Autopsy Rd 1 - We Flog Brisbane, But at What Cost

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah Sharp absolutely flushed a couple of 50-60 metre kicks, the equivalent to 3 Liam Henry kicks. And he has serious wheels. Once he gets confidence in his game and what he is expected to do with our style, he'll be a gun running up and down Optus.

This and our guys realising he’ll likely be free out wide somewhere and looking to pass it out to him.
He’ll start racking up more and more possessions over the next few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yeah Sharp absolutely flushed a couple of 50-60 metre kicks, the equivalent to 3 Liam Henry kicks. And he has serious wheels. Once he gets confidence in his game and what he is expected to do with our style, he'll be a gun running up and down Optus.
He will improve even more when the players start looking for him more. A number of times he was free out wide and the kicker either didn’t see him or ignored him ( easy for me to see him from my seat than on the ground of course). I think he has “Freddy” long goal capacity too.

Midfield looks big again. Serong and Andy have really grown into their bodies. Youngie prob another preseason away from being a physical specimen too.

i dont like about amiss doesnt snap around the body on those tight angles. Walters showed how its done. Though who am I to tell Jye how to kick for goal.

Is that you Meima!!

Pav was still talking up Brisbane's chances of winning with 4 mins left down 5 goals.

The great man does his best to not be seen as bias he actually goes to the other extreme during his commentary.

Whenever the other side is looking like getting a roll on he is always quick to talk them up and talk down our boys.
Yeah I agree but I also think it looks more ridiculous when commentators have a bias to te teams they played for. To an extent I think Pav's aware of that danger so he over corrects like you say.

Incidentally guys - I went to the game yesterday and the first 20 minutes of the first quarter sucked. But from that time you could see the team fixing up structures and composing themselves, and for the last 10 minutes of the first quarter we were competing and starting to turn the screws beginning from stoppage play. Had no doubt we would win the game from that point onwards, watching the way we applied pressure around the ground. Brisbane were at sea, and the only thing that allowed them back in were our injuries and needing to adjust on the fly

I point this out because the amount of gnashing of teeth in the early posts on the game day thread show how fragile some supporters can be. One swallow doesn't make a summer ;) We aren't as bad as people seem to want to believe we are, and we aren't top 4 good yet either. But asking for JLo to be fired after 20 minutes of one game when our opposition is coming off a loss, and had a sighter of game day pressure is a bit rich :p

That and no junk time goals at the end of every qtr was pleasing. Finally starting to click. Loved the connection with Treacy and Amiss up forward too. Freddy had a great day. Pearce was immense. Luke Ryan also, undersung for mine. Sharp had a great debut. Bring on Cooper next week JL.
Luke Ryan VERY unsung. I specifically watched him for a chunk in the 2nd half when he was cramping up and was belting it down the line and the ball kept coming back to his area and you could see he was battling that cramp but still had to be accountable and still pulled out a sprint to try and smother. I battle cramp a lot and could not fathom doing that lol.

Questions I have from this game
1) How good could Worner be? Can he get to an Aish level best 22 in more sides type player without being a gun? Lets wipe off that Port preseason game as it was clearly irrelevant, he was very good all preseason and is clearly valued by the match committee and seems to have someone gotten faster and a better kick since he was drafted with what must be a fantastic work rate.
2) Without having facts to back this up, I would swear all of Treacy's best games are as a fwd/ruck. The rucking seems to get him a feel for the game. If he continues to build, how do we play it next year if we get McDonald (which we are clearly trying to do)?
3) How good can Fyfe be if he stays fit? Unreal ability to absorb and dish yesterday, literally would not pass it unless his player committed to tackle him and it made us so so much better
4) Can Pearce finally get that AA spot we've all known he was capable of? Said it all preseason he was back and it looks like the big fella is well and truly ready to be an absolute wall again

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. He already has the body of an AFL player. I think he is bigger than Wagner? Could be the trencher-man type we need running in defence. Just needs more exposure at the top level.
2. Yes him rucking gets him more involved. You can see he loves the challenge. He could even become the big-body swingman we could throw anywhere when required.
3. The commentators just call him Fyfe With-Strength now. He was so important yesterday. Could be the difference in getting to and winning in September.
4. Pearce has his confidence back and he is showing everyone why he should be captain. A true leader on and off the field. He saved our asses in that diabolical first quarter and turned the game.

Loved our game after the first 15 minutes of the first quarter. Best part being the spread of players doing well. Also our attack on the ball and players giving options to the ball carrier which made us more unpredictable and harder to counter. One thing I was bemused about though was the last Brisbane goal by Bailey, how far did he run without bouncing the ball before he kicked the goal?

