Past Rhan Hooper (2006-2009)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Rhan Hooper

When he fronts up to training, we'll know for sure :(

That'd be handy.

Hopefully all is well with Rhan, as he is a talented young fella, as seen in the game against Essendon last year.

After the Fremantle game last year he spoke with Jeff Farmer for at least 10 minutes, so hopefully Rhan can emulate Farmer's on-field exploits over his career.

It looks like your player has walked out on the Lions:mad: :eek: I just saw it on the herold sun website.

That is not good.

The door is open for a return if the passion reignites within himself. Hopefully for him, the club and the supporters, we get to see him playing again at some stage in the next 6 months.

http://lions.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=313104
Rhan Hooper update
2:06:30 PM Wed 31 January, 2007
lions.com.au

The Vodafone Brisbane Lions Football Club advises that Rhan Hooper has ceased training with the Club for the time being citing a lack of personal motivation to continue his 11-game AFL career.

Hooper hasn’t trained with the Lions since the Club’s pre-season training camp at Runaway Bay which ended on Saturday 13 January. Rhan has told Club management that he has some personal issues to resolve which are preventing him from meeting his current training commitments.

“All Lions players are required to maintain a certain level of fitness and training throughout the pre-season so that they can compete at the highest professional level,” Football Manager Graeme Allan said. “Rhan has made the very difficult decision that he is unable to meet these demands right at this stage of his life and we obviously cannot force a player to carry on against their will.”

Allan has kept in regular contact with the 19-year-old over the past two weeks and certainly isn’t rejecting the possibility of him ever returning to the Club.

“We certainly haven’t given up on Rhan,” Allan said. “We are currently working through his personal issues with him so that he can come back one day. He is a valuable young member of our team and our door will always remain open for him.”

The Club has no intention of delisting Hooper.

It is what it is. For selfish reasons I hope he plays again for us, but more importantly I hope he sorts out what he needs to and get his priorites right. Easy to forget he's 19 going on 20. Also easy to forget he's a human being first and a footballer (or whatever) after that.

It is what it is. For selfish reasons I hope he plays again for us, but more importantly I hope he sorts out what he needs to and get his priorites right. Easy to forget he's 19 going on 20. Also easy to forget he's a human being first and a footballer (or whatever) after that.

Well put.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Link

Hooper back in the fold at the Lions
By DARREN MONCRIEFF
AboriginalFootball@westnet.com.au
Saturday, February 24, 2007

RHAN HOOPER has ended months of personal limbo and has returned to the Brisbane Lions, but he faces the tough task of regaining his club's respect and trust.

Hooper, 19, returned to Lions training on Thursday after two months away from the club. His job now is to do some serious catch-up training before he is even ready to be considered for selection in the Lions' first 22.

He initially left the club citing a lack of desire. The club has fined Hooper $7000 for his voluntary absence.

Hooper's uncle Ian North said earlier this month his nephew would make his way back to the Gabba.

"I'm pretty confident Rhan will get back, just from what he's said to me over the past week," he said on the 5th. "We've spoken in depth about the ramifications of having even two or three weeks off. Rhan understands what's required."

Hooper played 11 games for the Lions last year and the teenager proved a revelation as a livewire half-forward, much in the mould of Melbourne's Aaron Davey.

What they said
Brisbane co-captain Chris Johnson:
"He's going to have to earn every individual's respect and trust. He won't get that until he starts training and playing hard and doing all the right things.

"He wants to come back so we are taking him up on that. We've just got to wait and see how he goes. But it's good that he has sorted it out, and he's back at training now."

Lions ruckman Jamie Charman:
"It's good to have him back. He's such a great little player you wouldn't want to see so much talent go to waste.

"We saw him yesterday when he came back to the club and we welcomed the little fella back with open arms. He had some personal issues which he has got over. He might have to do the hard yards for a while but that's to be expected and he probably knows that."

