Downloading?

Work’s on MAC Okay?

Should work fine on Mac with no issues. It's nice and fast, unlike other VPN's I have used. They have servers in Melbourne and Sydney, both are quick but I get faster speeds going through the Sydney servers as they have a faster connection compared to the Melbourne ones. You can have it running on up to 5 different computers (or phones) at once too which is nice.

If you're not sure just buy one month for 6 bucks and see if it suits you.

Should work fine on Mac with no issues. It's nice and fast, unlike other VPN's I have used. They have servers in Melbourne and Sydney, both are quick but I get faster speeds going through the Sydney servers as they have a faster connection compared to the Melbourne ones. You can have it running on up to 5 different computers (or phones) at once too which is nice.

If you're not sure just buy one month for 6 bucks and see if it suits you.

Is it safe to use the Aussie Trackers and won’t get into trouble as the Servers are in Australia?

Yeah it's secure as long as it is setup right but they have guides on their website so if you just follow them it'll be fine.

What are the Links to the Guides Mate?

On Mac/Windows pc's you should just be able to use their VPN app that you put your username and password in and it should just work for web browsing and torrenting. :) You'll only need the guides if you just want to use the VPN for torrenting and nothing else but it's trickier to setup:

https://www.privateinternetaccess.c...34/utorrent-install-instructions-proxychecker

Well I do want to use it for Torrents;) but IF it is too hard to just do it for Torrenting. I might as well just use the VPN App then.

Would your VPN Drop Much and then your normal IP Address would come out. Would that be a Problem?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well I do want to use it for Torrents;) but IF it is too hard to just do it for Torrenting. I might as well just use the VPN App then.

Would your VPN Drop Much and then your normal IP Address would come out. Would that be a Problem?

With normal vpn services yes this can be a problem. the PIA vpn software is really neat though, it lets you have a "kill switch" which basically means if it does ever drop out your internet totally stops working until you either reconnect the vpn or agree that you know that the vpn is not working.

With normal vpn services yes this can be a problem. the PIA vpn software is really neat though, it lets you have a "kill switch" which basically means if it does ever drop out your internet totally stops working until you either reconnect the vpn or agree that you know that the vpn is not working.

So the Kill Switch is a good idea to have set to happen just in case of a Drop Out but how often will it drop out because IF it does it too much to would get annoying

Nah it's straight forward, it only gets complicated if you don't want to use their app and want to use another vpn application to connect to their servers. If you just install their app on your computer its easy. Can have it running in 5 minutes.

Nah it's straight forward, it only gets complicated if you don't want to use their app and want to use another vpn application to connect to their servers. If you just install their app on your computer its easy. Can have it running in 5 minutes.

Cool - Nice to know it’s not hard to set up.

Easy as this video makes it look?:

Used PIA for a while, some people got decent speeds with them but me and several others suffered massive slowdown, in my case my speeds were 1/4 of their normal speeds. In the end they were turfed and I tried ExpressVPN for a while. I get nearly 100% of my original speeds. I can't recommend them enough. A bit pricy though, but you get what you paid for.

Used PIA for a while, some people got decent speeds with them but me and several others suffered massive slowdown, in my case my speeds were 1/4 of their normal speeds. In the end they were turfed and I tried ExpressVPN for a while. I get nearly 100% of my original speeds. I can't recommend them enough. A bit pricy though, but you get what you paid for.

I have heard some good things about Express VPN but as you say what Speeds you get could just Depened on where you live and maybe what IP Provider you have

I have heard some good things about Express VPN but as you say what Speeds you get could just Depened on where you live and maybe what IP Provider you have
True. PIA is $40 or so for a year, ExpressVPN is $90 or so. PIA lets you use up to five devices (good if you have five mates who can share costs), ExpressVPN only lets you have two (one PC/router and one mobile device). PIA is slow and (IIRC) they pass on infringement notices, ExpressVPN is quick, has plenty of servers around the world and is probably the best VPN out there for torrenting. PIA will be great when those stupid metadata laws get put to practice in two or so years.

So far PIA seems great.

Does TorGuard offer an encrypted mail client? This might be a nice point of difference for people not just worried about bandwidth.

However, from PIA website, they allow for payment using vouchers, which adds an extra layer of anonimity.

As I said elsewhere, use a VPN then onion browser, or an SSH tunneling app for an extra layer of privacy when browsing. Stick to startpage for searches. Use a secure mail client and encourage friends to do the same.

Encrypt work stuff if you work in a sensitive/ research intensive job. Truecrypt is good.

If you are set on usinf chrome or firefox, install ghostery to block unwanted cookies and trackers.

If you must torrent, sign up to a site that offers private trackers. Don't dl sitting behind a proxy.

Don't really know what the deal with VPN's are but when you sign up does it give you some kind of membership where you can use it across multiple devices or just the device you download it on? Cause I'm considering getting one but my current laptop's on its last legs, so I don't want to buy a year's worth only for the computer to die after a month.

Don't really know what the deal with VPN's are but when you sign up does it give you some kind of membership where you can use it across multiple devices or just the device you download it on? Cause I'm considering getting one but my current laptop's on its last legs, so I don't want to buy a year's worth only for the computer to die after a month.
Yeah, most give you a set number.

Just dl an app or the program and login. I think its less a fixed number of devices and more a set number of simultaeneous logins.

Remove this Banner Ad

Private Internet Access vs TorGuard

Remove this Banner Ad

Back