HB: Hinge, Keane, Milera
C: Sholl, ROB, Cumming
FOL: Dawson, Rankine, Soligo
HF: Keays, Walker, Rachelle
FF: Fogarty, Thilthorpe, Pedlar

INT: Ryan, Laird, Curtin, Pick #2
SUB: Neal-Bullen

EMG: Nankervis, Murray, Berry, Jones

Nankervis and Murray are very unlucky to miss out. I think Ryan will be a good player, hopefully as soon as next season so he is pushing Nankervis out. Murray is behind Butts and Keane based on 2024 form but Murray was coming off an ACL so should improve on this year. Any of the 3 would be unlucky to miss out.

The players in bold are effectively new players in the 23 from what we had last year. 7 additions to the 23 is a huge turn over but I think it is all reasonable. Murray, Thilthorpe and Rankine are also like partial new recruits so over a third of the side will be different from this year.

I guess we would use about 33(?) players across the season so, in addition to the emergencies, I anticipate those games will come from the following group of players:
Crouch
Dowling
Cook
Edwards
Hamill
Taylor
Schoenberg
Gollant
Burgess

Squads before draft. Will put into positions once i know who we have drafted

SANFL - 18 Players
Jones
Murphy
Pedlar
Edwards
Cook
Ryan
T Murray
Bond
Smith
Schoenberg
Hamill
Berry
Strachan
Taylor
Welsh
Dowling
Rookie Pick
Rookie Pick

AFL - 24 Players
Keays
Cumming
Nean-Bullen
First Pick
Crouch
Curtin
Nankervis
Keane
Fogarty
Butts
O'Brien
Sholl
Thilthorpe
Worrell
Rachele
N Murray
Laird
Milera
Dawson
Walker
Hinge
Rankine
Soligo
Michalanney
I'm interested to see how you fit Murray, Keane, Butts and Worrell into the same backline.

My side for round 1 next year is:

FB: Worrell, Butts, Michalanney
HB: Hinge, Keane, Milera
C: Sholl, ROB, Cumming
FOL: Dawson, Rankine, Soligo
HF: Keays, Walker, Rachelle
FF: Fogarty, Thilthorpe, Pedlar

INT: Ryan, Laird, Curtin, Pick #2
SUB: Neal-Bullen

EMG: Nankervis, Murray, Berry, Jones

Nankervis and Murray are very unlucky to miss out. I think Ryan will be a good player, hopefully as soon as next season so he is pushing Nankervis out. Murray is behind Butts and Keane based on 2024 form but Murray was coming off an ACL so should improve on this year. Any of the 3 would be unlucky to miss out.

The players in bold are effectively new players in the 23 from what we had last year. 7 additions to the 23 is a huge turn over but I think it is all reasonable. Murray, Thilthorpe and Rankine are also like partial new recruits so over a third of the side will be different from this year.

I guess we would use about 33(?) players across the season so, in addition to the emergencies, I anticipate those games will come from the following group of players:
Crouch
Dowling
Cook
Edwards
Hamill
Taylor
Schoenberg
Gollant
Burgess
Probably best to swap ROB & Dawson who is not really suited to ruck.

24 players so one probably misses
Odds are 1 will be injured & if not we can look to manage them during the year to best suit opposition forward matchups. Eg. If the opposition have 2 really big forwards then Butts & Murray should play.

Also, think we can look to use Worrell & Murray in other roles too.

Best guess at Nick's preferred R1 team

B: Murphy Murphy Murphy
HB: Smith Murphy Murphy
C: Murphy Murphy Murphy
HF: Murphy Murphy Murphy
FF: Murphy Murphy Murphy

R: ROB Murphy Murphy

B: Cumming, ANB Murphy Murphy
S: Curtin

Murphy can ruck I reckon

I hope Chayce Jones gets back to his 2023 form 12 months after the Lisfranc

I hope Chayce Jones gets back to his 2023 form 12 months after the Lisfranc
That would be nice. I'm not sure which one of 2023 or 2024 was an anomaly. Hopefully 2024. He is probably behind both Sholl and Cumming for a wing position now. I wonder whether he plays wing in the SANFL or they try him in another position. Most likely that would be down back but I wouldn't mind seeing him have another crack on ball. He has all of the attributes required and is more mature than last time he played there. We all recognise that we need inside mids.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting question around Jordon Butts. Had a much improved season. Looked much freer physically.

Most of us would have Murray, Keane, Worrell as our preferred trio but I suspect the club rate Butts higher than we do. Can seeing us running with an ultra tall backline rather than making a tough call.

Another question around Laird. He will put in the most diligent preseason imaginable to try to win back his starting midfield role. Will we stick to our guns or can he win a reprieve?

Milera...? Even assuming he gets back to full fitness, where does he play? Are we content to leave him in the SANFL and field a young, inexperienced line up with unused seniority in the reserves?

ANB for Murphy seems a simple, clean upgrade. Will the club see it that way?

Brodie...? Nicks proclaimed him a big part of our future but surely that was BS. Does he read the writing on the wall and pull the pin? If we dangled a development coaching role in front of him (he already coaches with our women's team) would he retire and take it?

Interesting question around Jordon Butts. Had a much improved season. Looked much freer physically.

Most of us would have Murray, Keane, Worrell as our preferred trio but I suspect the club rate Butts higher than we do. Can seeing us running with an ultra tall backline rather than making a tough call.

Another question around Laird. He will put in the most diligent preseason imaginable to try to win back his starting midfield role. Will we stick to our guns or can he win a reprieve?

Milera...? Even assuming he gets back to full fitness, where does he play? Are we content to leave him in the SANFL and field a young, inexperienced line up with unused seniority in the reserves?

ANB for Murphy seems a simple, clean upgrade. Will the club see it that way?

Brodie...? Nicks proclaimed him a big part of our future but surely that was BS. Does he read the writing on the wall and pull the pin? If we dangled a development coaching role in front of him (he already coaches with our women's team) would he retire and take it?
Got to get Milera to 100 games for father -son !

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview R1: Changes for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back