QAFL 2024 season

Remove this Banner Ad

"Tradition V Trivia" (for anyone interested):

This could possibly be a quick post this week (“quick” in relative terms). Whilst the games themselves hold a lot of current intrigue, historically they’re quite bare once again. Let’s see what we can find:

Round 11

Redland Victoria Point V Wilston Grange

Played 4: Redland 4 – Wilston Grange 0 (QAFL 2021-2023)
Overall 9: Redland 9 – Wilston Grange 0 (1998-1999, 2021-2023)
The experiences of all clubs take very different paths. Whilst Wilston Grange was a regularly strong performer in the QAFL, Redland was a developing club moving up through the ranks of SQAFA. The first year they met in competition was in the BAFL Division 1 in 1998 – the Gorillas were re-emerging from a difficult time that required a period of absence from playing whilst the Sharks were near impossible to stop in the BAFL. In 1998, both clubs reached the Grand Final with a massive victory enjoyed by Redland.
So it took me by surprise that in all the years, they have only met on nine occasions across all competitions – and Redland has won every game! In the four QAFL clashes, the closest margin has been 40 points.

Aspley V Surfers Paradise
Played 3: Aspley 3 – Surfers Paradise 0 (QAFL 2022-2024)
Overall 10: Aspley 5 – Surfers Paradise 5 (2000-2001, 2005-2008, 2022-2024)
Another fixture where all QAFL games have been won by one club. The margins across those three games have been interesting: in chronological order, Aspley has won by 109, 18, and 1 point.
The ledger is even across all seasons though.

Labrador V Maroochydore
Played 12: Labrador 9 – Maroochydore 3 (1998-1999, 2020-2023)
History favours the Tigers – although Maroochydore was successful in their 2021 Preliminary Final clash. Two of the games have been decided by less than 10 points, including their most recent game in Round 11 last year.

Palm Beach Currumbin V Morningside
Played 20: Palm Beach 7 – Morningside 13 (2014-2023)
A few more games to work with here – but still, not a lot.
As an established QAFL club, it is not a shock that the Panthers have enjoyed a better record. Most of the games have been decided by comfortable margins. Only a single solitary one game has ever been decided by less than 10 points.
Clutching at straws here to find something of note this week:
If Palm Beach (228 – 224 – 1592) defeats Morningside (238 – 229 – 1657) by 65 points, then the scores will be even across all their encounters.

Mt Gravatt V Noosa
Played 6: Mt Gravatt 2 – Noosa 4 (QAFL 2021-2024)
Overall 9: Mt Gravatt 3 – Noosa 6 (1993, 2021-2024)
This week, even when there is pre-QAFL history, it is quite meagre.
These two clubs first met in 1993 after the Sunshine Coast League folded, and just before Mt Gravatt were accepted into the QAFL. Each club enjoyed a victory over the other, but Noosa won an Elimination Final clash.
Here is another game where the results have never been close: the lowest winning margin is 45 points. The average winning margin has been an incredible 82.5 points.

Sherwood V Broadbeach
Played 31: Sherwood 5 – Broadbeach 26 (2001-2004, 2009-2010, 2014-2023)
A mammoth 31-game record to finish the week off. (Out of interest, does anyone know why the AFLQ has the Sherwood game at the end of the draw every week? It’s of no real consequence – but 16 times out of 18 games.)
Wow! How dominant have the Cats been in these games. Only three games have been decided by single-digit margins, the most recent being Round 4 2019 – but all three of those were won by Broadbeach. If we examine the cumulative scores of both clubs against each other, Broadbeach lead by 1,030 points (152 – 118 – 1130).
Of course, all of that means nothing this weekend now – but every one of those past games meant something at the time too (and that’s pretty much what these posts are all about).

As usual, if anyone disagrees with any details, or has more information to share, please let me know – I want to get these records as accurate as possible.

Enjoy. 🤜:boom:🤛

(Log in to remove this ad.)

22 TIPSTERS HAVE REGISTERED SO FAR THEIR TIPS FOR TOMORROW,,
iNTERESTING BELOW.

1; 12 TIP REDLAND ,, 10 tHE GRANGE
2; 11 EACH FOR PBC and MORNINGSIDE
3; 14 FOR BROADY ,,,8 FOR SHERWOOD
If I get 0 right I'll feel like I was millimetres from 6. What a round.

Just coming in from my sources a young development player from the Redlands will be making his long awaited debut against Mt Gravatt in the coming weeks at full forward. Will keep daily updates on who it is

Remove this Banner Ad

QAFL 2024 season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back