AFLW Rd 7, Richmond vs Geelong 12/10 3:05pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Always felt this was a danger game as cats like us have some real class at the top end. Good that we had to roll the sleeves up after some easy kills . We were well beaten first half , our mids turned up the heat and millzy played a real blinder , terrific win in the end
Luke has to go , no way do u need greiser luke and kb in same front half . Get CJ back into the team
The umpires were terrible , missed plenty of incorrect disposal , no HTB , head high late to Ellie Mc and that late free they paid the wrong way ,,,,
Great stuff girls 👏

Last edited:
Tamara Luke had a shocker. Ford also had a bad game. Sarah Hosking needs to do more.
Libby Graham looks lost out there.
Luke looked a mile off it today, looked like she’s cooked. Got caught ball watching and the oppo Ruck got an easy receive and goal 15mtr out. Gave away frees and had 1 kick for the game.

Graham looked over matched today and looked like she thought so as well.
Maloney is difficult to deal with 6ft and fast and can turn tight and ave nearly 2 goals a game.Leads the comp for score involvements. Had 22 disposals today and looked like she had Graham covered easy.
There’s only going to be more really good fwds coming Grahams way from here on in. She needs to lift.
I thought all our new players looked a little behind the game. Ford, Ryan and Bacon. It was pretty intense, thought Hosking led the way in the first half being hard at it and then looked like she ran outve petrol or might be injured.

A good win, hopefully got through without an injury.

That Rachael Kearns must love playing against us, got concussion from a head knock against Ford today and a couple of years ago Lynch laid a tackle on her that ended her season.

Might get a week or two these days

Well done girls, hard fought win.

Some positives, some negatives.

Conti, Yassir, Dempsey, Egan, Mackenzie, Kelly, and Sheerin our best with some supporting cast in Brennan, Lavey and Hicks

Tamara Luke had a shocker. Ford also had a bad game. Sarah Hosking needs to do more.
Libby Graham looks lost out there. I have liked her in other games but plays the game a bit clueless not sure what to do when she gets the ball, and that spells danger in the backline a liability.
Seymour who i am a fan of like the way she plays the game but still unsure of her in the backline, doesnt strike me as a player who looks assured in her role. Just my take.

Umpiring was atrocious, 19 frees to the cats and 9 to us. Two of the cats goals were umpire assisted.

Yassir fantastic game and pretty much won us the game with her 3 goals.

When is Shevlin back? We are missing her run and penetrating kick.
6th game in 1 month, unchanged lineup. The backline has handed extremely well up to today. barely conceding a single goal some games. Slow start but worked our way to a win.
Plus, remained virtually, injury free.

Shit conditions vs Carlton for a win; Freezing **** off in Tazzy, very competitive vs North.

lightning delays, come up with another win.

Haven't beaten the cats for 4 years, so huge result for the chicas.

Midfield, Sheerin, McKenzie, Conts, kicking a few goals is important I reckon, cos small fwd is hard to play at any level.

Last edited:
6th game in 1 month, unchanged lineup. The backline has handed extremely well up to today. barely conceding a single goal some games. Slow start but worked our way to a win.
Plus, remained virtually, injury free.

Shit conditions vs Carlton for a win; Freezing **** off in Tazzy, very competitive vs North.

lightning delays, come up with another win.

Haven't beaten the cats for 4 years, so huge result for the chicas.

Midfield, Sheerin, McKenzie, Conts, kicking a few goals is important I reckon, cos small fwd is hard to play at any level.
Sheerin kicking goals isA big plus

That Rachael Kearns must love playing against us, got concussion from a head knock against Ford today and a couple of years ago Lynch laid a tackle on her that ended her season.

Might get a week or two these days

Those lynches are tough

Solid hit out for the girls. No one stood out as much as previous games. Mon & Poppy were solid, good game for Yassir also solid effort From Ellie Mac & she continues to hit the right targets. Sheerin also was quite good in patches & Hosking did a lot of the one percenters that every team needs. Graham had a shocking first half with a lot of undisciplined things she did, in the end the backline held together to help with a win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well done girls, hard fought win.

Some positives, some negatives.

Conti, Yassir, Dempsey, Egan, Mackenzie, Kelly, and Sheerin our best with some supporting cast in Brennan, Lavey and Hicks

Libby Graham looks lost out there. I have liked her in other games but plays the game a bit clueless not sure what to do when she gets the ball, and that spells danger in the backline a liability.
Seymour who i am a fan of like the way she plays the game but still unsure of her in the backline, doesnt strike me as a player who looks assured in her role. Just my take.

Umpiring was atrocious, 19 frees to the cats and 9 to us. Two of the cats goals were umpire assisted.

Yassir fantastic game and pretty much won us the game with her 3 goals.

When is Shevlin back? We are missing her run and penetrating kick.
I think Graham just has a lack of pace. Ard it makes her panic..

Found a way to win when not at our best. Good signs.

