Rick Beato

Remove this Banner Ad

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Apologies if there's other threads about him - I did a quick search and saw his name mentioned a couple of times.

This guy is the Richie Benaud of rock music. Discovered one of his videos by accident a month or so ago and simply cannot get enough. Never have I seen someone combine the passion, knowledge, technical skills and presentation that this guy has and he's given me a totally new appreciation for SO many songs.

I even like listening to More Than A Feeling again now because of him.

What a boss.

Yeh his videos are interesting. Mostly sticks to pretty mainstream stuff, but also has a reasonable appreciation for metal and some hardcore bands. His ear is pretty ridiculous - notices little counter melodies in songs (probably helps he's unravelled all the layers individually) and can explain in some detail how a certain combination or clashing of sounds can illicit a particular response. He is obviously pretty well studied in music theory, but also understands music on a pretty visceral level.

I loved his unpacking of One Armed Scissor. Probably my favourite.

Last edited:
Yeh his videos are interesting. Mostly sticks to pretty mainstream stuff, but also has a reasonable appreciation for metal and some hardcore bands. His ear is pretty ridiculous - notices little counter melodies in songs (probably helps he's unravelled all the layers individually) and can explain is some detail how a certain combination or clashing of sounds can illicit a particular response. He is obviously pretty well studied in music theory, but also understands music on a pretty visceral level.

i haven't watched it yet - I do like that song. What I find very fascinating about him is the fact that he IS quite mainstream. He loves some obscure stuff but unlike a lot of people so educated and across music, he isn't snobby at all. I have gone off a lot of mainstream classic rock just from over-listening to it. His wide-eyed appreciation of some of the musicianship involved has completely allowed me to rediscover it. He gets the same hard-on I do from things like the pick-slide into the chorus of More Than A Feeling or the 'caveman' fills of John Bonham that don't sound THAT amazing until you stop and appreciate how hard he is hitting the skins. Even the solo of Stairway - something I can appreciate but had just heard too many times - I watched him play it more effortlessly than I could ever imagine anyone not called Jimmy Page playing it.

He said he was in a band supporting Megadeth on tour so I'm guessing he has a wide taste in music.

You should check out Shred, not quite as academic but entertaining!

He said he was in a band supporting Megadeth on tour so I'm guessing he has a wide taste in music.

You should check out Shred, not quite as academic but entertaining!

Thanks for the tip!

What I find amazing watching guys like Beato, and Steve Stine is another albeit more on the tutorial side, is the knowledge that THESE are the guys who never made it. Yes sometimes talent isn’t everything in a successful band but gee it makes you wonder just how good the guys are who write the songs they play.

After listening to him deconstruct Paranoid Android it just got me thinking how the hell does someone write that? I can play it easily enough but holy hell I have no idea how someone comes up with that

What I find amazing watching guys like Beato, and Steve Stine is another albeit more on the tutorial side, is the knowledge that THESE are the guys who never made it. Yes sometimes talent isn’t everything in a successful band but gee it makes you wonder just how good the guys are who write the songs they play.
Ola Englund and Samus Paulicelli I guess have "made it", bigger on YT than as a touring artist though. Apparently Doyle from The Misfits has never been able to read music, but I really enjoy what he's done with The Misfits, Kryst the Conqueror and his own band.

I admire guys with a great ear as I've never really had the talent to listen to recordings and work out how to play songs.

Yeah he's very boss

His knowledge of music theory is second to none. So impressive

And how he can separate the tracks from any song. Wizadry

Yeah he's very boss

His knowledge of music theory is second to none. So impressive

And how he can separate the tracks from any song. Wizadry
It depends on the mix I think. I read an article that you could do that using Audacity, if you search for it then you'll get a better explanation. Essentially the left and right channels can be isolated in different manners. That's more for separating vocals / instruments, I assume that's how Bill McClintock does it... but individual instruments not so sure.

It depends on the mix I think. I read an article that you could do that using Audacity, if you search for it then you'll get a better explanation. Essentially the left and right channels can be isolated in different manners. That's more for separating vocals / instruments, I assume that's how Bill McClintock does it... but individual instruments not so sure.

I didn't mean it was actual wizadry haha. He's got industry level tools and maybe access to master tracks

Yeh his videos are interesting. Mostly sticks to pretty mainstream stuff, but also has a reasonable appreciation for metal and some hardcore bands. His ear is pretty ridiculous - notices little counter melodies in songs (probably helps he's unravelled all the layers individually) and can explain is some detail how a certain combination or clashing of sounds can illicit a particular response. He is obviously pretty well studied in music theory, but also understands music on a pretty visceral level.

Oooh I need to watch him dissect OAS

I disagree he sticks to mainstream stuff, he analyses heaps of diverse stuff

Been following Beato for years now.
He knows his music theory well and has good opinions overall.

He posted this only yesterday and it's somewhat....I don't know....different, to what you may think it may be.
The syrup is held back and it really showcases an influence upon his life that actually seems genuine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

have you seen the videos where he has got his kid on listening to piano chords and the kid has perfect pitch and can isolate every note being played, name them, and then sing them as an arpeggio ?

Absolutely ridiculous stuff
Yep, but you undersell him. He is picking chords with full extensions, singing every note in the chord , then turns around and notates it on a whiteboard. GTFOH,

Surely the notation is the easy part once you can alreay identify the notes from ear

Would have to have a bit of synesthesia, surely?
Yeah probably. Just overall very impressive.
Funny thing is, the kid dosent like music particlularly at all.
He is like "meh"...interested in pursuing other things.
Some people are naturally gifted this is true with perfect pitch etc, but as a musician myself, I havent seen anything quite on that level,

Fleetwood Mac didn't like him either .
I'm not sure why you say that. He was great friends with Mick Fleetwood and his wife, Jenny Boyd. He filled in for them at short notice on a couple of tours. He was never meant to be a permanent member. He's still great friends with Jenny Boyd and you can read about him in the chapter on him, in her book, "Icons of Rock".

I'm not sure why you say that. He was great friends with Mick Fleetwood and his wife, Jenny Boyd. He filled in for them at short notice on a couple of tours. He was never meant to be a permanent member. He's still great friends with Jenny Boyd and you can read about him in the chapter on him, in her book, "Icons of Rock".

Because he said they were one of the band's that didn't like him doing one of their songs ..

Where other bands promote his videos on there pages ..

Remove this Banner Ad

Rick Beato

Remove this Banner Ad

Back