Toast Reece Conca - Welcome to Freo!

Remove this Banner Ad

Son of a Wizard

Club Legend
Feb 22, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think Conca will be good for Freo but many don’t. Looks like he us coming home on a long term deal.

So I suppose it begs the question, is Conca a plonker? Will he be good for us or not?

This is such a Bond move it isn't funny. He may have left the club but his bullshit legacy remains strong.

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

I don't think he is inept and I don't think he has had a clear run at a primary midfield role while playing AFL due to both injury and the development of his captain and the other brownlow medalist there.

As long as his role reflects his abilities then he could be very good for us.

Conca is a massive upgrade on Crowden, Giro, Grey, Sutcliffe, Sheridan and even Banfield.

Might be able to teach some of our boys how to tackle again as well.

Upgrade, yes. Massive, no way.

Give it 12 months Crowden, Giro and especially Banfield will have overtaken him and he'll be regularly compared to Sutcliffe around these parts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Never rated him, but willing to concede that might be ignorance on my part. Can't say I've watched heap of him more recently so could be wrong.

Just strikes me as an average player that looks OK in a good team but doesn't have the skills, drive etc. off his own back. Don't see him as much of an upgrade on anybody on our list, just a more mature and experienced version of some of them.

EDIT: like Scham said above.

I don't think he is inept and I don't think he has had a clear run at a primary midfield role while playing AFL due to both injury and the development of his captain and the other brownlow medalist there.

As long as his role reflects his abilities then he could be very good for us.

Neale replacement?

Why is that so?
It's another Moneyballer coming in. Sylvia, Pearce and Conca is the sum total of our FA record if this comes off. That Pearce is the best of them is telling you where we are setting the bar.
Who offers four year contracts to 26 year olds for depth?

I don't mind it. Agree with others that having midfielders willing to defend is important. They don't have to be stars... look at some of the 2 way plonkers who now have premiership medals.

Edit - plonkers is the wrong word. Perhaps clogger?

The opposite of Neale.

Lachie is a mid who works forward, Conca is a mid that works back.

That's not a defensive effort comment, Conca played half back in his U18s a bit and Lachie is effective forward.
We need to break games open. One way of doing that is keeping the same players and change the coach/gameplan. If we aren't going to do that, bring in players that can individually open it up through elite ball use or speed. The last thing we need is a four year contract for a guy with neither

Fringe 22 acquisition. At best spends 2 years being decent but blocking a kid who might turn in to something better.

Not a great kick. Can run but is not fast. Not a deadset weapon inside. Has dog-shotted people in the past.

Honestly i'll bet that in 1-2 years he's overtaken by development of other young mids and clogs up the team for a while before being finally banished to Peel ala Kersten.

Agree with Square Peg, 4 years for a player like Conca is a genuine WTF moment. The only way it makes sense is if we have so much money we genuinely have no idea how to get to 95% of cap.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Reece Conca - Welcome to Freo!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back