Oh, remember how I said I’d leave Sarah Hosking out? I was wrong. Yesterday she was brave and tough. Took me back to the very first bounce of the very first AFLW game in 2017 when she sat Bonnici and Bardon on their arses in one hit and crunched Chiocci seconds later.

Just on our Rucks, it’s a big improvement this year.
Either Luke or Poppy have been in the bests every game bar 3, that’s pretty good return for Rucks.

Not in Bests.
The GWS game Poppy had 36 H/0
The Carlton game, no Poppy but I thought Luke was really good.
The Collingwood game, Luke kicks 2 goals.

They’re having a big impact.

I’m usually not a big fan of rucks in AFLW but Poppy is having a great season. AA calcs for mine. Her around the ground work has been fantastic.

I’m usually not a big fan of rucks in AFLW but Poppy is having a great season. AA calcs for mine. Her around the ground work has been fantastic.
💯
She really looks like she believes in her game, it’s good to watch. I think she could take some big grabs too jumping at the ball.

My only thing about yesterdays game was we looked like it took some time to slip into gear with our getting into F50 and making chances stuff.
8 min into the second quarter it was
1.6 cats
.3 us

Hawks might convert more of those and the Dees would probably run their flood, negative football game bullsh.t against us with a two goal lead and us against the wind.

It was maybe a two goal wind they started with I spose and we did finish stronger and did beat them..Conti hit the post twice and a great snap of hers touched on the line, Brennan touched on the line.
Could have been a three goal win pretty easily.
But the better teams, could be a lot harder to come over the top of ‘em with a slow start like that.

We kicked 1.3 against the wind.
They kicked 2.4 against it.

Found a way to win when not at our best. Good signs.

Oh, remember how I said I’d leave Sarah Hosking out? I was wrong. Yesterday she was brave and tough. Took me back to the very first bounce of the very first AFLW game in 2017 when she sat Bonnici and Bardon on their arses in one hit and crunched Chiocci seconds later.
Yep, there were some pretty hard taskmasters on here for this game. Hard to stay up each week when you are a developing squad. Geelong are better than their ladder position suggests - thank goodness they didn't have a fit Amy McDonald, as she probably could have been the difference.

Clear winners in MacKenzie, Dempsey and Kelly. Great duel, playing a bit wide of each other were Conti and Prespakis, Conti becoming the more effective as the game went longer.

Agree with you TM that Hosking rattles cages and at the moment that is her ace card, sadly. Her body work occasionally makes opportunities for other forwards, so you take it, but you do wonder whether you get more out of a Laura Mac or a Courtney Jones. I think Hosking emboldens her team mates!

The gang of three (Ford, Bacon and Ryan) found it a bit tough going against Geelong, Bacon was brave in the contests, Ryan when she gets clear is a good user and always looks for Brennan, and Ford was also brave in contests but ineffective otherwise.

It's interesting that Luke had such an ordinary game, mostly playing forward. I think she needs to come off the bench and I would rather see Laura Mac down forward - that's me.

I'm going to defend Libby Graham. It's a tough gig playing the last defender - even tougher when you have to stand Aishling Maloney who, as a key Forward knocked up getting the ball (23 disp thank you very much) with her enormous runs up the ground and getting back just as fast - Maloney is going to kill this competition at times. When Graham did get the ball (7d 0m) she struggled to find an outlet quickly enough which the Cats must have identified. Now that is as much her vision's fault as her teammates availability, I'm going to suggest. She normally gets more support and is clearly missing Shevlin. I thought Dempsey played more forward of centre today, and Lavey had a very average game. These few players have been pivital to Graham's form in getting the ball rebounding. Miller was solid, so it is a credit to the Backs, Lynch included, that they kept Geelong to a beatable score.

We had more handballs, they had more kicks - yet they killed us with the ball, nearly doubling our marks 23 to 38. Ball security!

Last edited:
Luke looked a mile off it today, looked like she’s cooked. Got caught ball watching and the oppo Ruck got an easy receive and goal 15mtr out. Gave away frees and had 1 kick for the game.

Graham looked over matched today and looked like she thought so as well.
Maloney is difficult to deal with 6ft and fast and can turn tight and ave nearly 2 goals a game.Leads the comp for score involvements. Had 22 disposals today and looked like she had Graham covered easy.
There’s only going to be more really good fwds coming Grahams way from here on in. She needs to lift.
I thought all our new players looked a little behind the game. Ford, Ryan and Bacon. It was pretty intense, thought Hosking led the way in the first half being hard at it and then looked like she ran outve petrol or might be injured.

A good win, hopefully got through without an injury.

Yeah Luke had a bad day but that’s going to happen. Brain fade to let Darby slip goal side and metre or two on her own so close to goal. She knew it was bad.

Yep, there were some pretty hard taskmasters on here for this game. Hard to stay up each week when you are a developing squad. Geelong are better than their ladder position suggests - thank goodness they didn't have a fit Amy McDonald, as she probably could have been the difference.

