Preview RD 16 Geelong v Essendon Sat Jun 29 730pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I knew before now that Humphries could kick pretty well with both feet, but watching these highlights it seems he preferences the left from kick/mark type play, but when on the run he goes with the right foot

Be interesting to see if that holds true on Saturday night or it's just the way these highlights have been put together

I think he said something in an interview about getting slightly more distance on his left. There was a reason but I forget why

CS said in his presser that the coaching staff have been very happy with the role Knevitt has been asked to play in the VFL. He's been playing on the ball, not on a wing, so I think we'll likely see him in there this weekend. At least I hope we do.
I didn’t want to seem greedy!! I would love to see him in some centre bounces but will equally be excited to see him start on the ground on the wing…would love a statement with him, dempsey, max, SDK, Humphries all on to start the game

I would agree. He was totally unprepared for it - given he's never played ruck and has not been coached to do it.
Im sure there is a mindset for all athletes but that can also differ by their roles and positions.

And he got better in the second half.... but im still amazed at the depth of vitriol headed in his direction

GO Catters
How do you know he hasn't been coached to do it? Pretty sure GFC wouldnt send him to ruck if they hadnt worked on it at training with him.

Not necessarily

It was part of the draft night trade with Essendon - they wanted our pick 10 for their pick 11, which then likely saw Mackie & Wells ask what else they'd throw in

With our 2 picks in the 30s, we went with Edwards first which would suggest he was the player we were most after that that stage, and Mannagh was still available with the next pick we had - it's not like we traded in that pick just prior to selecting Mannagh
Also Edwards was in the Freo Academy so if Geelong, or any other club, wanted him he would have to have been taken prior to pick 40….Edwards was tipped to go late first/early second so I imagine Geelong would have been fairly happy to get him where they did.

So just clicked that the outcome of this game is huge in terms of ladder position.

A decent win combined with Gold Coast staying undefeated with a decent win means Cats could end up 4th at the end of the round!! But a decent loss and Cats could end up 12th. That is an amazing spread of outcomes for round 15

on paper Goldstein will monster us and Draper is aggressive so it looks very ugly. Maybe we are banking on it being wet and going the two more mobile talks.
I reckon reasonable chance they have a late out if wet? If not I think they will might find themselves too tall

Nah surely it's not that bad? Where is the idea coming from that he is unhappy?

Body language between him and the players and coaches is fairly obvious if you watch the vfl games.

Tbh I think Pure_Ownage is the one that is unhappy. Yet to hear Mannagh speak on it

Hes not going to speak until end of season (no one sensible would) but the lack of any positive interaction between him and teammates plus some of the coaches stuff (him and lappin after he kicked the goal in q4 on the weekend was interesting) stands out. It suggests issues behind the scenes (him not being picked suggests a bit but that suggests more also).

Hes not going to speak until end of season (no one sensible would) but the lack of any positive interaction between him and teammates plus some of the coaches stuff (him and lappin after he kicked the goal in q4 on the weekend was interesting) stands out. It suggests issues behind the scenes (him not being picked suggests a bit but that suggests more also).
You don't think you're reading a bit much into it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just think it's pretty simple. He's a small forward and we already have small forwards playing at the level. I'd "manage" close for a week to see him go again in the foward line.

Closes form is another issue.

But mannagh is not a small forward.

Since our last meeting. We're definitely worse this time around. Would say the Bombers are better.

GEELONG OUTS: Hawkins, Smith, Bruhn, Stanley, O. Henry, Mullin
GEELONG INS: Humphries, Tuohy, Dempsey, Neale, Clark, Knevitt

ESSENDON OUTS: Parish, Bryan, Zerk-Thatcher, Hobbs, Snelling, Menzie, Weideman
ESSENDON INS: Jones, Duursma, McKay, Goldstein, Draper, Gresham, Cox

What form? Mannagh hasn't set the VFL alight. Knevitt, Humphries, Clohesy, Hardie, Conway are all well ahead of him on form. He played deep forward on the weekend and had almost no impact. Others, myself included, have said he's looked good when injected into the midfield, but clearly the club wants him in a different role. On current form he doesn't deserve a promotion.

I think he does, but we're riding different horses, so we'll leave it at that.

You said he played midfield on the last quarter against Port and tore it apart. I went back and watched that quarter specifically for it and want my 30 minutes back

Mannagh went into the guts in the last quarter, but it may be debatable as too the results - there looked some good & some not so good

His first involvment after going into the middle was a clearance where he kicked straight into an opponent 😂

But that switch did look to spark something in him - wouldn't be surprised if we saw him in the midfield rotation a bit more this round

Scott said something interesting in his press conference when asked about Humphries, and I wonder if it potentially relates to the Mannagh situation also:

"So I guess the learning curve for every young player is coming into a team that they've never played in before and getting a feel for his teammates.

I don't think he'll have, I'm sure he won't have any trouble with our system structurally. He's led that as well as anyone at VFL level."

---

We know Mannagh played the first couple of matches in the seniors before a return to the VFL - but maybe there's been some teething issues with how he fits into our system, with adjustment needed from both parties as to how we utilise him

Can only hope that while he hasn't had the senior opportunities that some would have liked to see him have, that there's been an open line of discussion regarding the situation

I agree with others that Conway should be in the side. But we’ve also been at our best this year when Blicavs has been in the ruck, so I can see why they’re trying something different.

Dekoning has had a really poor season well two actually and he seems allergic to the gym so it’s good coaching to try and get him into the game.

Blicavs has also been poor when playing as a mid but energised the team when he’s moved into the ruck.
There’s just a lot of pieces not working and the coaches are trying to find the right levers to pull to make it come together. It’s frustrating no doubt as it feels like we’ve gone back a few years to when he felt like we lost some games at selection.

The positive was that Dekoning was able to work his way into the game so some exposure there over a couple of weeks could really help his confidence no matter where he ends up playing.
With Hawkins out he’d be a good option up forward and o thought he should’ve gone there last week when Hawkins went off. Switching with Neale between ruck and forward alongside Blicavs would really test the running of the bombers rucks.

Body language between him and the players and coaches is fairly obvious if you watch the vfl games.
I’ve wanted Mannagh in the side all year as well, but if that’s true then that’s a poor reflection of him.
While Hardie and Mannagh have not had any/many chances that’s pretty rare, if you play your role at Geelong you’ll get your chance.
If there is poor body language and discontent from a player not getting picked who has been a state league player that’s probably why they’re not getting picked in the senior team.
Bews is a premiership player and son of a club legend he’s not played an afl game this year but is not sulking around the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back