Opinion Question for Victorians - Does it bother you not having a Vic team in the GF?

Does it bother you not having a Vic team in the GF?

• Yes

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • No

Votes: 139 97.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

For those Victorians old enough to remember - how did you feel when the Eagles joined the VFL in the late 80s?

And in 1992 and 94 when they won flags?

I'm not sure so many neutrals would have been barracking for them back then. Maybe that's where this myth has come from.
Was ok when they joined the comp. Was always going to be inevitable heading into the 90's.
OK as well when the Eagles won their first flag and have embraced our national comp.

I'm surprised this trope still exists. It's like the #VICBIAS meme has spilled over into interstaters assuming that Vics will only barrack for each other.
Tends to be pushed by the media - trying get everyone in a state to back whoever is in.

Most real fans are about their own club, and don't suddenly switch to their rivals

No, I have no ill or angry feelings towards it.

However, I will say that the vibe and feeling of the GF interests me much less. There is no build up in Melbourne, nobody wearing colors or talking about it. Literally have not seen one person or shop decorated in either team's colors.

The other thing is having no team to hate on. In my mind Brisbane and Sydney are neutral, and I have no good or ill feelings to either of them, so it makes the game mean nothing to me personally. If it was Hawthorn/Geelong I would be invested to enjoy Hawthorn losing. With Sydney and Brisbane I don't care who wins or loses.

I mentioned in the match preview thread these same thoughts, and I got a lot of childish replies telling me to never watch AFL again, and then banned from the thread for apparently trolling. Hopefully the same thing doesn't happen in this thread. A person should be able to state if they think a match up is boring or interesting and these my honest feelings.

Won't be watching the game because neither team interests me. Not a boycott, a whinge or anything like that. I simply have no feelings towards either team. It's the equivalent of me watching a cricket match between Bangladesh and Zimbabwe, no emotion or feeling either way. And I think this is something people don't understand about VICBIAS.. it's not that we are supporting another VIC team, but enjoying watching them lose. Most of the people watching last years Grand Final that were not Collingwood supporters weren't supporting Brisbane, but they were hoping Collingwood would lose no matter who they played.

Nope

The sooner we get rid of this misconception that Victorians barrack for their rival Victorian teams the better.

Nearly every Victorian non Geelong supporter for instance was supporting Lions last weekend as an example
Ah well, some of us might suspect as a Hawk supporter we might bat against Geelong...but I would guess that in terms of
Vic bias, there is that tiny bit of smattering of Vic against the world...we won't admit to it though ;)

I will definitely be watching it, but I find the Swans insufferable, they make the finals every season, have many benefits of being a team the AFL needs to always succeed yet they often complain that they are hard done by? Amazing levels of cognitive dissonance that North Melbourne supporters must shake their heads at. So go Brisbane but even they’ve had an amazing run, and no need to complain, this is their 6th Grand Final this century!

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Question for Victorians - Does it bother you not having a Vic team in the GF?

Back