Preview R16: Changes vs. GWS Giants

This week Riley Thilthorpe should be...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm so sick of hearing how we can't debut players unless we're 100% sure they're ready.

Would it have killed careers if a few younger guys got chances against NM or West Coast? Maybe the faster game suits them? Maybe the occasion brings more out in them?

But nah, keep working away for perfection while McHeadless and Murphy trade gold passes for 170+ games.
They have PTSD from playing McAsey, with additional flashbacks from playing Curtin.

You’re not wrong though.

His theory was to get 70 games into them as quickly as possible as thats the stage that they should be consistent.

Hasnt worked with McHenry
It has worked with McHenry.

We know he is consistently sub standard.

Part of the theory is that by 70 games you know if a player is AFL standard.

McHenry is not. Neither is Murphy.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

"We're looking short-term, long-term and
medium term."
Not sure that’s a great way to go about things.
That says to me no real strategy or planning.

Short term - we’re sticking with our set in concrete 26 come hell or high water. And as soon as Dowling has a quiet game, he'll be out for McHenry.

Medium term - don't blame us for bad results, we're developing the list for an improved 2025.

Long term - don't blame us for bad results, we're developing the list for an improved 2026 and beyond.

It has worked with McHenry.

We know he is consistently sub standard.

Part of the theory is that by 70 games you know if a player is AFL standard.

McHenry is not. Neither is Murphy.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeh I should have worded it better. His theory was a Premiership team had a good core of 70+ game players so he wanted to get the games into players quickly that would be the most likely to help us. Ned is not it. Walshy would not have wasted 70 games on him.

Yeh I should have worded it better. His theory was a Premiership team had a good core of 70+ game players so he wanted to get the games into players quickly that would be the most likely to help us. Ned is not it. Walshy would not have wasted 70 games on him.
Thats our failure in identifying who will and wont

it is beyond the pale that Murphy can continue to get a spot in this team. He has played poorly now for many weeks. He was part of a forward line that could only make 3 tackles in the last game and he is in the side to give that forward 50 pressure. He does not kick multiple goals and manages to go where the ball aint. i cannot find too many redeeming features about his play this year at all.

He has played much better in previous years but continuing to select players who are not contributing to our side currently will only result in players accepting mediocrity rather than elite standards. Its the pathway to irrelevance.

If we did this with our fitness levels Burgo would be instantly sacked.

Its hard to like our club at times.

In - Walker, Himmelberg, O’Brien, TAYLOR, Pedlar

Out - Borlase, Strachan, Murphy, Schoenberg, Berry

Thilthorpe to play managed minutes in the Twos and hopefully in next week.

On notice; Keane, Hamill, Jones, Cook.
Waiting in the wings; Thilthorpe, Curtin, Ryan.

1) Borlase unlucky but I prefer Murray, Butts and Keane as tall defenders

2) Toss up between Berry and Pedlar

3) The wet weather will favour RoB, no one will be marking the ball.

You can probably guarantee even if he asked (he wouldn't cause I don't think he even believes it) "Can I use the remaining games to get the squad ready for 2025. We won't win much more this year, but it'll give some key young players more experience in bigger roles to springboard into 2025" the answer would be "We need you to be aiming to win every week no matter what."

Now the actual results very likely end up the same, but we'll also stymy the development of some younger players in the AFL in the process.

VB said last year that ‘the best way to develop for the future is to win this week’. He's not an outsider or a loon, this is ingrained club philosophy. There isn't anything worthy of consideration that isn't the 4 points on offer this week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rowie has already talked about 1, saying how List Management had no real desire to recontract Jimmy but Nicks kept playing him anyway. Says we're doing the same again with guys like McHenry.

We did it with Douglas before forcibly retiring him. It's ingrained club philosophy, they just continue to employ coaches that align with it.

Agree with all of these.

Great changes, and if we were playing a lesser side I'd probably have Curtin in on a HBF (NOT KPD). This week though playing him might do more harm than good, was foolish not to play him vs Hawks & Tigers imo (even though we sucked in both games and got beaten)

In reality it'll be Walker, ROB & Hberg in, Borlase, Strachan & Sberg out or something similar. And we'll be too tall in the wet. They won't have even considered playing Taylor, 'hes got a few things to work on'

Just over 2 hours to definite melts!!
Happy Shaquille O Neal GIF by Papa Johns

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview R16: Changes vs. GWS Giants

Back