Preview Rd 11 Geelong V GWS Sat 25th May 2024 434 pm @ KP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
For what it's worth.

These were the coaches votes for round 8 in the VFL and the VFL overall leaderboard.

Coburg 10.6 (66) def by Geelong Cats 13.10 (88)
Mitch Hardie (GEE)
6 Lawson Humphries (GEE)
6 Shaun Mannagh (GEE)
4 Flynn Gentile (COB)
2 Joel Trudgeon (COB)
1 Josh D'Intinosante (COB)
1 Donovan Toohey (COB)

LEADERBOARD​

42 Mitch Hardie (GEE)
41 Dom Brew (WER)
36 Jacob Dawson (SOU)
32 Boyd Woodcock (SOU)
29 Callum Brown (BHH)
28 Will Fordham (WIL)
28 Jarryd Lyons (BL)
28 Thomas Murphy (FRA)
27 Riley Collier-Dawkins (WIL)
26 Ned Long (COL)
26 Luke Parks (WIL)
26 Callum Porter (BHH)

If he ever gets a game and does ok - id love him to say something along the lines of - the hardest 2 things about playing AFL - are getting on a clubs list - and then having your senior coach actually give you a game

Parfitt , underwhelming - ditto Clark - and Bruhn was woefull in his last game - where Geel needed someone to stand up

Bowes has i think been quite good , Mullin is a work in Progress , hes got that pace , but Parfitt , Clark and Bruhn should be in the 2nds , the 3 of them are 5ft 10inch , borderline slow , and ordinary kicks - nothing at all to get excited about

I'm excited about what Bruhn and Clark will both bring in the next few years.

I agree. I also think we're seeing the reality of the club now seeking to find answers to the midfield woes that could last for the really long term. That's part of the reason why I think Clark is being continually preferred to Hardie. Not simply because they believe Jhye's ceiling is higher, but also because he has many, many years of firsts football in front of him if he makes it. Hardie could only ever be a solution for half as long as Clark. So even if the output at VFL level (statistically, at least) appears commensurate, I think the #13 is going to get plenty of chances to prove his worth before they go with a player providing supposedly comparable output who is nearly seven years older.

It's also why I could genuinely see my boy Ted getting a senior call-up again before they look to pick Hardie instead. We'll see, I guess.
Hardie is 26 isn't he?
He is hardly an old man.
We have a history of getting older guys into it and doing well.
What is the harm in giving him a shot?
If he kills it great.
If he doesn't it's not the end of the season is it?

Call out to Heckler for the formatting.

I'm excited about what Bruhn and Clark will both bring in the next few years.

How many years has Bruhn played AFL ?

I think he was entitled to play a hell of alot better against Gold Coast - Geel had an undermanned midfield , Danger not their , Cam not right yet - and Bruhn did nothing

Alot of posters here - (who rave and got blue sky optimism with blokes like Parfitt Bruhn and Clark ), if Geel ever get a Chris Judd or Harley Reid type then honestly they will need a Pacemaker inserted to contain/manage their excitement levels on a day to day basis

I think he was entitled to play a hell of alot better against Gold Coast - Geel had an undermanned midfield , Danger not their , Cam not right yet - and Bruhn did nothing

Alot of posters here - (who rave and got blue sky optimism with blokes like Parfitt Bruhn and Clark ), if Geel ever get a Chris Judd or Harley Reid type then honestly they will need a Pacemaker inserted to contain/manage their excitement levels on a day to day basis
It’ll be no different to when Danger first came

Hardie is 26 isn't he?
He is hardly an old man.
We have a history of getting older guys into it and doing well.
What is the harm in giving him a shot?
If he kills it great.
If he doesn't it's not the end of the season is it?

Call out to Heckler for the formatting.
I'm neither an advocate for Hardie or a wet blanket on what he can bring. Just pointing out what I see as the rationale for why he's not seemingly all that close to getting a game in the seniors. There's certainly no harm in giving him a shot. But it's apparent that the M.C. still believes that there are preferable alternatives to try to resolve our midfield woes at this point.

