Pura Cup Round 5: Victoria v New South Wales @ Melbourne (Fri-Mon)

Tipping comp

• Victoria

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New South Wales

• Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

This is what pisses me off about cricket, their stupid rules

Lunch cant be taken more than 10 minutes early, so instead of taking lunch now and being back on at 1, they have to wait untill 1:30, then it says they must finish at 7? I thought all overs had to be bowled on the last day, so if the Vics get near the target, NSW can just waste time?

Blue skies and sunshine out here no more than 15 minutes after it was pouring, could play untill 9 if thats how long NSW take to bowl 90 overs, then again they probably couldnt do that as some cities dont have daylight saving so would be unfair if results were got when it would be impossible in other places...

It seems an outlandish claim, but I'm not sure there's a better slow bowler in the country atm. I've only ever seen him play district cricket and was suitably impressed with his professional and cunning approach, but the guys commentating on 774 today were in raptures about him. He would be the bloke least likely to embarrass himself at that level I would think. I love the fact that he bowls an inscrutable wrong 'un. Probably won't happen though.

Edit: Thanks for that comprehensive rundown Solareclipse. I'd be interested in a more detailed opinion from you of McGain's bowling today.

pleasure, nah had many errands to complete today (good decision, it's pouring!). McGain perhaps spent to long around the wicket but the footmarks outside the right handers left stump were making the ball go at right angles. He is not the type you can get at as well, does not bowl short that much (except for his straight one) and varies his spin.

Was just thinking today but could the slow dry wickets be a cause of the spinners in every state not developing as quickly as we want? Casson barely gets a go for NSW (after pushing hogg out of the WA state side a year ago), simpson is played as a batsman now, cullen is struggling for SA and bailey is not even sighted.

Perhaps they need to get more grass into the pitches and perhaps make them faster? Right now when the pitches do dry out they turn, but very slowly and thus the spinners either have to bowl tight long overs or get spanked out of the attack.

pleasure, nah had many errands to complete today (good decision, it's pouring!). McGain perhaps spent to long around the wicket but the footmarks outside the right handers left stump were making the ball go at right angles. He is not the type you can get at as well, does not bowl short that much (except for his straight one) and varies his spin.

Was just thinking today but could the slow dry wickets be a cause of the spinners in every state not developing as quickly as we want? Casson barely gets a go for NSW (after pushing hogg out of the WA state side a year ago), simpson is played as a batsman now, cullen is struggling for SA and bailey is not even sighted.

Perhaps they need to get more grass into the pitches and perhaps make them faster? Right now when the pitches do dry out they turn, but very slowly and thus the spinners either have to bowl tight long overs or get spanked out of the attack.

It's nothing new though. Spin has been on the outer in this country for decades, and Australia was just lucky that a once in a lifetime spinner who could turn the ball on glass came along and put spin back on the map. The reality is tho, that 99% of bowlers need favorable conditions to have an impact, and in Australia, the wickets are very rarely conducive to spin. Even the SCG is not the spinners paradise it once was.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

this why there should 5 days instead of 4

they use 5 for the final y not reg games

I thought it was 6 for the final? Anyway they should use atleast 5 for regular season games. What a shame to end a close match this way:thumbsdown:

I think the reasoning behind 4 days of play is for fixturing purposes and the logistics of moving teams and support ataff round the county.

Also 4 days of play means teams will play attacking cricket and play to win which breeds a good culture within the country.

I think the reasoning behind 4 days of play is for fixturing purposes and the logistics of moving teams and support ataff round the county.

Also 4 days of play means teams will play attacking cricket and play to win which breeds a good culture within the country.

That's a great point, but wouldn't it be good if there could be a reserve 5th day in the event of rain ruining a good match?

I like it at 4 days for this very reason.

That's a great point, but wouldn't it be good if there could be a reserve 5th day in the event of rain ruining a good match?

That's just cricket for you. Plenty of 5 day matches get ruined by rain, it's just part and parcel of the game.

Well, it looks like all the storms have cleared out to the east. Should be able to resume in about 30mins, depending on the ground conditions and when Tea is taken

Play will resume at 4:10, with 48 overs remaining in the day

Bushrangers need 292 runs from 48 overs, thats a RR of 6.08

I wonder how the pitch will play after sweating under the covers for a couple of hours. Very humid outside

If White was playing, we might've had a chance of going at 6 an over

Remove this Banner Ad

Pura Cup Round 5: Victoria v New South Wales @ Melbourne (Fri-Mon)

Back