Clear winners in MacKenzie, Dempsey and Kelly. Great duel, playing a bit wide of each other were Conti and Prespakis, Conti becoming the more effective as the game went longer.

Agree with you TM that Hosking rattles cages and at the moment that is her ace card, sadly. Her body work occasionally makes opportunities for other forwards, so you take it, but you do wonder whether you get more out of a Laura Mac or a Courtney Jones. I think Hosking emboldens her team mates!

The gang of three (Ford, Bacon and Ryan) found it a bit tough going against Geelong, Bacon was brave in the contests, Ryan when she gets clear is a good user and always looks for Brennan, and Ford was also brave in contests but ineffective otherwise.

It's interesting that Luke had such an ordinary game, mostly playing forward. I think she needs to come off the bench and I would rather see Laura Mac down forward - that's me.

I'm going to defend Libby Graham. It's a tough gig playing the last defender - even tougher when you have to stand Aishling Maloney who, as a key Forward knocked up getting the ball (23 disp thank you very much) with her enormous runs up the ground and getting back just as fast - Maloney is going to kill this competition at times. When Graham did get the ball (7d 0m) she struggled to find an outlet quickly enough which the Cats must have identified. Now that is as much her vision's fault as her teammates availability, I'm going to suggest. She normally gets more support and is clearly missing Shevlin. I thought Dempsey played more forward of centre today, and Lavey had a very average game. These few players have been pivital to Graham's form in getting the ball rebounding. Miller was solid, so it is a credit to the Backs, Lynch included, that they kept Geelong to a beatable score.

We had more handballs, they had more kicks - yet they killed us with the ball, nearly doubling our marks 23 to 38. Ball security!

100% agree. Moloney would be a nightmare to play on. Ruck size, fast and agile. Massive tank. Good skills. Thank god she decided to be unselfish when she should have kicked the goal herself late in the game.

I don’t mind Libby either. She’s had some good games. Gives her all. May not always be enough but we have been good as a defensive unit. Not like we have ready made key defenders on the sidelines anyway. Unlike the bad old days our midfield also get back when they need to and help defend.

Hope Shevlin is back soon. Miss her run.

Yeah Luke had a bad day but that’s going to happen. Brain fade to let Darby slip goal side and metre or two on her own so close to goal. She knew it was bad.

100% agree. Moloney would be a nightmare to play on. Ruck size, fast and agile. Massive tank. Good skills. Thank god she decided to be unselfish when she should have kicked the goal herself late in the game.

I don’t mind Libby either. She’s had some good games. Gives her all. May not always be enough but we have been good as a defensive unit. Not like we have ready made key defenders on the sidelines anyway. Unlike the bad old days our midfield also get back when they need to and help defend.

Hope Shevlin is back soon. Miss her run.
I thought Maloney was their most dangerous player and close to best on
Conti could’ve kicked four and was a class above but she’s so consistent at a high level.
This is Maloney’s second season.
Can see clubs throwing money at her she’s one outve the box.

Our back 6 are going to have to play well together we’re going to meet good teams from here on in.
That was their biggest test so far and they’ll be better for it.
I did pencil Maloney in for at least one goal before the game.

Looks like Melb are back in town. They are not the same side that Ess belted by 10 goals a few rounds back.

I guess if we get over the line in the coming weeks then we know we go into finals in form.
I know I was a bit critical of Graham but she’ll be better for it.
The team will grow more quickly playing better sides and having to hold up when things aren’t all going our way.

Did we get any injuries?

I know I was a bit critical of Graham but she’ll be better for it.
The team will grow more quickly playing better sides and having to hold up when things aren’t all going our way.

Did we get any injuries?

Think we are all clear. Would be some sore bodies though but that would be every team.

We are fortunate that we were one of the first teams to come out of that compressed fixturing.

We played Sat Oct 5 then didn't have to play until the next Sat Oct 12.
Melbourne played Oct 3, Oct 9 and again Oct 13.

Fresher legs might play a part down at Casey Fields. That ground is massive. Almost MCG size.

Think we are all clear. Would be some sore bodies though but that would be every team.

We are fortunate that we were one of the first teams to come out of that compressed fixturing.

We played Sat Oct 5 then didn't have to play until the next Sat Oct 12.
Melbourne played Oct 3, Oct 9 and again Oct 13.

Fresher legs might play a part down at Casey Fields. That ground is massive. Almost MCG size.
Yep and a full on Cricket ground rather than an oval.
AFB2C736-A57C-4BDA-B09A-A2D2C89ADF84.jpeg
There expecting 20-30k winds in Melb Sat arvo at the moment
So if that’s thereabouts it’ll be real blowey down there

While everyone seemed to be struggling with the wind on Sat, Yassir had no such difficulty. Made me look up her stats and I found her accuracy over her career was a staggering 70%. (23.10). Conversely I was a bit horrified with MonCon given her phenomenal skills - 37% (20.34).

You can bet it will be blowing a gale down at Casey.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW Rd 7, Richmond vs Geelong 12/10 3:05pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back