Review Rd 15 Review - Freo Get Back on Track Over the Dons

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m just watching the game now.

Henry’s game strikes me as competent and neat, rather than great as such.
He got to the right spots, generally used the ball ok, but there’s a lot of small nothing kicks,

But on the Liam Henry scale that was a step forward.
Jackson, Amiss
Serong, Brayshaw all had fantastic games with more impact.

Alex Pearce belted 2 MeterPeter
Weideman must absolutely dislike Optus stadium.
Last season 1 disposal for Melbourne. Last night 8 disposals for Essendon.
Yikes

Liam had a decent game. I’m not sure the raving is warranted though.

Martin was pretty good
Henry noticeably took the conservative/safe option generally, and hit almost all of his targets. In the past he has often tried for more aggressive kicks and stuffed it, so this may well have been an intentional focus? It does mean he wasn't super damaging with his touches but hopefully a great game for his confidence, and as he builds he will take on the game a bit more👍

Also still needs to up his defensive intensity, but maybe the tank is still developing.

His best game so far anyway.

Henry noticeably took the conservative/safe option generally, and hit almost all of his targets. In the past he has often tried for more aggressive kicks and stuffed it, so this may well have been an intentional focus? It does mean he wasn't super damaging with his touches but hopefully a great game for his confidence, and as he builds he will take on the game a bit more👍

Also still needs to up his defensive intensity, but maybe the tank is still developing.

His best game so far anyway.
Yeh agree. His disposals after he got the ball wasn't overall damaging, as he did kick it backwards a bit or chipped it.
Was more encouraging the way he got it. Would be interesting if he does get closer attention and how he handles it

Does Hughes keep his spot once Chapman has played a game for Peel in a week or two?
I reckon he does. I think they’ll want to give chaps a decent run before he comes in anyway.

out of todays team you’d think Ras is 1st out, then I’m not sure who’s next. Chances are there will be an injury before both Aish and Chappy are available so decision will make itself.

oh, and Ras would take sub from Sturt.

Yeh agree. His disposals after he got the ball wasn't overall damaging, as he did kick it backwards a bit or chipped it.
Was more encouraging the way he got it. Would be interesting if he does get closer attention and how he handles it
I took that as a sign of maturity and calmness when he had ball in hand, he didn’t just blaze away forward.

he did kick back inside a few times - and failed on at least 1 of them but that’s ok when we were clearly trying to take the game on.

Henry's game stands out purely because it was his first consistent game and he got a lot of the footy. It's encouraging the supporter base has boosted him up and will work well for his confidence.

For me it could be ego or logic but if the vast majority of our top draft picks become bonafide-22 it'll make up for a lot of the trade garbage that went on 2015-2019.

Brayshaw, Serong, Amiss and Young are already there. Chapman, Johnson and Erasmus will be. Henry's the missing piece, and Sturt would be a bonus.

I’m just watching the game now.

Henry’s game strikes me as competent and neat, rather than great as such.
He got to the right spots, generally used the ball ok, but there’s a lot of small nothing kicks,

But on the Liam Henry scale that was a step forward.
Jackson, Amiss
Serong, Brayshaw all had fantastic games with more impact.

Alex Pearce belted 2 MeterPeter
Is that a back handed compliment.Or an almost admission that the kid can play?
What more do you want from him?
He had a very very good game.Yes , we have waited for games like that to come, but why not just say, gee the kid played well.
Name me one player that did perfect foot disposal last nigght. Have a look at Fyfe's disposal by foot.

He had a very very good game.Yes , we have waited for games like that to come, but why not just say, gee the kid played well.
Name me one player that did perfect foot disposal last nigght. Have a look at Fyfe's disposal by foot.

You need to be less sensitive.

It was a good solid game, with few mistakes and some smart play but he was hardly breaking the game open was he?

Oof. Let's talk about Fyfe's kicking.

The goal kicking has been bad enough over the last couple of years, but now he can't even field kick a pass between the arcs.

That foot of his must be absolutely knacked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Name me a player that didn't make mistakes last night. Fyfes kicking was average at the most.

Jesus. I said few mistakes, as in he hardly made any…

One turnover which cost a goal. That was it.

Otherwise he was busy, clean and accumulating but could be more damaging.

It’s not a slight, I liked his game, had him in the top 7 or 8.

Oof. Let's talk about Fyfe's kicking.

The goal kicking has been bad enough over the last couple of years, but now he can't even field kick a pass between the arcs.

That foot of his must be absolutely knacked.
I have the greatest respect for Fyfe, always have, but his kicking has always been ordinary.
Just trying to point out that most players burn the ball a lot during games.
It appears that Henry is the kicking boy right now.
Yes we have waited for him to perfom, but he is not the only one.How much does it hurt to just say, the kid played a very good game.

I have the greatest respect for Fyfe, always have, but his kicking has always been ordinary.
Just trying to point out that most players burn the ball a lot during games.
It appears that Henry is the kicking boy right now.
Yes we have waited for him to perfom, but he is not the only one.How much does it hurt to just say, the kid played a very good game.
I know Nats kicking has always been his achilles heel (pun intended) but it just seemed much more noticable last night. It was beyond average. I could of kicked it better (that's an idiom too guys, I'm not literally suggesting I can kick a football better than a 2 time brownlow medalist)

hughes has been 10x better than chappy this season, more impactful than aish as well. he’s locked best 22

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We’ll discuss the Chappy inclusion, when he shows that he’s 100% cherry ripe. Get some good games in at Peel.

Hughes has the score on the board at the moment.

Just going to put this out there but take anything the Herald Sun reports with a massive dose of salt. Particularly something as private as someone’s income.
Yep. HUN is printed for its Melbourne readers, so you can add 10-20% to the interstate players so that their target audience don't riot.

It's probably not completely off, but massive dose of salt it spot on.

Darcy and Fyfe should swap spots next year. Watch the HUN say we signed him for 8 mill over 6 seasons or something ridiculous.

Henry isn't particularly quick or have the longest kick but gotta say he's extremely agile in tight spaces.

You need to be less sensitive.

It was a good solid game, with few mistakes and some smart play but he was hardly breaking the game open was he?
Actually, that's exactly what he was doing. He could even get Brownlow votes from yesterday.

If I was to hazard a guess I'll go with:
3: Ryan
2: Serong
1: Merrett/Henry

Jackson should get 3, but ruckmen have a horrid time polling since Stynes/Wynd went back to back in 91/92

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Rd 15 Review - Freo Get Back on Track Over the Dons

Remove this Banner Ad

Back