AFL Autopsy R8: 5 point loss to the Powa

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought this was going to be a decent loss. Port probably almost kicked themselves out of it, but I didn’t think we ever gave in. See some good signs for the future with Wright, Laverde, Ridley to come back, and maybe a couple of others pushing their way in like Tatsas etc.

s**t choice not bringing a key back in
Who?

Reid only just returned from a back injury and is a blue chip long term prospect.

I frankly am thrilled we seem to have learned not to make a short sighted decision when rushing players back.

Stewart is injured, Hayes young and Montgomerie only 190cm. Maybe Jones back or Baldwin?

Who?

Reid only just returned from a back injury and is a blue chip long term prospect.

I frankly am thrilled we seem to have learned not to make a short sighted decision when rushing players back.

Stewart is injured, Hayes young and Montgomerie only 190cm. Maybe Jones back or Baldwin?
Do you think Stewart is coming back at all?

Draper needs another pre-season and needs to spend it running. Went missing in the middle of the game. No coincidence that when he reemerged we started controlling again.

It’s going to take significant time remembering he’s probably played less than 100 games of footy total, at any level.

Very much a talisman for us though deserves credit for picking himself up off the canvas and going again when it looked like an 8 goal defeat, and dragging everyone along with him.

Note for practice next week Braddles - ******* HANDBALLS
Why were we so slick by hand even under pressure against Melbourne - since then a fair bit of fumbling, not handballing, tapping to advantage etc.

As Kelvin mentioned we were poor at competing in the air. So many times even their smaller players marked when we should have neutralised or our guys watching on as their player would come through and mark. We looked out of legs quite early or they just tightened up.

We've been full of excuses for the last 20 years. I'm sick of excuses.
Steve Coogan Shrug GIF

Merrett and Langford were the two clean players today. Draper and Phillips competed well and gave us momentum at time's.

Rest were poor. I didn't like Parish game today. I'm a big fan but today wasn't great.

Jake Kelly has no footy IQ.

Davey is currently nowhere near it.

How we give up so many uncontested marks beggars belief. We lack marking kids, marking mid sized guys all over

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His last shot on goal aside, I think we can stop with the Phillips getting games because he's a ruckman expierement now. 4 marks and 9 disposals isn't the output we need from someone his size. It worked once against Gold Coast and hasn't had the same impact since.

On the game, once Ridley went down we were in trouble, Zerk isn't the guy to lead the backline (don't think he's the guy for our future either but that's another topic all together)

All in all, Port kick accurately and we lose by 5-6 goals
He's not getting games simply because he's a ruckman. He's getting them because we have no marking power.

Now, we have no Wright or Jones pushing up to the wings, no Cox on the wings or through the middle, no Ridley or Laverde at the back. It doesn't help that Draper isn't taking marks either and Phillips is dropping sitters. Seems counter-intuitive to say, but thank goodness Heppell has solid dukes when he can get to a contest.

While all those talls are out, Phillips will be getting games unless Bryan pushes him out, which hasn't looked likely.

It’s going to take significant time remembering he’s probably played less than 100 games of footy total, at any level.

Very much a talisman for us though deserves credit for picking himself up off the canvas and going again when it looked like an 8 goal defeat, and dragging everyone along with him.
Definitely. But does need to improve his stamina.

We make it hard for ourselves with the amount of turnovers.

Marks around the ground still massive problem too.

Must bring in a Baldwin or Reid IMO.

Menzie just is not ready. Snelling for Davey too.
And the "bomb into the forward half out of defence to the other side" is still our fall back position. So all things considered, we're better than we were but still working out a lot of entrenched habits

Probably not but that only further supports what I’m saying. Who could have we brought in as a key defender for this game that would have made a difference?
I agree with you. I had just forgotten that Stewart was still on the list and an option for us.

Lol, losing to one of the flag favourites by a kick interstate and it's excuses.

Real supporters blame 2 decades on a bloke in charge for a few months.
Port are not one of the flag favourites. They'll make the 8 that's about it. And where did I blame Scott?

We've been full of excuses for the last 20 years. I'm sick of excuses.
So you expect the same team we had last year to do a sudden turn around and start beating top 8 sides?

As others have said I’m glad it wasn’t a thrashing. Looks like we have a better system in place and we‘ll slowly get better… but it won’t happen overnight.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Autopsy R8: 5 point loss to the Powa

Remove this Banner Ad

Back