Record and CD Collectors

Remove this Banner Ad

Love Rock n Roll.

MPD LTD used to often play Manresa Hall when they were starting out. Pete Smith often compered.
First hit ..... "Little Boy Sad". First recorded by Johnny Burnette in 1960.

http://www.immaculateconceptionaust.com/images/mancinema/gmanpic02.gif

Merv Benton recorded one of his flip sides "Cincinnati Fireball",also from 1960.
Merv's fan club secretary worked at Coles near Glenferrie Oval. Coral might have been her name.
Store was managed by Mr Nutall a Hawks supporter. Photo of him at a game from that era posted a few months ago.

Never saw The Missing Links,however saw many offshoots.
Running,Jumping,Standing Still and The Andy James Asylum were wild.
Had the LP.Came out the same time as The Kinks first album.Decisions,decisions.
Have the CD these days :)

Are you saying you had the Running Jumping Standing Still LP and or an LP by The Andy James Asylum. If so Wow

The overwhelming majority of music fans were deprived of hearing the real stuff from the fifties and sixties by conservative DJs and radio stations. Bands like The Rock and Roll trio were simply not played in the fifties and subsequently only a very select few knew of them. Mention Johnny Burnette to just about anybody from the sixties and all that they know about is The Cincinnati Fireball. His real stuff was 4 years earlier as The Rock and Roll Trio. Same for the sixties every one thinks it was all about The Beatles:rolleyes: and the Stones.

As an example of what we of the fifties missed out on at the time - I only heard Ronnie Self's 'Ain't I'm a Dog' played once over the radio. Never heard the Rock and Roll Trio.

To get this thread moving I may tell what I consider to be the real story of the 4 Bobbies AKA the Beatles.

Are you saying you had the Running Jumping Standing Still LP and or an LP by The Andy James Asylum. If so Wow

The overwhelming majority of music fans were deprived of hearing the real stuff from the fifties and sixties by conservative DJs and radio stations. Bands like The Rock and Roll trio were simply not played in the fifties and subsequently only a very select few knew of them. Mention Johnny Burnette to just about anybody from the sixties and all that they know about is The Cincinnati Fireball. His real stuff was 4 years earlier as The Rock and Roll Trio. Same for the sixties every one thinks it was all about The Beatles:rolleyes: and the Stones.

As an example of what we of the fifties missed out on at the time - I only heard Ronnie Self's 'Ain't I'm a Dog' played once over the radio. Never heard the Rock and Roll Trio.

To get this thread moving I may tell what I consider to be the real story of the 4 Bobbies AKA the Beatles.

I wish. Just The Missing Links.
RJSS/AJA were regulars at the Thumpin' Tum. Dave Flint used to hire a back up band for The Asylum,just in case.
Johnny Burnette was huge. "You're Sixteen" was possibly his biggest hit down under.
Have 6 albums on CD.

https://collection.maas.museum/object/164466

Remove this Banner Ad

Back