The only part of the Hardie narrative that has really confounded me is the idea that the club hasn't treated him well. We gave him an opportunity to be on an AFL list, at a time when he probably thought the chance had passed him by. We've exposed him to the highest level of training and preparation for football that anyone could hope to experience. And we kept him on the list for this year, when other players in his situation have been cut by their clubs after only a few months.

So if he earns a game (or six) in the eyes of those in the know at the club, I'm fine with that. I just don't have any time for the idea that the club owes it to him to give him senior games, simply by virtue of him being on the list. The club might owe it to themselves to see what he can produce in the firsts, I admit. But as for being near enough to morally bound to play him (having already afforded him an incredible opportunity by bringing him into the AFL system in the first place), I can't see that at all.

Long way to go for Mitch, of course. But even if he gets no games with us and is delisted at the end of the season, he'll be front of mind for many list managers across the comp now if they're looking to take their chances on a mature-aged mid recruit for next year. That doesn't happen half as easily for him if he's not firstly on the list at Geelong. So the way I see it, he is much more in the debt of the GFC than vice versa.

And I genuinely wish him all the best in his quest to make it in the AFL.

Last edited:
Sullivan, Mannagh and O’Connor the emergency’s

Glad Rohan isn’t playing, I know they play completely different football but Henry and Rohan cannot play in the same forward line

Parfitt stiff to be our first omission in a while, there’s a few other heads I’d be looking at first if it were me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Guthrie being injured (sadly) makes sense. But it still hurts.

When your midfield is this 'meh', you genuinely need your two best options in there up and going. We've had at least one (and often both) of them sitting out every game bar one this season.

Horrendous.

We bring back 2xKPF, 1xKPD and 1 half backer (that's where Duncan has played for much of the year), while we drop two mids and have another out injured.

Looks unbalanced to me and suggests there's a late change coming.

We bring back 2xKPF, 1xKPD and 1 half backer (that's where Duncan has played for much of the year), while we drop two mids and have another out injured.

Looks unbalanced to me.

Yep, similar to resting Bowes v Port. Just a couple of mids short.

On a positive note I will be staggered if Holmes doesn't play predominately mid.

Geelong takes on GWS Giants this Saturday at GMHBA Stadium, with first bounce at 4.35pm. Tickets are available through Ticketmaster, or you can sign up to be One in Hoops and become a Cats Member today.

For further match details, click here.

Round 11

Geelong Cats v GWS Giants
GMHBA Stadium, Geelong – Wadawurrung
4.35pm AEST Saturday 25 May

In: Tom Hawkins, Mitch Duncan, Jeremy Cameron, Sam De Koning
Out: Brandan Parfitt (omitted), Cameron Guthrie (injured), Mark O'Connor (omitted), Gary Rohan (adductor)
Milestone: Tom Hawkins 356 - breaks record for most games played at Geelong

Backs39. Zach Guthrie38. Jack Henry8. Jake Kolodjashnij
Half Backs44. Tom Stewart9. Max Holmes16. Sam De Koning
Centreline28. Ollie Dempsey4. Tanner Bruhn2. Zach Tuohy
Half Forwards18. Tyson Stengle45. Brad Close32. Gryan Miers
Forwards33. Shannon Neale26. Tom Hawkins5. Jeremy Cameron
Followers6. Toby Conway46. Mark Blicavs22. Mitch Duncan
Interchange34. Oisin Mullin12. Jack Bowes30. Tom Atkins
36. Ollie Henry13. Jhye Clark
Emergencies14. Connor O'Sullivan7. Shaun Mannagh42. Mark O'Connor

Drafted 5 years ago, started playing a year later.

So this is his 4th year, played 57 games, just 22 years old, and according to the GFC's website, is above average for clearances and tackles.

Bruhn was returning from injury in the last game, and it seems bizarre to single him out as 'doing nothing' when there were about 20 others who did no more than he.

Anyhow, I'm happy to watch him going forward, and hope he gets the encouragement he deserves to continue his trajectory.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back