Rhyce Shaw.....Risky career move or a free hit?

Remove this Banner Ad

I had no idea he was even an assistant coach until this past weekend, so he wasn't even a thought as a potential senior coach in my mind. Therefore, I'd say it's a free hit.
Yeah, what the hell? Was he an assistant at the Kangaroos or what? Usually you see them in the box or interviewed on the ground and you have a general idea of who's gone into coaching. I thought this dude just moved on. I was pretty surprised and even more bemused that they took him over Tudor – isn't he well esteemed?

No one is going to judge him based on half a season involving a player list he had no control over. I imagine it’s great work experience.

I am wonder if he gets paid more, or is it just a volunteer thing?

I laughed when I heard the name Rhyce Shaw. They should've signed Scott up for another 10 years

Some of the coaches who were appointed as interim coaches of clubs and then went on to coach the club on a permanent basis this century:

• Grant Thomas - appointed St Kilda's interim coach from round 16, 2001 after Malcolm Blight left St Kilda. As coach of St Kilda between 2001 and 2006, overall record of 63 wins, 1 draw and 59 losses (including 2 wins and 4 losses in finals).
  • Paul Roos - appointed Sydney's interim coach from round 13, 2002 after Rodney Eade left Sydney . As coach of Sydney between 2002 and 2010, overall record of 116 wins, 2 draws and 84 losses (including one premiership and one losing grand final).
  • Peter Rohde - appointed Western Bulldogs' coach from round 22, 2002 after Terry Wallace left the Western Bulldogs. As coach of the Bulldogs between 2002 and 2004, overall record of 9 wins, 1 draw and 35 losses.
  • Neil Craig - appointed Adelaide's interim coach from round 14, 2004 after Gary Ayres left the Crows. As coach of the Crows between 2004 and 2011, overall record of 92 wins and 74 losses.
  • Mark Harvey - appointed Fremantle's interim coach from round 16, 2007 after Chris Connolly left the Dockers. As coach of Fremantle between 2007 and 2011, overall record of 39 wins and 58 losses.
  • Brett Ratten - appointed Carlton's interim coach from round 17, 2007 after Denis Pagan left the Blues. As coach of Carlton between 2007 and 2012, overall record of 60 wins, 1 draw and 59 losses.
  • Matthew Primus - appointed Port Adelaide's interim coach from round 16, 2010 after Mark Williams left the Power. As coach of Port Adelaide between 2010 and 2012, overall record of 13 wins and 34 losses.
All of them besides Roos are pretty mediocre coaches

Its definetly not a free hit. If he goes 1-11 or something it has to effect his chances of getting a full time job anytime soon. If he goes extremely well he will pretty much have a guaranteed job. Every game will count for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scott Watters was gone after 2 years and Mark Neeld didn’t even see out 2 years.

Consequently there will be some pressure on Shaw to at least be getting results of some description

I had no idea he was even an assistant coach until this past weekend, so he wasn't even a thought as a potential senior coach in my mind. Therefore, I'd say it's a free hit.
Really?

I thought it was fairly well known he was a major factor in the success of some of the Swans small defenders and had been heavily involved with Sam Murray’s development.

No chance. They have said they will try to rebuild with picks so expect they will be giving the kids a go to fast track their development and and play the Melbourne 'we are not tanking' game.

I think North would ahve been better bringing in an older-style coach like a Roos and tell him his job is to let them know which players they should trade out at year's end and which players won't make it.

I mean if he goes 5-7 over the remainder of the season that would be a huge success. It's all relative.

Well it really depends. I am more inclined to say that it is not a free hit. If he has a really bad record like maybe 0 wins or 1 win for the rest of the season with a lot of thrashings, then it will not look good for him. If North Melbourne continue to follow this season’s trajectory or better, then I don’t think he has much to lose. Benefits out-weigh the risks for him IMO.

