Player Watch Riley Thilthorpe - Signed to End of 2028

Remove this Banner Ad

Did AFC entertain any offers for the #1 pick or was it always off the table?

What would've Crows supporters thought about swapping it for two of Essendon's picks?
Club has said that there was little interest from clubs trading for pick 1

I believe clubs trading for pick 1 is just a myth these days, it just doesn't happen and I doubt we will ever see it happen again

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Tex won't play SANFL unless it's a tune up returning from a decent injury. We will try the Tex, Lynch, Fog, RT and Himmelberg forward line if all fit. When it doesn't work and if there's no injuries, it won't be Tex or Lynch playing 2s. One of the other 3 will make way. You will never see "(omit)" appear next to Lynch or Tex name. Lynch plays the Lynch role better than anyone anyway, so he's no chance to be dropped unless they reassess the need for the role.
Lynch will spend a bit of time on the wing this year

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’ll agree most here thought of him as having hard hands, although they were wrong. EH was always clean at ground level.
Ground level was never his problem. But he did go through a bad patch of dropping essentially uncontested overhead marks. But I think that was a confidence thing, once it clicked that seemed to go away.

Thankgod cause I (like many in here) was 9/10th of the way to writing him off! I love when a young kid proves me wrong!

Ground level was never his problem. But he did go through a bad patch of dropping essentially uncontested overhead marks. But I think that was a confidence thing, once it clicked that seemed to go away.

Thankgod cause I (like many in here) was 9/10th of the way to writing him off! I love when a young kid proves me wrong!

I reckon it was an attitude transplant that led to his radical mprovement.

I reckon it was an attitude transplant that led to his radical mprovement.
Whatever it was it worked for him. TBH I think Berg plays a lot this year, and plays well.

Also, big early call is we end up trading him at seasons end. Once the Jesse Hogan experiment fails in GWS, I predict that bringing him up to play along side of his brother as a CHF/2nd Ruck would be very attractive to the Giants. Especially if he keeps tracking the way he's going.

With all 200+cm 18 year old players its easy to focus on their height. But I think one of the things that gets glossed over with Riley is his playing weight, to get to 102kg as a 17 year old, and to carry it so effortlessly is very uncommon, and is a massive accomplishment.

Just on that alone he is 2-3 years ahead of most 200cm rookies as most take that long just to get up to that weight, and then need to learn to play with it.

As such I think Riley's best footy could come a hell of a lot sooner then most think.

Whatever it was it worked for him. TBH I think Berg plays a lot this year, and plays well.

Also, big early call is we end up trading him at seasons end. Once the Jesse Hogan experiment fails in GWS, I predict that bringing him up to play along side of his brother as a CHF/2nd Ruck would be very attractive to the Giants. Especially if he keeps tracking the way he's going.

I would be very surprised if we traded Berg and if we did, we'd be dragged kicking and screaming to do so.

Really when it comes to Elliots career, the best place he could be is Collingwood (when Mihocek is your best key forward...), then Adelaide (seeing EH is our best at the moment) and North so I don't expect a trade to happen. Especially not to a team like the Giants who will be in and out of cap hell in the forseeable future (and if Elliot keeps developing he will not be cheap, contested marking key forwards are worth their weight in gold).

Timing wise it does not seem to match up.

I would be very surprised if we traded Berg and if we did, we'd be dragged kicking and screaming to do so.

Really when it comes to Elliots career, the best place he could be is Collingwood, then Adelaide and North so I don't expect a trade to happen. Especially not to a team like the Giants who will be in and out of cap hell in the forseeable future (and if Elliot keeps developing he will not be cheap, contested marking key forwards are worth their weight in gold).

Timing wise it does not seem to match up.
GWS just lost a million dollar player in Cameron, a star HBF in Williams, and a young gun they were prepared to remunerate handsomely.

Next year Kelly comes back out of contract and I doubt he signs on for a 3rd time. Not to mention Mumford and Davis finishing up (as well as Shaw this year).

Their salary cap situation is vastly better then in previous years and will most likely get better again at seasons end. I think if they wanted to make the play for a 2nd tier FWD they could do it easily.

GWS just lost a million dollar player in Cameron, a star HBF in Williams, and a young gun they were prepared to remunerate handsomely.

Next year Kelly comes back out of contract and I doubt he signs on for a 3rd time. Not to mention Mumford and Davis finishing up (as well as Shaw this year).

Their salary cap situation is vastly better then in previous years and will most likely get better again at seasons end. I think if they wanted to make the play for a 2nd tier FWD they could do it easily.