Lions coach Leigh Matthews:
"Rhan has said that he wants to resume training and the club has agreed to his request. However, he will require a couple months of serious catch-up training before he can even be considered to play."

hoopertt6.jpg

Link

Hooper back in action

Andrew Hamilton
May 04, 2007 12:00am

Article from:

TROUBLED Lion Rhan Hooper has paid his penance for walking out on the club over the summer and will return to action in the AFLQ this weekend.
Hooper was fined 15 per cent of his base salary – about $7000 – and sentenced to several months' hard labour after abandoning the Lions' pre-season program. The talented forward's career looked over when he went AWOL for two months over the pre-season.
The Lions, frustrated at being unable to receive a solid answer on his intentions, cut off his salary.
This prompted Hooper to return to Brisbane and he was granted a reprieve after meetings with coach Leigh Matthews and football manager Graeme Allan.
However, he was told he faced a lengthy period of gut-busting training to win back the respect of his teammates and get himself ready to play.
Lions co-captain Chris Johnson said the young forward had done exactly that since returning in late February.
"When Rhan came back he was given a plan and told he wouldn't play until he'd met all the criteria," Johnson said.
"To his credit he's done that. He has proved to the guys he is ready because he has worked hard.
"While we were training together as a group he was on his own and when we finished and were stretching down, he was still out there doing extra work."
Brisbane was sympathetic to Hooper, who had struggled since his mother and sister returned to Victoria.
But he had failed to impress with his attitude to training during his first season in the AFL and was told by the Lions it was an area that must be improved.
Johnson disputes the perception that Hooper was lazy, saying it was his attendance that was the problem.
"He is a good trainer," Johnson said.
"It was a matter of getting him there to train, but once he was there he worked as hard as anyone else. He's shown everyone he knows he's done the wrong thing.
"Now he has a challenge. It (his place) was pretty much guaranteed last year, but it is a better team now and he's going to have to work a lot harder than he did last year."

hooperkl2.jpg

The article highlights for me the advantage of having Johnno around. You look at the rest of the leadership group and they all have been such high achievers since virtually their introduction to senior footy. Johnno fits in the high achiever category now but I bet the "lazy", "undisciplined", "unfulfilled talent" type comments that used to be floated around about him early on are still in the back of his mind. He knows what it is like to have expectations on you based on your talent but, for one reason or another, not delivering on that. You'd have to think that is a leadership advantage for a side with so many youngsters still developing their games.

The article highlights for me the advantage of having Johnno around. You look at the rest of the leadership group and they all have been such high achievers since virtually their introduction to senior footy. Johnno fits in the high achiever category now but I bet the "lazy", "undisciplined", "unfulfilled talent" type comments that used to be floated around about him early on are still in the back of his mind. He knows what it is like to have expectations on you based on your talent but, for one reason or another, not delivering on that. You'd have to think that is a leadership advantage for a side with so many youngsters still developing their games.

I agree, he leads by example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvd6bcZeKAk

Gotta love him, no matter how bad it might look!:D

Gee, is it just me or have the 'blame the nasty club culture/leave the poor kid alone'-merchants gone a bit quiet on the posting front since, against most predictions, we started playing and did ok?

I would have thought good, pretty competitive footy gave you more to talk about, but what do I know?
;)

Gee, is it just me or have the 'blame the nasty club culture/leave the poor kid alone'-merchants gone a bit quiet on the posting front since, against most predictions, we started playing and did ok?

I would have thought good, pretty competitive footy gave you more to talk about, but what do I know?
;)

The fact that some decent footy is being played means most people share the same opinions.

When things don't go so well, there are different schools of thought. Neither one is ever totally correct.

From a high ground though, it must be a good view. :)

The fact that some decent footy is being played means most people share the same opinions.

When things don't go so well, there are different schools of thought. Neither one is ever totally correct.

I would have thought that the 'sheep' who remained positive and continued to back the direction of the club and its football department are now being vindicated by a positive performance on the field.

Perhaps.

Some might say you should only ever be ashamed of claiming the high ground if you're clearly standing in the valley. ;)

Nothing wrong with claiming the high ground when it's yours to claim. It's not like the doom and gloom merchants will admit they got it wrong.

Personally, I can't wait for him to come back into our senior side. I really enjoyed the way he was playing and don't hold anything against him for walking away from the club.

He is back now and I can't wait for him to jump back into a pocket. His pace and tackling prowess is exhilarating. I will be reading AFLQ alot more, I hope he kicks a few bags and comes back into the side next year.

Is he 19 this year?

Was anyone else there watching the Suncoast Lions yesterday?

He was very good. Defensive pressure was excellent and he seemed to be running into some very good form indeed.

Good signs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past Rhan Hooper (2006-2009)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back