Player Watch Riley Thilthorpe - Signed to End of 2028

Remove this Banner Ad

Coming up to 5 weeks tomorrow that FAITH welched on his bet with me. But every time i see the thilthorpe thread it reminds me that we picked a super SA kid with our highest ever pick..and Faith was dreaming if he thought thilthorpe was sliding

I'd still argue that we took him only because he was from SA and that he potentially might have slid had we not have taken him with our first pick, but we'll never know.

It's poor form to welch on a bet though and he should definitely honour it.

Last edited:
I'd still argue that we took him only because he was from SA and that he potentially might have slid had we not have taken him with our first pick, but we'll never know.

Wasn't there something that came out on which players clubs would have taken at pick 1 and there were 3 or 4 that had Thiltorpe at the top of the list? He may have slid a few places but never ever to pick 9 - considering Essendon picked 2 talls from their 3 top 10 picks. And yes, it is poor form to welch on a bet that he was so **** sure about he posted it in the no discussion thread:)

I clearly disagree with your "we only took him because he was from SA" line and that article where Twomey asked club recruiters post draft who they would have taken if they had our pick clearly showed Thilthorpe was right up near the pointy end with most recruiters.

I clearly disagree with your "we only took him because he was from SA" line and that article where Twomey asked club recruiters post draft who they would have taken if they had our pick clearly showed Thilthorpe was right up near the pointy end with most recruiters.

If I’m reading / counting right:
McDonald - 4 clubs
Thilt - 3 clubs
DGB - 5 clubs
Hollands - 1 club

Pick 1(2) wasn’t unanimous and a toss up between the big 3.

Wasn't there something that came out on which players clubs would have taken at pick 1 and there were 3 or 4 that had Thiltorpe at the top of the list? He may have slid a few places but never ever to pick 9 - considering Essendon picked 2 talls from their 3 top 10 picks. And yes, it is poor form to welch on a bet that he was so **** sure about he posted it in the no discussion thread:)

I just did some research for Faith, I just found the 2016 vintage in stock Dan Murphy's Golden Grove for $140.

I live up that way FAITH so I am happy to give you directions 🤣 🤣

That article suggests that most other clubs wouldn't have taken Thilthorpe with their first pick.

Chances are that he would have gone somewhere between 1-5, but part of me believes that if Thilthorpe wasn't from SA that we might have gone with someone else with our first pick.

Ultimately it's moot anyway, I just hope that he's going to end up being worth the pick that we spent on him.

That article suggests that most other clubs wouldn't have taken Thilthorpe with their first pick.

Chances are that he would have gone somewhere between 1-5, but part of me believes that if Thilthorpe wasn't from SA that we might have gone with someone else with our first pick.

Ultimately it's moot anyway, I just hope that he's going to end up being worth the pick that we spent on him.
I won't use the disagree emoticon but I disagree totally....the fact Riley is from SA is an added bonus.....Big blokes with his contested marking talent, ability below his knees, elite running capabilities and versatility don't come along too often. People seem to forget he was managing OP for most of the season but was still prepared to play through it. Think you're set to be pleasantly surprised in coming years.

I won't use the disagree emoticon but I disagree totally....the fact Riley is from SA is an added bonus.....Big blokes with his contested marking talent, ability below his knees, elite running capabilities and versatility don't come along too often. People seem to forget he was managing OP for most of the season but was still prepared to play through it. Think you're set to be pleasantly surprised in coming years.
He is also pretty imposing out on the field - he does not back out of a contest from when I have seen him play live

I was probably leaning more towards McDonald than Thilthorpe pre-draft, given McDonalds improvement rate and TT's groin issues in 2020. But I definitely wanted one of them. TT's 2019 was pretty impressive and it would have been interesting to see how he would have gone if he wasn't hampered by injury in 2020. Not many kids have played 2 years of SANFL league before being draft eligible (although another is coming up at the end of this year).

The Club had way more medical info than we have access to, and were comfortable taking TT. That's good enough for me, as an injury free TT would seem to have the higher ceiling of the 2.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I do trust your judgement and opinions with draftees so I'm definitely hoping you're right.

It will be interesting to watch his development over the next 2-3 years.

Last edited:

The article suggests there is no player most clubs would have taken at 2.

If I’m reading / counting right:
McDonald - 4 clubs
Thilt - 3 clubs
DGB - 5 clubs
Hollands - 1 club

Pick 1(2) wasn’t unanimous and a toss up between the big 3.

Doesn't that really mean that 7 clubs wanted a tall - and of those 3 would have taken Thilthorpe - and that six weren't looking for a tall so weren't interested in either Riley or Logan?

I don't think that has anything to do with it, we've rarely done that

What it says to me is their was no consensus #2, so given the choice between 3 guys that are all rated similarly, I'd hit up the local lad every time. If we spend pick 2 on the 2nd-4th talented kid and they stay, I'll take the one spit downgrade every time. Where you're reaching down a quality level it's another story.

Coming up to 5 weeks tomorrow that FAITH welched on his bet with me. But every time i see the thilthorpe thread it reminds me that we picked a super SA kid with our highest ever pick..and Faith was dreaming if he thought thilthorpe was sliding
There are some that are happy to make statements and make accusations, and not take the challenge of a bet

FAITH plagiarised that from speculation on draft central. They wondered if he started to fall, could he fall to 9?

this was a couple of weeks before the draft and faith just stole it claiming he had a source

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Riley Thilthorpe - Signed to End of 2028

Remove this Banner Ad

Back