I would be very surprised if Kelly does not resign with the Giants. After all, he has an 8-year option at nearly a million a year on the table (source: https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/kelly-s-buddy-giant-deal-two-plus-eight-equals-10-years-20190801-p52d24.html#:~:text=Greater Western Sydney has made,until the end of 2021). I reckon COVID would guarantee that option being taken up (and you'd be pretty foolish not too, that's a lot of money and security in what is a very uncertain time).

Mumford wouldn't be on much as well, seeing he returned from retirement, even Davis might not be on a lot noting his injury issues. Then you have to deal with a few looming spectres as well in 2021. Tom Green stands out in particular, clubs will be going very hard at him as he's really the next superstar on GWS list (and is likely a key reason as to why Hately jumped ship); likewise Lachlan Ash. Jacob Hopper is also looking at a pretty big payday if he's not on one already. Of course, we can't forget about Jake Riccardi either, who would be the benefactor if the Hogan experiment failed and has already looked like a very solid 2nd key forward (noting GWS currently have four key forward options, seeing Hogan, Himmelberg, Finlayson and Riccardi). Even with their losses, GWS are still operating with a strong to very strong list at the moment.

I reckon we could completely rule out Elliot Himmelberg to GWS outside of "it's a nice story". We're more likely to get Harrison then the other way around, and I'd give our chances of landing Harry in 2023 as lukewarm as best. Likely relying on him being the loser out of that four way dog-fight for GWS key position spots.

I would be very surprised if Kelly does not resign with the Giants. After all, he has an 8-year option at nearly a million a year on the table (source: https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/kelly-s-buddy-giant-deal-two-plus-eight-equals-10-years-20190801-p52d24.html#:~:text=Greater Western Sydney has made,until the end of 2021). I reckon COVID would guarantee that option being taken up (and you'd be pretty foolish not too, that's a lot of money and security in what is a very uncertain time).

Mumford wouldn't be on much as well, seeing he returned from retirement, even Davis might not be on a lot noting his injury issues. Then you have to deal with a few looming spectres as well in 2021. Tom Green stands out in particular, clubs will be going very hard at him as he's really the next superstar on GWS list (and is likely a key reason as to why Hately jumped ship); likewise Lachlan Ash. Jacob Hopper is also looking at a pretty big payday if he's not on one already. Of course, we can't forget about Jake Riccardi either, who would be the benefactor if the Hogan experiment failed and has already looked like a very solid 2nd key forward (noting GWS currently have four key forward options, seeing Hogan, Himmelberg, Finlayson and Riccardi). Even with their losses, GWS are still operating with a strong to very strong list at the moment.

I reckon we could completely rule out Elliot Himmelberg to GWS outside of "it's a nice story". We're more likely to get Harrison then the other way around, and I'd give our chances of landing Harry in 2023 as lukewarm as best. Likely relying on him being the loser out of that four way dog-fight for GWS key position spots.
Well, instead of us going down speculation rabbit hole, should we thrown down a good old fashioned 'buy you a metaphorical beer' bet?

Berg traded in 2021 being the keypoint, with a bonus point for calling GWS?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, instead of us going down speculation rabbit hole, should we thrown down a good old fashioned 'buy you a metaphorical beer' bet?

Berg traded in 2021 being the keypoint, with a bonus point for calling GWS?

I'm for that.

Just thinking a bit more about this... if we’re looking for a spot for TT early on could it be in Lynch’s connector role? He’s a great runner, and a very good kick.
Might give us more options coming out of defense. If we have a big marking player on both wings, maybe our new kick out strategy can be to bomb it long on to the right OR the left?

Just thinking a bit more about this... if we’re looking for a spot for TT early on could it be in Lynch’s connector role? He’s a great runner, and a very good kick.
Might give us more options coming out of defense. If we have a big marking player on both wings, maybe our new kick out strategy can be to bomb it long on to the right OR the left?
woaaaaa slow down turbo. You don't throw out a decade long strategy on a whim. Probably best to stick with it for another 5 years just to be safe.

With all 200+cm 18 year old players its easy to focus on their height. But I think one of the things that gets glossed over with Riley is his playing weight, to get to 102kg as a 17 year old, and to carry it so effortlessly is very uncommon, and is a massive accomplishment.

Just on that alone he is 2-3 years ahead of most 200cm rookies as most take that long just to get up to that weight, and then need to learn to play with it.

As such I think Riley's best footy could come a hell of a lot sooner then most think.

To put it in perspective, he's only around 5kg lighter than Dixon (who is a monster). This, as you say, is bloody uncommon for such a young frame.

Would Gold Coast not make more sense a couple of years down the line? May well lose Ben King to Saints. Not much key forward depth there. Part-exchange for Rankine?

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Riley Thilthorpe - Signed to End of 2028

Remove this Banner Ad

Back