1) How good could Worner be? Can he get to an Aish level best 22 in more sides type player without being a gun? Lets wipe off that Port preseason game as it was clearly irrelevant, he was very good all preseason and is clearly valued by the match committee and seems to have someone gotten faster and a better kick since he was drafted with what must be a fantastic work rate.
2) Without having facts to back this up, I would swear all of Treacy's best games are as a fwd/ruck. The rucking seems to get him a feel for the game. If he continues to build, how do we play it next year if we get McDonald (which we are clearly trying to do)?
3) How good can Fyfe be if he stays fit? Unreal ability to absorb and dish yesterday, literally would not pass it unless his player committed to tackle him and it made us so so much better
4) Can Pearce finally get that AA spot we've all known he was capable of? Said it all preseason he was back and it looks like the big fella is well and truly ready to be an absolute wall again
1. always been a fan of worner, people writing him off after two games were ridic
2. get treacy at that tomahawk level fwd 50 throw in beast please
3. was great, still maybe bit a bit too much than he can chew but shows how valuable he still is to us - also was so close to taking a classic fyfe mark up forward at one point
4. unreal his performance compared to most of last year, what a massive differnece that will make to our season - very happy for him!

Loved our game after the first 15 minutes of the first quarter. Best part being the spread of players doing well. Also our attack on the ball and players giving options to the ball carrier which made us more unpredictable and harder to counter. One thing I was bemused about though was the last Brisbane goal by Bailey, how far did he run without bouncing the ball before he kicked the goal?

My calculations are minimum of 23 metres based on the 9m cuts of grass.

It's a real annoyance of mine. The umpires are incompetent when it comes to measuring distances. The amount of 10m kicks paid as marks is terrible. They also usually get the 50m penalties way wrong.

There was a game against the Bulldogs a few years ago when the guy kicking out from a point ran all the way to the 50m arc without bouncing the ball (while zig zagging and dodging people) and no whistle. The Carlton-Brisbane final, I think the first goal (?) was a Carlton player gathering at the 50m and running to the goal line with one bounce. It's not good enough and something needs to be done about it.

1. Looked comfortable at the level, as I said in another thread was the most pleasant surprise of the team for me, credit to the coaches who obviously have now given him the belief he belongs at this level. Cruel to see him concussed like that when it really was a breakout game until then.
2. His draft notes said he may have the potential to turn into a big midfielder. He has a lot of tools for that except his tank, which he may never be able to build to that level. I'm in the don't chase McDonald with multiple first rounders anyway, so I justhope Treacy keeps doing what he's doing
3. I'm just glad to see Fyfe enjoying his footy again, he has been miserable for years. He owes us nothing
4. Played a very good game, but nope

I certainly wouldn’t rule out Sturt on that back on that one scratchy 2 weeks ago, like I’ve seen some commentary on.

Yes he was poor but (a) he is still recovering from a meniscus knee injury, something notoriously hard to get over quickly, and (b) he was not the only bad performer that day. Josh Treacy was, quite frankly, hideous in that game too, equally as bad as Sturt but he was superb last night. Career best stuff from JT.
I’ve seen enough from Sturt in the back half of last season to show he has a knack for kicking goals at his best, that we don’t have very much of.
We won’t dominate out of the centre like yesteray in every game. When we are only breaking even with the good midfields, we need clinical forwards to convert the limited chances they will get.

Fyfe is critical to the midfield too. He frees up Serong and Brayshaw to spread so well. It’s a perfect mix really.

The problem with Sturt is his “intensity”. I have always hoped he could become another Bailey Fritzch (same height and weight), but he just doesn’t go hard enough. If you remember it was “intensity” that JLo said he had to focus on last year before coming into the side. Hopefully he can pick it up and push his way into the side

I think a lot of people over rate Johnson on this board and after keeping tabs on him he seems to over rate himself also.
Really hope his talent level can catch up to his belief in himself.
In fairness to Matthew, there’s a lot being asked of him. At various times yesterday he was winger, backman and standing at Full Forward to cover holes due to injury. He looked a bit stressed but its understandable.

My favourite bit: sometime in the third, a high kick into the F50 pocket with a pack underneath, Treacy at the back with Amiss in front and a cluster of other players (mostly Lions). Treacy gives Amiss a good ol' shove in the back, who thereby pushes the whole pack forward, leaving Treacy free grab at the ball.

That's f**king GENIUS! We should be coaching this as a standard pack mark set up. Umps can't pay a free against pushing our own players in the back.
#CoachTreacy

Who knows. By the end of his career, that may be his path. Seems to communicate and point a lot, but then again, I see lots of our guys doing that at different times.
I do recall Josh being one of the loudest at the sessions tho.

A couple of random things. Others have mentioned most of what I saw. I'll just add:

-Liked Sharp's game. Looked....sharp (oh dear). Really liked his last line of defense mark and pumping the ball into our 50 (8 I50s). Runs hard. Much better kick than I was led to believe. Bloody strange the Suns let him walk to us for free.

-Walters's run - chase - tackle game was outstanding.

-Treacy is a much better 2nd ruck than I thought. Happy to put my hand up and say I got that wrong.

-Jordy Clark handed Charlie Cameron a new one defensively and racked up 24 himself. Brillo

Sharp had the highest distance covered in the game and the most sprints (29, 2nd & 3rd most were Clark and Brayshaw with 18 & 17) so a lot of unrewarded running as well

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Rd 1 - We Flog Brisbane, But at What Cost

Remove this Banner Ad

Back