Game Day 2022 QF: Demons v Swans - 2 Sep 2022 - 7:50pm - MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

We need error free games from the likes of Stephens, McInerney, Lloyd, etc - the bottom end of the team.

Stephens in particular makes me very nervous, but we'll see.
A little harsh on Stephens I reckon. I feel more confident when he's near the ball atm than McInerney.

Gawn, Petracca, Oliver. That trio is the only part of Melbourne who worry me. If they turn it on and rip us out of the middle it'll be a blood bath. That's not to say they don't have talent elsewhere on the park but that trio is the best in the league
I remember a final we played against Geelong at the G where they conceded about 70 odd inside 50s yet we won easily. Centre dominance helps but it's not the be all and end all.

Last edited:
A little harsh on Stephens I reckon. I feel more confident when he's near the ball atm than McInerney.

I'm just not sold on Stephens at all yet. He's not a disaster and he doesn't have to be BOG every week, but every time I watch our games he ends up in the bottom 4 of our players consistently and I think he is largely ineffective week to week.

I'm just not sold on Stephens at all yet. He's not a disaster and he doesn't have to be BOG every week, but every time I watch our games he ends up in the bottom 4 of our players consistently and I think he is largely ineffective week to week.
I agree that he's not blowing me away by any means, and I don't feel like I'm watching a future star yet like I was with Blakey/Rowbottom/McInerney/Warner/Guden. But ineffective is a little harsh. His coverage of the ground to push back deep in defence and always present as an option has played a part in getting our run and carry going, which was non-existent in the first half of the year. I'd say that's just doing a role quite well without starring.

I also thought he was most definitely not in our bottom four against Adelaide and St Kilda, and was in fact in our top half a dozen in both of those games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It might be my imagination but I think Stephens becomes more influential later in games as he seems to run them out better than most players. I tend to notice him doing more in the 4th quarter and that can be a useful skill to have.

I agree that he's not blowing me away by any means, and I don't feel like I'm watching a future star yet like I was with Blakey/Rowbottom/McInerney/Warner/Guden. But ineffective is a little harsh. His coverage of the ground to push back deep in defence and always present as an option has played a part in getting our run and carry going, which was non-existent in the first half of the year. I'd say that's just doing a role quite well without starring.

I also thought he was most definitely not in our bottom four against Adelaide and St Kilda, and was in fact in our top half a dozen in both of those games.

I tend to only account for what happens with ball in hand. Without behind the goals vision I don't want to say anything about running or matchups or the like because I can't get a full picture, so my 'analysis' of Stephens is entirely on-ball.

I did have him middle of the pack in the Adelaide game which was likely his best game so far, the Saints game I didn't have time to watch unfortunately so I will take your word for it that he was better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back