Recent history suggests it's career suicide for an assistant with head coaching ambitions to take on the caretaker role.
Only a few have retained the top job or been offered the top job by another club

Here's a list interim coaches who stepped to replace a coach once the year had already begun

2019 - Rhyce Shaw - replaced Brad Scott at North
2017 - Dean Solomon - replaced Rodney Eade at Gold Coast
2015 - Scott Camporeale - replaced Phil Walsh Adelaide
2015 - Matthew Egan - replaced James Hird at Essendon
2015 - John Barker - replaced Mick Malthouse at Carlton
2013 - Simon Goodwin - replaced James Hird (suspended) for Essendon's last game --> currently coaching Melbourne
2013 - Neil Craig - replaced Mark Neeld at Melbourne
2013 - Mark Harvey - replaced Michael Voss at Brisbane
2012 - Garry Hocking - replaced Matthew Primus at Port
2011 - Todd Viney - replaced Dean Bailey at Melbourne
2011 - Paul Williams - replaced Rodney Eade at the Bulldogs
2011 - Mark Bickley - replaced Neil Craig at Adelaide
2010 - Matthew Primus - replaced Mark Williams at Port --> coached from 2011 to 2012
2009 - Jade Rawlings - replaced Terry Wallace at Richmond
2009 - Darren Crocker - replaced Dean Laidley at North - remained as an assistant and stepped in as caretaker for Brad Scott
2007 - Mark Riley - replaced Neale Daniher at Melbourne
2007 - Mark Harvey - replaced Chris Connolly at Fremantle --> coached from 2008 to 2011
2004 - Donald McDonald - replaced Peter Schwab at Hawthorn
2002 - Peter Rhode - replaced Terry Wallace at the Bulldogs --> coached from 2003 to 2004
2002 - Paul Roos - replaced Rodney Eade at Sydney --> coached from 2003 to 2010 (and Melb 2014-16)
2001 - Ben Allan - replaced Damien Drum at Fremantle
2001 - Grant Thomas - replaced Malcolm Blight at St Kilda --> coached from 2002 to 2006
1998 - Roger Merrett - replaced John Northey at Brisbane
1997 - Jeff Gieschen - replaced Robert Walls at Richmond --> coached from 1998 to 1999
1997 - Greg Hutchison - replaced Neil Balme at Melbourne
1996 - Terry Wallace - replaced Alan Joyce at Footscray --> coached from 1997 to 2002 (and Rich 2005-09)
1996 - Alan McConnell - replaced Michael Nunan at Fitzroy
1995 - Alan McConnell - replaced Bernie Quinlan at Fitzroy --> 12 months later, accepted caretaker role again
1994 - Alan Joyce - replaced Terry Wheeler at Footscray --> coached from 1995 to 1996
1993 - Denis Pagan - replaced Wayne Schimmelbusch prior to Rd 1 at North --> coached from 1993 to 2002 (Carl 2003-07)
1993 - Brett Scott - replaced Gary Buckenara at Sydney
1989 - Paul Feltham - replaced Peter Knights at Brisbane
1989 - Alex Jesaulenko - replaced Robert Walls at Carlton --> coached in 1990
1986 - Leigh Matthews - replaced Bobby Rose at Collingwood --> coached from 1986-95 (and Bris 1999-2008)
1984 - Graham Gellie - replaced Tony Jewell at St Kilda --> coached from 1985 to 1986
1984 - Bob Hammond - replaced Ricky Quade at Sydney
1982 - Mick Erwin - replaced Tom Hafey at Collingwood
1981 - Barry Cable - replaced captain-coach Malcolm Blight at North --> coached from 1982 to 1984
1978 - Don McKenzie - replaced Bill Goggin at Footscray --> coached in 1979
1974 - Graham Campbell - replaced Graham Donaldson at Fitzroy --> coached in WAFL 1975-77, returned to Fitzroy in 1978

I realise it's slightly disingenuous to include some of these as "caretakers". Cable, Matthews, Pagan, Joyce, Wallace and Harvey weren't really caretakers. They were given the job outright. I just included them to be a completist.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rhyce Shaw.....Risky career move or a free hit?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back