QAFL 2024 season

Remove this Banner Ad

"Tradition V Trivia" (for anyone interested):

Round 3

Palm Beach Currumbin V Noosa

Played 13: Palm Beach 7 wins – Noosa 6 (QAFL 2011-2013, 2021-2023)
Total 35: Palm Beach 23 – Noosa 12 (Overall 2000-2013, 2021-2023)
Having first met in the AFLSQ Premier Division in Round 11 2000 when Noosa held on to win a low-scoring, triumphant by a mere two points, the two clubs have now met on 35 occasions across various Senior grades.
At QAFL-level, there have been 13 meetings, with Palm Beach successful one more clash than Noosa. Their QAFL encounters have provided only one result under 10 points, and another one over 100 points. The margins either way have generally been comfortable (the average margin across 13 games is close to 40 points).
Head-to-Head, it’s a close record, but a long, long way to travel.

Redland Victoria Point V Broadbeach
Played 37: Redland 16 – Broadbeach 20 – Draw 1 (QAFL 2000-2013, 2021-2023)
The Sharks and the Cats have only ever met at QAFL level. During that time, there have been seven games decided by a single-digit margin (which is quite a high frequency). Their most recent clash in Round 16 last year was one of those close games, decided by only nine points.
Their last seven games have been determined by a total of 74 points, so just over 10 points each time. Could be another close one this weekend. Possibly Match of the Round?

Surfers Paradise V Aspley
Played 2: Surfers Paradise 0 – Aspley 2 (QAFL 2022-2023)
Total 9: Surfers Paradise 5 – Aspley 4 (Overall 2000-2001, 2005-2008, 2022-2023)
The fluctuations of promotion and relegation! The Demons and the Hornets first met in 2000 – and over the course of all the seasons since then, they have managed to play a grand total of nine games.
None of that matters as they are both here now – and in fact, both are undefeated. This is Aspley’s first journey away from Graham Road this year.
What can we expect? At QAFL level, the only two games have resulted in two Aspley victories, one by a margin of 18 points, the other by 109 points. Prior to Surfers Paradise’s most recent promotion, the Demons held an advantage over Aspley – although the northern club has developed strongly since then. Even so, I wouldn’t be surprised to see a close game this time.

Maroochydore V Wilston Grange
Played 11: Maroochydore 6 – Wilston Grange 5 (QAFL 2011-2013, 2020-2023)
Total 21: Maroochydore 10 – Wilston Grange 11 (Overall 2005-2013, 2022-2023)
No matter which competition they have been in, this record has been close throughout their history. There is not much separating the two clubs.
There has only ever been one major hiding in these clashes. Within the QAFL comp, six of the last seven games have been decided by 33 points or less.
I actually found this game the toughest of all to tip this week. I’m still not convinced I’ve picked the right team. I guess I’ll find out on Saturday evening.

Mt Gravatt V Labrador
Played 56: Mt Gravatt 31 – Labrador 25 (QAFL 1997-2023)
It is a record of significance to observe. The Vultures and the Tigers have battled it out for 27 consecutive seasons. Both clubs have been strong, both clubs have been tested. There have been five games decided by less than 10 points – and another six that resulted in 100+ margins.
Neither team has a win so far this year, although Labrador has provided some challenging efforts. Mt Gravatt may be doing it tough at present – but with their third Home game to start the season, lets anticipate that they will battle it out to the final siren.
Here is something to cheer for: Mt Gravatt’s ninth goal will be their 800th against Labrador.

Sherwood V Morningside
Played 43: Sherwood 7 – Morningside 36 (QAFL 1983-1987, 2001-2004, 2009-2010, 2014-2023)
The longest record of any of this week’s games having begun in 1983 – and yet still only 43 games between the two clubs.
The record has definitely been one-sided. Only four games have had close margins – yet eight have resulted in triple-figure thumpings. This game is set for Powenyenna Oval – and whilst I would say that the Magpies will perform strongly in front of their home crowd, it is remarkable that it appears that only two of Sherwood’s wins over the Panthers have been on their home ground.
Arguably more so than any other recent club, Sherwood has experienced the rollercoaster existence of QAFL life. Both clubs have started the season with sufficient positives to provide optimism to their respective followers. Could this be Sherwood’s third Home win over Morningside?
(Sherwood needs 10 points to have scored 3,000 against Morningside. The Panthers’ third goal will be their 750th against the Magpies. Important stuff to know.)

Also, if anyone disagrees with any details, or has more information to share, please let me know – I want to get these records as accurate as possible.

Enjoy. :thumbsu:

My (Relatively Risk-Adverse) Tips for Round 3

Palm Beach
Redland Vic Point
Aspley
Wilston Grange
Labrador
Morningside

Thanks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

QAFL 2024 season