Coach Richmond under Adem Yze

Remove this Banner Ad

Mulligan for this year, but I fear he won't be a long term coach because of how Richmond's list is placed.
Some coaches survive the rebuilds, some don't.

Too early to tell but will depend if the club thinks Yze is the right man just without the players to do it yet.

Remembering as well, he's probably going to improve as a coach over time.

It’ll be an interesting off season.

If we lose Baker, Rioli and Graham it could be an accelerant to our rebuild if we draft correctly.
Again if we draft some promising youngsters it will bide Yze plenty of time with developing our list.

To Hawthorn’s credit they’ve stuck to playing the kids and are now reaping the rewards. They were highly competitive last year but just couldn’t get wins on the board. I think that’s the model Richmond will be aiming for in the next 3 years.

Some coaches survive the rebuilds, some don't.

Too early to tell but will depend if the club thinks Yze is the right man just without the players to do it yet.

Remembering as well, he's probably going to improve as a coach over time.
You've still got a lot of talent on your list. From today you had Taranto, Hopper, Bolton, Nank, Broad, Vlaustin, Rioli, Baker.

If you can keep the core together and add quality youth you can bounce back quicker than expected

You've still got a lot of talent on your list. From today you had Taranto, Hopper, Bolton, Nank, Broad, Vlaustin, Rioli, Baker.

If you can keep the core together and add quality youth you can bounce back quicker than expected
Bite the bullet, I'd almost guarantee no one older than Balta and Bolton is going to be around for their next genuine push. If they pick the leaders they want to keep around Taranto, Hopper, Balta and Bolton to gradually phase out they can build enough of a core before Tassie drafts.

They have more youth than others that have had to go through the full list turnover but they need their group of core elite players from the draft coz the under 25 group they have is nice, not elite.

Yze should have at least 4 years to see what he can do unless it looks Neeld like which I don't think it does.

Last edited:
Bite the bullet, I'd almost guarantee no one older than Balta and Bolton is going to be around for their next genuine push. If they pick the leaders they want to keep around Taranto, Hopper, Ballarat and Bplton to gradually phase out they can build enough of a core before Tassie drafts.

They have more youth than others that have had to go through the full list turnover but they need their group of core elite players from the draft coz the under 25 group they have is nice, not elite.

Yze should have at least 4 years to see what he cam do unless it looks Neeld like which I don't think it does.
When has the bite the bullet strategy ever worked?

He's doing some things right, but on-field the team is struggling to hold it all together for a full four quarters.

Hopefully he improves as a coach and the youngsters show natural improvement. It will be slow, especially if we lose some or all of Baker, Bolton, Graham, Rioli but it's the only way at the moment. I think he'll definitely coach into 2026 at least.

Coaches are properly questioned When there’s high expectations of a playing group and they fall short, or if development is too slow, both of these scenarios are a few years off.

When has the bite the bullet strategy ever worked?
I'd say it's more about not being afraid to lose players if they want out. I wouldn't push them out but if Baker and Rioli want out, get the most you can and move on. I suppose bite the bullet is the wrong wording but don't go chasing a quick turnaround, commit to the draft and do it the hard way. The core of premierships always starts with elite drafted talent.

Last edited:
Bite the bullet, I'd almost guarantee no one older than Balta and Bolton is going to be around for their next genuine push. If they pick the leaders they want to keep around Taranto, Hopper, Ballarat and Bplton to gradually phase out they can build enough of a core before Tassie drafts.

Yze should have at least 4 years to see what he cam do unless it looks Neeld like which I don't think it does.
Which one of those boys from Ballarat should we keep in our leadership group?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't rate him. Struggles to put two words together and he put up the camel at the start of the year. Should have sacked him then and there.

I think Port should keep Hinkley. I don’t know of any obvious better replacements and these guys are in the premiership window atm. New coaches should generally be done when clubs are rebuilding unless something extraordinary happens.
I know Port fans suggest getting rid of Hinkley, but honestly - who would you get to replace him?

Can’t judge him this season, this is what I hate about the way the AFL does it. There is zero incentive for any of the bottom four teams to win right now.

We would be crazy to try and win a game for the rest of the year, get the number one pick and you have the chance to draft a Harley Reid or you get first choice in pre season plus have that advantage of being able to offer number 1 pick if a genuine superstar wanted a trade.

I’d rather the AFL went down the path of the play in / wild card for finals and draft lottery.

St Kilda is a perfect example been around the mark for finals the last 5 years haven’t really had good picks etc but really need that boost to make the jump from just out of the 8 to genuine finals shot.

That way you keep the season alive for longer, maybe you play each team once and we have a longer finals series where more games mean something.

Yze aspired to be a senior coach so he took the job he could when he could.
Richmond are in and on their way to football hell for quite some time to come and Yze will be chewed up and spat out like many before him in this situation.
Timing is everything and we’ll never know if the bloke can coach or not …

Is not a Richmond man, inside job to take the club down, sack him
It is a risk when you bring in someone hell bent on leaving there own legacy by trying to dismiss the previous one instead of embracing it. i.e Yze's taking down of the premiership photos at Punt road, brining in the Camel when you are the Tigers why? What is that all about? You already have a fierce approach and culture with Tigers wtf is a Camel gonna bring?
But having said that you have to give the guy a chance and more time to prove his philosophy right and overturn the squad. Richmond have shown glimpses this season just not consistently and injuries have hurt, future isn't all dark clouds just need to give it time.

Last edited:
It should be no surprise to any if we don’t win another game this season.

And I’m ok with that. As long as he plays the younger guys ahead of some of the older guys and we work out who can play.

Injuries have meant guys like Pickett, Grimes, Lynch, Prestia aren’t getting games but id like to see what Banks can do on the wing at the expense of Macintosh.

Apart from that all our older players have pretty much been retired.

It’s really about seeing if Yze can develop this batch of juniors, and also the ones we will draft in the next couple of years.

This should be what he’s judged on, not wins.
Few expected Richmond to be better than bottom 4 this year and while two wins is disappointing, the injury crisis we face in the first half of the year has expedited our rebuild.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Richmond under Adem Yze

Remove this Banner Ad

Back